shape
carat
color
clarity

help--feather not there when I bought diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

not2happy

Rough_Rock
I''m desperate for advice on how to handle a situation with a jeweler from whom I purchased a 3-stone diamond ring. The side stones are .25 carat weight. The center stone was not certified, but was .63 ct and jeweler told me it was an SI2, H color. I looked at the center stone (which was a loose stone) with a loupe and saw some dark spots (not visible to naked eye) but no feather inclusions.

The ring was sent to me upon setting and sizing, and I noticed the center or side stone appeared slightly askew. I went back to the jeweler, who agreed that it was set slightly askew. (I was annoyed at that point that someone as qualified as him would send me a ring when the setting was obviously off-center). Anyway, he sent it back to his jeweler to have it straightened and then mailed it back to me.

Upon receiving the ring, though the stones were straight, the center stone had what looked to me to be a highly visible crack in the corner very close to the prong. I called the jeweler back again and he said he would need to see it to tell. I sent him the ring overnight and asked him to call me once he''d looked at it. I called him 3 times over the course of the week to try to reach him. (He never called). When I finally did reach him, he told me that it wasn''t a "crack" but a feather in the diamond and he''d sent it back to the jeweler to see if he could cover it with a prong. I told him that there was no feather when I bought it, nor was there a feather when he sent it to me the first time (when the diamond were set off kilter). Then he went into this whole thing about having his jeweler pop out the diamond to weigh it to ensure that it was the same diamond. He said "it would be the first time ever" and "he''ll probably tell me where to go when I ask him to pop it out and check". And that if I wasn''t happy with the diamond that I could pay more for a better one. He rushed me off the phone and said he would call me in a couple of days.

How should I handle this? I won''t be happy with a diamond that has a visible feather, and from what I''ve read, the fact that it is close to surface and to edge of diamond is not good! I paid $3600 for the ring. It''s a white gold setting with smaller chips along the band in addition to the 3-stone.

Am I being taken for a ride? What should I do? Please help!

Thanks,
not2happy

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Not really sure there is anything you can do (aside from jeweler's suggestion to buy another stone).

Did any of the purchase documents detail what inclusions were present in the stone at time of purchase? If not, you may be out of luck on this one. Typically, a grading report documents the type and placement of inclusions, but this stone wasn't sold with a grading report. You'd have a tough time establishing that the feather wasn't there previously, and it's not unusual for an SI2 stone to possibly have a feather.

Good luck on this one.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry you are frustrated but unless you ahve paperwork which in cludes a plot of the diamond you are likely out of luck. I think that is why consumer forums such as this so strongly recomend buying a certed diamond. What information was given to you when you made the pruchase? Did the jewler sign everything? I wish I could offer better advice, perhaps RockDoc could give us some more insight.

not2happy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately, I don''t have the paperwork. Another source of my frustration. The jeweler was supposed to have sent the paperwork. I''ve asked him for it several times. When I asked why it was not with the ring, he told me they send out the appraisal info in batches. Now he tells me he was holding off in sending it until he fixes the ring. I made an emotional purchase in not buying a cert diamond and am really kicking myself for it now.

Given that I may not have any recourse with this, do you have any suggestions on how to deal with jeweler to be sure I get as good a deal as possible?

Thanks!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/1/2005 2:33:00 PM
Author:not2happy

.... And that if I wasn''t happy with the diamond that I could pay more for a better one....
OK. This sounds like a refund offer to me although it''s got kind of a snooty tune to it. If he''s saying that the stone is undamaged and is exactly as it was and he is willing to take it back if you''re unhappy, let him.

Has he offerered of a better one? If the better one is being sold elsewhere will he give you a full refund?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results