shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for a yellow stone and setting !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lacey K

Rough_Rock
I have a beautiful yellow citrine thats been in my family for a long long time and now i''d like to put it into an engagement ring. I''ve attatched a picture of the citrine and im trying to attatch a picture of the " inspiration " ring. The size of the stone is roughly 8x8. If anybody has any ideas for a cathedral setting, or anything let me know. I have talked to a few local jewlers and they all want to make me a ring that i hate, or recut the stone, YUCK !!

yellowstone1081186.JPG

Lacey K

Rough_Rock
Here is the inspiration ring. Budget friendly suggestions please
1.gif

Inspirationring1081183.JPG

hay joe

Shiny_Rock
This one is $566.65 at Raineri.

raineriring.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

Just want to be sure that you know that citrine is a variety of quartz and as such is on the soft side. It won''t hold up as an everyday ring IMO.

Since this is a family stone, I am presuming that you don''t want to replace the stone every few years. It might be better as a RHR than an e-ring.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
hey joe''s is a great option..how budget friendly do you want?

also, seconding Pandora that citrine is awfully soft for everyday wear and I''m sure you don''t want to damage a family stone...

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Definitely too soft for an engagement ring.

Lacey K

Rough_Rock
Wow that''s good to know, no jeweler has ever mentioned that citrine is soft! And I must say its shocking to me to hear because of the age and it being previously worn on a daily basis. I''ve always taken for granted that it is a citrine, could it be something else ? Is there a way to find out ?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are lucky, it may be a yellow topaz but you have to bring it to a gemologist for identification. However, I have a citrine pendant that has been kept in my family since the 50-es. Not a single scratch! I think people took better care of their stones those days...

Lacey K

Rough_Rock
Hay joe ... Thanks for the website they have some reasonable settings. BTW I would like to keep the budget under 2000
22.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 12:21:12 AM
Author: crasru
If you are lucky, it may be a yellow topaz but you have to bring it to a gemologist for identification. However, I have a citrine pendant that has been kept in my family since the 50-es. Not a single scratch! I think people took better care of their stones those days...
The highlighted word is the key - if it were in a ring, I''m sure it would have quite a few scratches after 50 years of constant wear.

Lacey, you can still have your citrine set in an e-ring if you don''t plan on wearing it 24/7. If you''ll put it on just when you go out, there''s no reason not to have a citrine ring. But even if you wear it just a few hours a week you''ll still have to be careful with it, cause it''s a princess cut and you''d like to set it in prongs. Prong settings are quite open and tend to leave the stone more exposed, while princess cuts or any shapes with sharp points are famous for their tips being their weak spots, which are in the greatest danger to suffer damage by an accidental impact.

Of course, the stone could turn out to be one of the more durable species, which would make it somewhat easier to wear, but it''s shape and your prefered setting still make it something I wouldn''t recommend for daily wear.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think the stone would look great in that setting. I don''t know much about softness but if that''s the case then it could still be an occasional wear ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a pretty citrine but it is definitely not an everyday wear ring which strikes it out as an engagement ring. It is much too soft to handle the wear and tear of daily life. It can be an occasional wear ring if you choose though, meaning only wearing it out for show but removed as soon as you are home. It also has to be in a very protective setting since it looks to be a princess cut with 4 very pointy corners. I recommend chevron prongs in a lower setting, rather than a cathedral style.

Crasru,
Any stone set as earrings or pendant will show far less damage than a ring due to the nature of the location they are worn. Hands have a lot of movement, even more than we think we move them around. We don’t bang our heads or upper body into things so it is very protected there.

Lacey K

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the great information guys ! Tomorrow i''m going to see a gemologist to see exactly what it is
1.gif
. If it is citrine it will stay in the box ! If its something else its going into an e-setting, so keep posting your setting recomendation pictures please !!

Lacey K

Rough_Rock
Well... the stone was citrine , so no e-ring. However we found a beautiful yellow saphire !!!
30.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/23/2010 10:48:05 AM
Author: Lacey K
Well... the stone was citrine , so no e-ring. However we found a beautiful yellow saphire !!!
30.gif
I am sorry about the citrine, but the sapphire is great news! Would you mind sharing a few pictures, the specs and the entire story with us (yes, I am nosey, aren''t I?)

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
looking forward to seeing the yellow sapphire.. i love yellow gems! :)

Lacey K

Rough_Rock
Upon going to the jewelry store the second time, i have decided upon a citrine !! ( shame on me, " it wont last " ) but thats the risk im willing to take ! It''s a rich light yellow, princess cut , 8mmX8mm in size (the picture doesnt do it justice !! but its gorgeous!) we''re having it set into an engagement ring something similar to the setting in the picture. can''t wait till it''s done !!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

centerstone10511123.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lacey,
I'm somewhat confused. If you already have a 8x8 mm princess cut citrine (passed down to you), why are you getting another 8x8 mm princess cut citrine for your e-ring? Or are you saying that you've decided to use your passed down 8x8 mm citrine? Ah....I think I misunderstood you the first time. The setting is gorgeous though and no one will mistake it for anything but an e-ring.

Lacey K

Rough_Rock
Oh thats my fault lol I should have explained. Understanding the nature of citrine a little better now, I think the best place for my family stone is in the box ( maybe set it into a pendant later on, it was originaly set in a broach ) . If anything major happened to the new stone i''d feel much better replacing that than my grandmothers stone !

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Good choice, sounds like the best compromise possible
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results