shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!!!! First time online diamond buyer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monkster

Rough_Rock
First time diamond buyer and I have a few questions about the following EGL cert

Cut & Shape: Oval
Carat weight: 1.18 Flour: Moderate Blue
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: SI2
Graining: Nil
Dimensions: 8.82 - 5.77 x 3.60 mm.
Total Depth: 62% Crown Height: 17%
Table Width: 53% Pavillion Depth: 41%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted

Comments: "DiaScript" in the girdle

Questions???
1. Is this a good diamond?
2. What does "DiaScript" in the girdle mean?
3. Confused on Clarity rating? I understand a little, but was wondering if SI2 is noticeable to the naked eye?

Thanks for the support,
Scott

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hi Monkster

It''s pretty impossible to say if this is a nice diamond given just the numbers. Have you seen the diamond? Can you get pictures of it?

As far as whether it''s eye clean, I would say there''s a pretty good chance that it is not. Is the cert EGL USA? EGL generally tends to grader easier than GIA, so this stone may be a GIA I1. What vendor is selling this stone? Your best bet would be to call them and ask their opinion on the diamond and whether or not it is eye clean.

good luck!

monkster

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/2/2005 1:01:17 PM
Author: icekid
Hi Monkster

It''s pretty impossible to say if this is a nice diamond given just the numbers. Have you seen the diamond? Can you get pictures of it?

As far as whether it''s eye clean, I would say there''s a pretty good chance that it is not. Is the cert EGL USA? EGL generally tends to grader easier than GIA, so this stone may be a GIA I1. What vendor is selling this stone? Your best bet would be to call them and ask their opinion on the diamond and whether or not it is eye clean.

good luck!
Ice kid,

Thanks for the update. I have not seen the diamond, but will call them and ask about weather it is EGL USA and if I could get a picture of it. Also I will ask if it is eye clean.

Would you happen to recommend any online loose diamonds sites?

Thanks,

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Monk,
Generally speaking, serious dealers only use EGL if they don't get the grade the want from GIA- or some other reason.
I always look for these reasons.

There is no comparison between a diamond graded H/SI2 from GIA and almost any of the diamonds that get that same grade from EGL.
Icekid brings up a very good point- An EGL SI2 is very likelyt to be worse by GIA standards.

In the case of an oval a good digital photo is absolutely essential.
There are a lot of variations on the oval shape.
Some you may love, and it's likely that there are those which will NOT please you.
A good photo will give you the idea of the proifile.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The numbers you posted seem to indicate the diamond has an overly high crown, and possibly a shallow pavilion. This COULD be a very attractive diamond, but it could also be a dud too. It has to be seen to be properly and accurately commented about.

Proportion is just indiciative, it isn''t a if this is an "x" then it will render light return performance wonderfully. Your reliance on "just the numbers" limits your knowledge about this stone.

I''d advise you not to rely on the seller''s word alone. You need an expert who is in "your corner".

I''d seriously advise you to find an indpendent expert, and get him to advise you professionally so you make a totally informed decision.

Rockdoc

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
I really don't know much about ovals, except that I think they are really beautiful and elegant.

Have you read all the tutorial stuff for "fancy shapes" at the top of the page? There is also a neat tool where you can enter the dimensions and get an idea of the oval's proportions, since they can really vary. Go here https://www.pricescope.com/fancy.asp and scroll to the very bottom of the page. The AGA cut class charts can get you started, too (seeing the specs that are considered "ideal" or "premium"). http://www.gemappraisers.com/chartFrameset.htm

Goodoldgold.com always seems to carry high quality stones. There is a wealth of info on that site, too. Try this oval for starters:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/oval_1_01ct_e_si1.htm The specs look nice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results