shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Evaluating an VS1 OEC w/Cavity

ip2

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Long time lurker but first time poster. I am currently in the market for an OEC that will be set in an engagement ring and have identified a potential option. All of the specs (color = N, clarity = VS1, size = 2.9 carats) are exactly what we are looking for in the stone (pictures attached). Unfortunately, the GIA report (also attached) shows that the stone has a cavity, which looks like it's at the top of the pavilion right under the girdle (but that's from a novice's perspective).

From everything I have researched, cavities seem to be a big no-no when buying a diamond but most of this information has been about round brilliants/modern cuts and I am curious if the "buyer beware" advice applies to an OEC/this particular stone's cavity. If it helps with the evaluation, we are planning on setting it in a bezel! Any and all advice here is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 11.12.12 AM.png

IMG_3721.jpg

Attachments

• 5222750119.pdf
    572.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tough one, I'm not a fan of cavities but the gridle is med-slightly thick and your putting it in a bezel.
The greatest danger is when its being set.
Is the seller doing the setting and a full refund if anything happens to the stone while setting?

ip2

Rough_Rock
Tough one, I'm not a fan of cavities but the gridle is med-slightly thick and your putting it in a bezel.
The greatest danger is when its being set.
Is the seller doing the setting and a full refund if anything happens to the stone while setting?

Yes, the seller is doing the setting; I didn't ask about a refund if something happens while setting but I certainly will now :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Converted the GIA report to an image format and attaching so others can see w/o having to download, etc.

For me, it boils down to a few factors:

1. Overall clarity grade. VS1 is pretty respectable and indicative the cavity is pretty minimal, even as the grade setting inclusion. While I inherently dislike cavities as a general rule, I would worry slightly less being a VS1+.

2. Diamond rarity. Can a reasonably equal or better stone be substituted out that doesn't have a cavity? MRB's are a dime a dozen, so it's easy to reject those stones. However, if you can't find an equal replacement within reason then perhaps there is some incentive to consider it. But if you can easily replace, why deal with the headache?

3. Gut feeling. Some call it other things, but at the end of the day, it's your feeling about a situation, object, person, matter, etc. I can't tell you the times I've walked into a situation and something felt off so I proceeded cautiously and it paid dividends. I have learned to harness this skill, trust my judgment and apply it to practically everything. I would encourage you to do the same here. Nothing can ruin a great moment quicker than going a direction that causes you doubt or insecurity.

4. Risk-reward ratio. Every person's perception and tolerance for risk can vary considerably. But the bigger point is that for any risk you take there needs to be an equal reward that makes taking that risk acceptable. Is this stone priced lower than a comparable stone w/o cavity? Or is the seller making any concessions on your behalf knowing you are uneasy about the cavity?

At the end of the day, a cavity is a small hole or divot in the diamond. I hate that description but it is what it is. It's probably going to be okay, especially setting in a bezel. The greatest risk is probably during the setting process, so definitely make sure the jeweler takes all that risk -- in writing. But you need to be mentally okay with this so it doesn't sour your purchase.

Attachments

• 5222750119.png
    5222750119.png
    841.4 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: ip2

newdiamondworld

Shiny_Rock
that is not a well cut OEC
I wouldn't worry about that cavity as much as how terrible the cut is

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results