carat
color
clarity

Help Finding Padparadscha (Or Spinel) for E-Ring

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1432152074|3879214 said:
The more light you let into the setting, the more the stone will retain its flashiness.
Metal colour can help with the colour or make it look yuckier. I would try it out with different metal colours to see which one suits it best. I'm not sure that WG is the best choice.
I agree I think white gold may not be the right color.

Another fun test, go put it on a quarter and then on a penny. See how you feel about the color next to those metals.

I can think of some really cool settings for it, but what did you want to spend? What style do you like besides halo? Do you want it set long ways or sideways

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Budget for a setting is tight: $1,000 or less.

I want it set in the more typical cushion way (N-S), not the sideways arrangement.

I tried it against a penny and a quarter, and I didn't care for either. :)

Maybe it will have to be RG...

I tried it in the setting of my previous E-ring (a diamond with microwave WG halo), and I didn't like that either.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The penny = rose gold
Quarter = white gold
I'm afraid you won't like where this is headed.

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Neil, as far as settings go, I like elegance and simplicity. I like thin, clean lines, without a lot of "clutter." I do not like chunky rings, thick bands, or a complicated design (which is probably good, because my budget likely doesn't allow for it!)

Here are some examples of the settings I like:

_30406.jpg

cushion-cut-morganite-engagement-ring-rose-gold-diamond-pave-2.jpg

_346.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David klass can do a setting for you and I suspect within your budget as long as you tell him your budget upfront. He can get those claws as pointy as you like.

I saw this, made me think of your ring ideas

I echo chronos concerns though. If you dont like it in any metal....what's a gal to do

screenshot_2015-05-20-16-20-44_1.jpg

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
I could see it warming up in rose gold and, although YG is not my first choice (nor my favorite), I did put it against a YG setting I have, and it looked nice.

I supposed I could take it to my local Shane Co to check it out against other settings, and decide on the color that way? Then mail it off to Mr. Klass?

That solitaire setting is pretty; I don't love the channel setting (if that's how those diamonds are set).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ejacobson|1432153943|3879234 said:
I could see it warming up in rose gold and, although YG is not my first choice (nor my favorite), I did put it against a YG setting I have, and it looked nice.

I supposed I could take it to my local Shane Co to check it out against other settings, and decide on the color that way? Then mail it off to Mr. Klass?

That solitaire setting is pretty; I don't love the channel setting (if that's how those diamonds are set).

Its actually bright set.
If you wanted a different kind of pave, I'm thinking something else might be better. Either way, wed want to settle on a metal first.

It sucks you dont like yellow gold. Have you had yg jewelry before, or does it just feel "old" or "dated"

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Hey Ej! I just wanted to tell you that there is no pressure WHATSOEVER to keep the stone if you end up not thinking it's right for you. It is very important that you get something you love and I would hate it if you kept it just because of my offer. I say take the full week to review it in different lighting and make sure it's the one you want. You do have 7 days so might as well take advantage of that! I knew full well coming into this that you hadn't seen the stone in person and that you may not like it. Such is the name of the game! Nobody will think that you are ungrateful or anything like that I promise! Everyone just wants you to be thrilled :)

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Niel, I don't hate YG. I do own several YG pieces (jewelry handed down), and it does look good on my skin tone. However, it does feel a little dated to me. I guess I'll have to be open to it if that's what compliments the stone's color the best.

Austinj, thanks for the reassurance. I will certainly take my time assessing. :angel:

Mr. McCormick frequents this particular thread and emailed me some feedback regarding what I've shared. He feels like extinction is present in some degree in every stone, and that setting it may help with that. He suggested a prong setting. He also mentioned that too much light passing through a stone might overwhelm it and cause extinction. He felt like, if the setting prevented so much light from passing through, that it may help make the stone appear brighter. Since I have zero experience with loose colored stones and setting them, does this hold true for those of you with experience?

Thanks, everyone!

ETA: Mr. McCormick is the vendor who sold me the stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My gut feel is that this particular spinel will look best in YG. And yes, please make sure that you do not feel pressured or biased into keeping the stone because that's not what we all would want you to feel.

I agree that some degree of extinction is present in every stone but for me personally, this spinel has too much extinction for me to pay that much and as an e-ring stone. I like colour shifts in CS if both colourways are pleasant to my eye. Not all shifts are "bad" but you have to love the two extreme ends of the shift.

The stone sitting loose in your hand is the closest you can mimic the look of it being prong set. If you cup the entire pavilion, it mimics a bezel setting. Try both to see the effect. For me, if the stone doesn't look great off the bat, I return it. I don't try to make myself love it because more frequently than not, additional time doesn't make me love it more. I also don't want to have to "work hard" to make the stone look pretty; I prefer to look pretty almost all the time by itself.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
mochiko42|1432149671|3879179 said:
It's hard to tell how the stone is based on the photos (you can see that skewed color in the photos, OP's hand looks different in all the photos, more orange or blue from the light or camera, it's not "natural" light, so it's hard to gauge the true color and performance of the stone.) even my white diamonds look very yellow in my bedroom which has warm daylight lightbulbs. I would try outdoors, under a tree in shaded sunlight. :)

+1
Please keep in mind ejacobson, all we have to go by are your horrible (sorry, but...) photos to judge the stone.
It is impossible in IMO to judge whether there is extinction, a window, etc., unless the stone is photo'd better.
I suspect it looks most like the "toilet paper under a tree" shot, 1146-1147, which is actually pretty nice.
Remember the comments here are based on what we "see" in the photos, you are the only one who can see the actual stone!

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
I just want to say that everyone on this forum rocks. I am so appreciative of the honest, helpful, objective insight and experience here. People are so knowledgeable and friendly, and I can't think of anywhere else I could find this type of support.

I will continue to play with the stone. I don't like bezel settings much anyway, so I think that's good for this particular stone.

As I mentioned before, in some light I love the stone, and in others I do see quite a bit of extinction, which takes away the sparkle. I feel like I lack the experience to know how that will translate into a set piece of jewelry.

Someone (Chrono, perhaps?) mentioned that they felt like the spinel was too expensive, given the amount of extinction, and the fact that it's in an e-ring. I am not positive that I can find a spinel that I love for less than $500 (and with a wonderful story, to boot!). I am also growing frustrated with purchasing online, and my inability to see potential pitfalls (such as the extinction) in online photographs and videos.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ejacobson|1432229766|3879719 said:
I just want to say that everyone on this forum rocks. I am so appreciative of the honest, helpful, objective insight and experience here. People are so knowledgeable and friendly, and I can't think of anywhere else I could find this type of support.

I will continue to play with the stone. I don't like bezel settings much anyway, so I think that's good for this particular stone.

As I mentioned before, in some light I love the stone, and in others I do see quite a bit of extinction, which takes away the sparkle. I feel like I lack the experience to know how that will translate into a set piece of jewelry.

Someone (Chrono, perhaps?) mentioned that they felt like the spinel was too expensive, given the amount of extinction, and the fact that it's in an e-ring. I am not positive that I can find a spinel that I love for less than $500 (and with a wonderful story, to boot!). I am also growing frustrated with purchasing online, and my inability to see potential pitfalls (such as the extinction) in online photographs and videos.

Istill only looking for a pad color?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ejacobson|1432229766|3879719 said:

Welcome to the world of CS! It is almost impossible to see how something will look in real life versus online pics. We all tend to buy and return stones on a continuous basis. It takes some of us literally YEARS to find a stone we love. This crazy PSer way is probably the most difficult way to buy jewelry. Buying a diamond is tons easier.

On the upside, you have to realize that almost all faceted stones will flash on and off. And in some lights they will close up completely unless they have some silk in them. But the silk will take away sparkle. So, it's a trade off, you have to pick one: silk or sparkle. All these stone pics we all post? It's with the light shining right on there. Most of the time, in lower light, we see flashes of color in a darkish field.

IS there another one out there? Maybe. How long are you willing to wait? How much do you want to spend? Months and months at least. Over a thousand, easily, for the pad color everyone wants.

You have a great stone at a great price. But ask yourself, after we're all gone, and this thread fades away, do you want to see that stone on your finger? Yes or no?

For what it's worth, here's a pad sapphire, unheated for $800. Vendor will shoot a video if asked
http://gemrite.com/sapphire/62-pad-sapphire-110-cts.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with iLander is that you need to decide your trade offs.
How much time are you willing to invest in looking?
What are the trade-offs you will accept for your budget?

What I disagree with is that "in some lights the CS will close up completely unless they have silk". This is dependent on the stone quality. Some stones are more prone to extinction and some stones are more prone to shifting. Those that have very little extinction and hold their colour better are generally more expensive and difficult to find. The question is how long are you willing to search for this type of stone and whether it will fit your budget. I think it is doable but only if you have time on your hands. I understand that not everyone has the time, so the trade off is to accept some colour shifting (which I know some people really love this though) and some extinction.

I don't photoshop my pictures and I don't do any hand shading. I don't even tweak the sharpness, contrast or anything. The only manipulation that takes place is to crop and resize. I don't use fancy lighting techniques either. I've done direct sunlight, low light and fluorescent light pictures.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
ejacobson, overall, do you think the vendor's photos/video represented the stone fairly? Not too many PSers have had experiences with him and I'm curious. :)

iLander said:
For what it's worth, here's a pad sapphire, unheated for $800. Vendor will shoot a video if asked

This type of cut very often has half/half extinction, so look out for that if you ask for a video. ;-)

austinj

Shiny_Rock
I was going to say too Ej, that I think Jim had another larger pink spinel with a bit of orange that he had listed as well. (Says it doesn't shift as much) And it wasn't much more than the one you have. So you would still get the discount. It looks pretty in the video. Just an idea! May be worth checking out :)

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
I've spent a lot of time looking at the stone, talking with my BF, etc., and I am now certain I want to keep it.

As I mentioned before, it is not a perfect stone, but it's a good symbol of our union. After examining it in many lights, I DO like the color shifts, and find them interesting. I think it's a beautiful, uniquely colored stone, and I love the cut, the size, the price, and the pay-it-forward story of kindness that is attached. There is some extinction in certain lights, yes, but I'm never going to find a flawless stone, and the trade-offs are worth it in the end.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. Next we can work on the setting!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander said:

Fwiw, please note that that stone is NOT a padparadscha. John has had that stone on his website for several years. Recently, it seems, he sent it off to AGL, where it was not classified as a padparadscha, but a "Brownish Pinkish Orange." Imo, now that he knows that it is not a pad, he should not be calling it one as its misleading.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Yay Ej that's great! I love color shifters too I think they are always surprising which is nice :) I was going to suggest also looking at the unplated white gold (maybe this was mentioned already?). It would just give a bit of warmth to the metal that may suit the stone. Or possibly white gold with yellow or Rose prongs to compliment? Hopefully your jeweler has some samples for you to look at!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1432268069|3879939 said:
iLander said:

Fwiw, please note that that stone is NOT a padparadscha. John has had that stone on his website for several years. Recently, it seems, he sent it off to AGL, where it was not classified as a padparadscha, but a "Brownish Pinkish Orange." Imo, now that he knows that it is not a pad, he should not be calling it one as its misleading.

Agree! Not a pad and btw. look at the video - this stone has a half and half extinction....

I think the OP has a very beautiful stone now.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Just for curiosities sake.. Why would a stone do that? Have a half and half extinction like that. Is that the cuttings fault?

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Austinj, thank you SO much! I will check out unplated WG. I agree that the stone needs some warmth. I thought that a WG contrast would make it pop, but I don't think it compliments it well IRL.

It's interesting that the $800 pad has been on there for so long. Personally, I don't find that stone attractive at all.

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Loverskites, I just realized I hadn't answered your question.

Initially I felt like the video and picture were fairly different (color-wise) from the stone. However, after having it in so many different light situations, I realize that the stone is just a shifty one, and the light conditions I was viewing it under were different from the vendor's.

And remember that my photography couldn't really capture what the stone looks like IRL. Even one of the best shots I took (wherein the stone looked very pretty to me, but a very different color from what was in front of me) weren't super accurate.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
austinj|1432269612|3879948 said:
Just for curiosities sake.. Why would a stone do that? Have a half and half extinction like that. Is that the cuttings fault?

I think it is the wrong cut - a fine emerald cut would be nicer - this is a split cut - think it is difficult to avoid extinction using this cut for a gem with a normal RI - maybe nice in a sleepy fire opal or a sphene with a high RI - but I am no cutter!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The wrong design chosen can create this half and half shadowing, even if precision cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results