shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a setting like this (see pics)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mork

Rough_Rock
First post here, but I feel like I''ve been here for decades. Looked at so many setting my mind is about to blow.

I really liked the look of tension settings and liked the idea of using titanium, but have ultimatley decided to avoid tension (largely due to an inability to be resized and possible stone security issues) and also to go with a more traditional metal that can be worked with and resized (either white gold or platinum).

I saw the following images this evening and have been searching the online retailers for a similar setting all night without any luck at all. The image shown below is a small ''pinky'' ring, but I would love to have it scaled up for an engagement ring.

Is this a tension setting? In the linked thread, it is referred to as a ''half bezel'' - is this sort of setting secure? If I could find this setting in white gold (or possibly platinum) at a modest price, my search would probably finally be over.

Stealing a pic from this thread,

Pink_Pinky_ring1.jpg

And some more from that same thread:

pnk2.jpg

Can anyone point me to any online retailers with a setting similar to this? It would be GREATLY appreciated. Stone size will probably be in the 0.6-0.7 area.. Also, to make sure I''m not making some sort of ''guy mistake'' - is this an appropriate style for an e-ring? I''m really looking for something a little more unique/modern (open to suggestions here anyone might have).

Any other ''floating style'' rings anyone could recomend?

pahoyafan

Rough_Rock
Mork, I almost bought a really nice floater off of gemnation.com, but decided to go with a plain pave band
from WF since that is where I got my stone (also it wouldn't be a headache when my girl looks for a wedding band to match).
If you go to gemnation.com, wedding rings, Tzivoni 4 Prong tulip setting. Its a really nice setting if you want a floater.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mork!

Is this what you're looking for?

Cathedral Tension Setting
($1200 in white gold)

I think it's a great look if you're wanting modern. Let us know if you need help finding the perfect stone!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2006 1:57:52 AM
Author:mork

Also, to make sure I''m not making some sort of ''guy mistake'' - is this an appropriate style for an e-ring? I''m really looking for something a little more unique/modern (open to suggestions here anyone might have).

#1. Safest: present the stone in a cheap ($50) temp setting and let the girl decide.

If you know you can choose for her without causing dissapointment - see soe more below
4.gif

Any other ''floating style'' rings anyone could recomend?

#2. Sakamoto (there is a website and some models are presented at Pearlmansjewelers.com) and definitely Stuart Moore for a list of designer sharing similar simple, modernistic lines.
38.gif

#3. These are custom rings along the ''floating'' line:

58b.jpg

31b.jpg
First two from David Keeling

DSCN6872_Assorted.jpg
This from ''Platinumsmiths''

Of this last one, there is a three-prong version
Down Here (Mark Morell''s)

And a Whole Page of tensio-style non-tension rings from a Canadian Designer, Ron davidson ($800 or so for these, up to $1500):

Bella%20Coola%20Diamond%20Engagement%20Ringb300.jpg
Toronto%20Diamond%20Engagement%20Ring300.jpg

Just some random ideas...

#4. Something like the Cartier ''Tank'' rings (below an example, not Cartier''s)... just make sure somehow that''s a good idea, because until now, I might be their only fan around here.

4L.jpg

mork

Rough_Rock
I''d prefer to select the setting myself and present her with a completed ring - though I am still considering presenting a dummy-ring in its place.

I''d run by Morell before and loved the 3 prong deisng he has, but just assumed he is way beyond my price range. :)

Thanks for tipping me off on Ron Davidson. I definitley like a few of his designs. Here''s one close to what I had in mind, but there are other attractive ones as well:
Yellowknife%20Diamond%20Engagement%20Ring300.jpg

That page calls the rings ''tension style'' - but are they actually tension set? i.e. could these still be resized?

I don''t find the diamond prices he has to be very attractive which present a problem for me. Does anyone know of any US jewelers online who deal with Ron Davidson settings?

Would a smaller 0.6-0.7 ct stone be overwhelmed by this setting I wonder?

His rings are still more than I was hoping to spend to be honest, but I''ll keep looking and hopefully a few more suggestions come up here as well.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a guy and this is pretty much the design of my ring (but I have side stones on either side of the center stone) and I would not say it''s a "true" tension mount. It''s what most would call a semi-tension mount and there should be no significant issues with resizing should that become necessary.

BTW......I personally love the design and I don''t think it''s one that is either feminine or masculine. It''s just a design that appealed to me. It is quite modern and if you think your fiance will like it, go for it. I love how the center stone floats, but the ring is a bit more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results