shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wake2wake

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone-

I have been a long time lurker that decided to sign up and post finally. I stumbled onto PS after visiting Robbins Bros and being very turned off by the high pressure sales tactics. After a while, I found argh&stuff’s thread on picking out a ring, and was amazed at all the great feedback he got, so I figured I would give it a shot too. After learning from here, I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for, but I’m hoping all the experts on here can help me finalize things. Figuring out what styles my girl likes has been pretty hard, since she doesn’t wear much jewelry (I’ve seen her wear necklaces maybe 2-3 times in the past 4 years), but the setting that I think will be the best thus far is the "Tiffany" Style Bead Set Solitaire setting at whiteflash. I am hoping to get a stone that is ~0.75ct for $2500 max. When I first looked I saw a couple of the ACA diamonds in that range, but those seem to be depleted right now. I was hoping that you guys could point me in the right direction in getting a good quality stone. Thanks for all the great advice on here!

-W2W

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like you''ve already done some homework. Why not post the figures for a few you''ve seen and some of the experts on here can let you know what they think?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Wake,

Going to I SI2 may just get you there. Preferring to be satisfied with AGS0, here's one to consider.

P.S. More power to Jonathan for adopting the Gem Adviser in the search by cut db here.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 4:06:12 AM
Author:wake2wake

Hi everyone-

I have been a long time lurker that decided to sign up and post finally. I stumbled onto PS after visiting Robbins Bros and being very turned off by the high pressure sales tactics. After a while, I found argh&stuff’s thread on picking out a ring, and was amazed at all the great feedback he got, so I figured I would give it a shot too. After learning from here, I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for, but I’m hoping all the experts on here can help me finalize things. Figuring out what styles my girl likes has been pretty hard, since she doesn’t wear much jewelry (I’ve seen her wear necklaces maybe 2-3 times in the past 4 years), but the setting that I think will be the best thus far is the 'Tiffany' Style Bead Set Solitaire setting at whiteflash. I am hoping to get a stone that is ~0.75ct for $2500 max. When I first looked I saw a couple of the ACA diamonds in that range, but those seem to be depleted right now. I was hoping that you guys could point me in the right direction in getting a good quality stone. Thanks for all the great advice on here!

-W2W
I really like that setting but it is kind of on the expensive side. (1,250 or 1,750 depending on the metal) Also the thickness of that band might take away from your beautiful .75 carat ACA stone. You might want to consider a thin tiffany style solitaire. It will cost A LOT LESS and it will make your center stone stand out A LOT MORE.
just my .02
good luck

ETA: also, if you save money on the setting, you could go with a diamond like this:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2323660.htm#

wake2wake

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone-

I called and talked to Whiteflash today, and asked them about stones that fit my criteria. I looked at the stone that Virginia recommended, and they told me that it was not eye clean and had a black inclusion that could be seen relatively easily. I also took a look at another I/SI1 that they told me WAS eyeclean, that is .72 ct. I ran the HCA on this stone, and it scored a 1.

As to the setting - I picked it because I liked the head on the ring, since the ONLY comment I have ever heard made by was her pointing out an ad on the back of a magazine to ''explain'' that the Tiffany rings were different because they had 6 prongs. My original idea for an e-ring was a 3 stone ring, but I was talked out of this (by Robbins Bros) because they told me that these were really anniversary rings, and not e-rings. I liked the symbolism of the 3 stone ring...but dont want it to be too far off for an e-ring. Maybe some of you guys could comment on this for me? Thanks again for all the feedback - you guys are a great resource!

-W2W

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
As far as a three stone ring not being engagement enough, there are quite a few PSers who would smack them with a beautiful three-stone engagement ring for the very nerve of saying that.
2.gif
Alj, are you listening?

Your girlfriend's preference is the only thing that should dictate your choice. She, however, likes a six prong, and you like the WF design (bravo, it's one of my faves). I think that the .72 that you mention that is eyeclean will do quite nicely.

shay

Edited because I can't spell today.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
As far as solitaire vs. three-stone ... it is all a matter of personal choice. A three stone can be used as an engagement ring if that is the style you like.

It sounds like if the ONLY comment your girlfriend has ever made about rings was to point out the tiffany style six prong, that is probably pretty important to her and you should stick with it.

Whiteflash is a custom jewelry maker so if you like the head on that setting but want it on a solitaire or a three-stone, ask for it, they will make it for you.

good luck

wake2wake

Rough_Rock
Choosing a setting has been a major difficulty for me because of how little she has said. I started by looking at the 3 stones, the started looking at the heart shaped diamonds because they were unique, and now i have switched again to the Tiffany beat set setting.

Even with the 1 comment about the tiffanys ad, there was a mixed message about it. Later, she told me that someone she knew was insistent on getting an actual Tiffanys ring, and that her bf couldnt afford this, and had to have a replica custom made for her. She thinks (like me before i started reading on PS) that custom making a ring was a very expensive process. So, she refered to the Tiffanys the 2nd time as "that ring that he had to custom made for that girl."

The uncertainty about which to finally pick is what attracted me to whiteflash, since they allow you to return the entire ring (not just the diamond) in case she wants to exchange it for a different style afterwards.

Thanks so much for all the great advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results