shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Fiance's engagement ring showing YELLOW?!

bostonguy2012

Rough_Rock
Hi there --

Thank you in advance for any and all help / any means to calm me down...

Recently proposed to my fiance (she said yes) with a ring that took me about 8 months to decide that she'd want (or so I thought). I proposed, we had a bit of a party and the pictures that were taken of her hand / the ring when we looked at them show YELLOW! We are both in agreement that we don't like that (not knocking those who do, just a personal preference)...why is this happening? The jeweler swears we either a. didn't see yellow b. it was the camera c. it's the lighting...is this all true? I know a G is no D E or F, but should we be seeing yellow? The specifications of the ring are as follows:

ROUND BRILLIANT

Measurements: 6.59 - 6.62 x 4.06 mm
Carat Weight: 1.07 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: SI2
Cut Grade: Excellent

PROPORTIONS

Depth: 61.4%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 32.5°
Crown Height: 13.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.6°
Pavilion Depth: 44.0%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted (3.5%)
Culet: None

FINISH

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Thanks for all of your help

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
What laboratory graded the diamond?

Didine

Rough_Rock
Which lab graded the diamond?

bostonguy2012

Rough_Rock
The report was from GIA ... is there a chance I got taken? i.e. he gave me the GIA certification but it's not really a GIA diamond?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
It could be the lighting at the particular party - or the color of the walls in the venue ... or even the color of the dress she wore. How does the ring look IN REAL LIFE? Because a GIA "G" should not, under any circumstances, look "yellow".

Didine

Rough_Rock
If the diamond was accompanied by a GIA cert, then I suggest you take it to an appraiser to verify your diamond match the report. If your diamond is a GIA G, then the tint you're seeing could be from the surrounding.

bostonguy2012

Rough_Rock
Ok you are making me feel a little better...

outside it looks AWESOME - sparkles like crazy.

In the car or inside, if looking at it from the correct angle I can see a faint tinge of yellow.

How much does it cost to get something like that appraised?

Didine

Rough_Rock
An appraisal shouldn't be too much (under $200). Under the Resources tab, click on Appraisers and choose the state you reside in. Then you can choose the appraiser that's the closest to you and give them a call to inquire about pricing. If you can see a tint in a GIA G, then you're very color sensitive.

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
I'm not certain you should see yellow inside the house or in the car unless her diamond is picking up color from the surroundings? Are your walls painted yellow by chance? I have a GIA graded G color and it NEVER looks yellow. I agree that you should verify that your diamond is the same as the GIA certificate. You can go to a trusted jeweler and look at the diamond with a microscope and verify that any inclusions match the GIA plot

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its lighting or the environment. A GIA G will not show yellow body tint the way you describe.

And please don't get in a panic about a switched diamond. That is pretty unlikely. Since its an SI2, if you have a loupe, you should be able to find the grade making inclusions yourself (they are plotted on the report) to set your mind at ease.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
bostonguy2012|1340044205|3218783 said:
Ok you are making me feel a little better...

outside it looks AWESOME - sparkles like crazy.

In the car or inside, if looking at it from the correct angle I can see a faint tinge of yellow.

How much does it cost to get something like that appraised?

Diamonds will pick up taupe or browns or greys and it can make the stone appear tinted.

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock
this is strange considering GIA graded it...now EGL on the other hand :Up_to_something:

anyways, the Solasfera i bought recently is a G and i've looked at it in a bunch of different lighting and it always appears very white

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
Don't worry. I have a GIA D colored diamond, and it will pick up yellow from the surroundings.

bostonguy2012

Rough_Rock
So we're thinking the diamond is picking up the yellow from the champagne bottle? (that is one of 2 pictures that I have seen where it is looking yellow)

Chris'%20Engagement%20052.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh boy. You're talking about a single shot of reflected light? That shot could just as easily reflect red or blue -- diamonds refract a whole rainbow of colors, including yellow. That doesn't mean anything about the stone's BODY color. Think of a diamond like a prism. What it reflects is different than the color of the material of the prism itself. Make sense?

bostonguy2012

Rough_Rock
Okay - thank you. You all have certainly helped me not panic (anymore). For what it's worth she unfortunately isn't in love with it and would prefer a wider band and possibly a larger stone.

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock
bostonguy2012|1340046247|3218812 said:
Okay - thank you. You all have certainly helped me not panic (anymore). For what it's worth she unfortunately isn't in love with it and would prefer a wider band and possibly a larger stone.

sounds like a lot more money for you to spend, amigo!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before you change the stone or setting ... have her try on potential wedding rings. The way she'll be wearing her engagement ring for one year or so is different than the way it'll be worn THE REST OF HER LIFE. Many ladies who think the band is "too narrow" don't realize

A) a wider band will make the stone look smaller
B) a wider band will be harder to match with a wedding band
C) a wider band will feel more UNCOMFORTABLE with an eventual wedding band worn next to it.

Re: a larger stone? HA! Buckle up, fella! Can you afford this wife? :tongue:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes, stones with steeper pavilion angles (such as yours) can trap more body color than stones with shallower pavilion angles. But since your stone is a G, it should still appear colorless. Unless maybe it's a low G or really a high H. Otherwise, I'd say it's just reflecting color from the environment around you.

bostonguy2012

Rough_Rock
hahaha that's what I as afraid of...

She isn't normally a materialistic kind of person...but I will definitely have her try on wider bands with a wedding band behind it. With all that being said, she has no idea how much I paid for it (nor will she ever) but I told the jeweler that if need be I CAN spend a bit more (although I'd ideally not like to). The jeweler also said that as we get closer to 1.15 - 1.25 range the price will go up. Is it true that you get the most bang for your buck in the G color range?

Also.... it too much to request a nice flat screen tv out of this deal? :mrgreen: :bigsmile: =) :$$):

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel bad for guys today -- seems younger women are so swept up in the celebrity engagements & girls on the Bachelor who are getting huge rocks (paid for by the show, BTW). There was just an article last week about how Miley Cyrus's engagement (at 19 yrs old) is already having an effect on the size engagement rings being purchased. ALSO: most girls have NO IDEA how much a nice 1ct rock costs or how incredibly prices rise for tiny incremental gains in size. OY.

ETA: If you want her to be REALISTIC about diamond expectations -- you may need to revise your plan about her never knowing what you spent. Perhaps a frank talk about budget is called for! Real life isn't as romantic as movies, right? In the movies they aren't angling for an upgrade immediately! (You def deserve a TV outta the deal.)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cats eyes look red in photos. He's not a demon, it's just a matter of light reflection. Same thing here. Deco is right.

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock
decodelighted|1340047868|3218845 said:
I feel bad for guys today -- seems younger women are so swept up in the celebrity engagements & girls on the Bachelor who are getting huge rocks (paid for by the show, BTW). There was just an article last week about how Miley Cyrus's engagement (at 19 yrs old) is already having an effect on the size engagement rings being purchased. ALSO: most girls have NO IDEA how much a nice 1ct rock costs or how incredibly prices rise for tiny incremental gains in size. OY.

Quoted for truth. I saw in another thread that someone has a budged of 27k for a ring. Boggles my mind!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

bostonguy2012

Rough_Rock
I think what my problem here too is, i don't trust a lot of people. I have this issue where I think that someone is out to get me and by hell or high water I'm not going to be the sucker they take advantage of. Unfortunately too that during this process, you (most times) only do this once. It's not like buying a car where you've seen what the process is, etc.

But is a nice TV too much to ask for? :saint: :saint:

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
bostonguy2012|1340048455|3218854 said:
But is a nice TV too much to ask for? :saint: :saint:

I wish my SO wanted a TV...he thinks i'm buying him a Rolex Daytona as a wedding gift!

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
My GIA G was appraised at an F, so I think you're good. G's usually do NOT show body color. I bet it was your lighting and surroundings...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm another vote for reflecting something in the environment or the flash of fire you just caught at that moment was yellow - could just have easily been red, orange, green, blue or violet. (ROYGBV - rainbow anacronym) A G would not likely be reflecting yellow - but you've already heard that by now!

No, a TV sounds like a fine gift... but not one that will last... just sayin' :wink2:

milton333

Brilliant_Rock

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree - your stone in that picture is showing reflection. Take the ring outside in daylight - not bright sunlight or it will probably go dark - and see what color it looks like at that point. I have a G color stone and in certain rooms it looks like all different kinds of color. Diamonds are like mirrors - they reflect whatever is around them. If you are wearing a red shirt, it will look red or pink.

I think your mistrust is unwarranted in this instance; GIA is strict in color grading and unless the stone does not match the cert (highly unlikely) you do not have a yellow stone.

If she wants another stone altogether - bigger specifically - that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Best of luck to you on that - the cash register is running!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results