shape
carat
color
clarity

help ~ feedback re: peridot

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
faegrace|1299451009|2866242 said:
Wow, what posts since this morning! Thank you so much!. And the pics too, gorgeous :love:

I have a definitely newbie inquiry, not exactly based on this thread but what precisely is a "window" in a faceted gem? A place you can see through? :oops:
Yes, this is an example of a giant window. Usually when a stone is cut too shallow. Some windows can be "closed" if small enough and in certain settings.

See how the edges the light/color is reflected back and in the center you can read an upside down Targ, the center of the stone is cut very shallow so the light isn't reflected back.

cometomywindow%20001.jpg

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
davi ~

thank you for the picture, much appreciated

something I will have to keep an eye out for (hard to tell with most vendors pics, I am sure)

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
No problem. Also be aware that low RI (refractive index) stones will show a "tilt window"

If you look at a stone from lower angles (i.e. not head on) the stone will appear windowed. This doesn't mean it is. Most photos are taken of the stone laying on its side. Just because a stone looks windowed in this photography style, doesn't mean it is.

ETA: Picture examples

This spinel is not windowed at all except when viewed at low angles

Tilt window
gmaspinel%20018.png

Head on

gmaspinel%20009.png

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1299384776|2865835 said:
It happens that I love peridot too. There were some from litnon that I was thinking to get but they were gone by the time I got around to it. I snoozed and loozed. Here are some of my favorites, untouchable by mortals. 22 carats, 90 carats, 137 carat and 10 carat. wow

Remarkably only a day after it was discussed in this thread about the 10.14 peridot I showed, the vendor added a dark background photo on his website. So I thought I would post that here and we could see them side by side. Both views are gorgeous. I am wondering, if set in a bezel would it tend to look more like it does on the dark background?

Lg-PeridotSqAntCu10_14ct.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks greener with the black background and yellower without. Therefore, that's something to note.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very rare and difficult to find a pure green peridot, but the Burmese generally, tend to be the greenest with the Chinese being the yellowiest. There is also a premium attached to certain locales as you’ve noted. I only wish that peridots are a little hardier so please take that into consideration if you plan to set and wear it. I agree that the black background makes it very difficult to gauge the true colour as it enhances lighter toned stones and certain hues.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Please be careful wearing the stone if you set it. Especially don't let it come into contact with any household chemicals - my gemmology tutor once showed us a few before and after photos of things he had dipped in bathroom cleaner for 10 seconds. The peridot was damaged beyond belief!

I have a few peridots - August birthday - and I don't buy them anymore except to leave unset. I'm easy-wearing on my jewellery (heck, I even have a sphene pendant and earrings) and the only stones I have majorly damaged are my peridots - great chunks chipped off... :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results