shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! E-ring on a budget!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GirlCellist

Rough_Rock
Hi! So I've been lurking for a few days, and have learned a TON! My boyfriend and I have decided to give each other engagement rings (takes away the surprise aspect, but this way we get rings we both like!). His was easy- he's an engineering student, and wanted a tungsten carbide e-ring and his wedding band will be titanium. As for myself, however... I'm a bit more picky ;-) I don't want any diamonds, so I started looking at rubies and that lead to spinels and padparascha sapphires and... everything else! I've picked out my setting (14k 3mm cathedral, done by Wink), so now I'm having a minor freak-out trying to figure out how and where to buy a nice, but not expensive, stone. I live in a pretty small town, the jewelry shops I've been to haven't really impressed me with their prices, lol!

I'm on a $600 budget (we're right at the end of our undergrads, can't afford much), the setting is $350, so I'm looking at finding something in the $250 range. I'm looking for one stone in the .75-1 ct range, I'd love a bright red ruby, but it looks like that might not be in the cards (unless you all know something I don't, hehe). I also really like pink-orange and light yellow sapphires, and the look of red spinel (I don't want people to think I'm 'faking' a ruby...not sure about that) Here are the gems I'm currently looking at seriously:

http://www.ajsgems.com/product/940c7d9b-466e-4b93-88cf-e0ddf5d83e9e.aspx

http://www.ajsgems.com/product/e457ec69-6882-48fb-9db6-53f2c3cc8cdb.aspx

http://www.ajsgems.com/product/0ffc925e-685e-4d74-9caf-41201e5f4997.aspx

http://www.ajsgems.com/product/1701adce-6bf4-4306-97a6-512924644fc0.aspx

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Padparadscha/Oval/stoneid=PA250

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Padparadscha/Oval/stoneid=PA91 (I'm drooling over this one, but it's way out of range
7.gif
)

Any suggestions, thoughts? I've been poring through gemstone websites for HOURS being picky and not really finding anything I'm in love with. I'm also going to be wearing both rings on my right hand, as I'm a cellist and can't have rings (or really any jewelry) on my left hand, unfortunately! I want to make something happen that is simple and beautiful, but that still looks like an engagement ring ;-)

Thank you!

Samantha
35.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey, congratulations on your engagement! You might have better luck posting this in the colored stone forum (it might be worth e-mailing one of the mods to ask), but as long as you''re here ....

You''re looking at some gorgeous stones, but they all have their pluses and minuses. For the two from NSC: these are not padparadscha. Padparadscha refers to a very specific, richly saturated tone that''s balanced perfectly between a vibrant pink and strong orange; if good coral were translucent, it might come close. While lighting influences photos to a certain extent, on the basis of these photos, I wouldn''t go for them; even if the color on my monitor is off with the pale pink that''s showing up, they''re just not deeply saturated enough.

The fourth and second stones from AJS have nice color, but the faceting looks wonky and asymetrical (particularly the second one): if it were me, I''d be most tempted by the spinel, and then the first sapphire, but I''d definitely e-mail the company to ask for additional photographs.

An additional thought: since you''re working with Wink Jones, could it be worth asking him if he''s aware of any Richard Homer cut gems that might fit your budget? The ones on his site (http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/Query1.cfm) seem a little over budget, but he might have other stones available that would be more what you''re looking for ... and with his stones, you definitely won''t have any worries about anyone thinking that you''re "faking" anything - they''ll be too busy exclaiming that they''re never seen anything like it!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement...and welcome, welcome, welcome to PS!

I wanted to touch for a moment on your comment about wanting your ring to look like an engagement ring...
I think that if you choose a colored stone, and wear it on your right hand---while you''ll be engaged, it probably wont be taken automatically at first sight as an engagement ring, since, well...RHR are very popular these days!

I''m by no means a colored stone expert, but there is a forum here that is all about colored stones and I''m sure they might be able to assist you in the ins and outs of picking the right colored stone!

Good luck, and congratulations AGAIN!!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pardon me, if I come across as rude - I think your idea sounds FUN and CREATIVE, but if you''re wearing one of these beautiful colored stones on your RIGHT hand, sans any diamonds atal, it''s probably not going to look like an engagment ring. What about a beautiful diamond band in your price range and wear a plain band with it for your WR? Seem like it would say bride-to-be/bride and also be practical in your profession. Went on a couple websites and saw some beauties - sorry to chime in off course ......
BEST OF LUCK!!!!! And - CONGRATS!

GirlCellist

Rough_Rock
Thanks to both of you!!

Yeah, I'd been doing some reading on padparaschas... I just really like that light orange-pink ;-) I found another pad at AJS, what do you think? Wink mentioned he didn't have any red stones on hand, perhaps I'll ask him about colored sapphires. I also like the light yellow sapphires- kind of like a yellow diamond! Not sure though, with my super-pale skin! I think pink-orangish would suit my coloring best.

Another one, quite a bit more expensive :)

Motown- true, true :) I inquired about adding a couple of small stones to the side of the setting I chose, but it won't work out with the cathedral shape (unless I want to do custom, which I can't afford...). I've been avoiding diamonds in general, I don't want something too...small, y'know? What did you find?

ETA: My concern with a left-hand ring is that it'll knock into my cello- it's kind of a 50-50 thing amongst cellists as far as wedding rings go... I'm thinking, though, that since the band is so narrow (3mm) I may be able to get away with wearing it sans damage ;-)

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
sorry I can''t help you, but I just wanted to chime in and say hello and that your screenname is awesomeness. :)

i wear an extremely thin (2mm) white gold band on my left ring finger sized about 1/8 a size to big. Any bigger and it would move around, any smaller and it would be really restrictive when stretching for a high four or playing anything too fast.

if you want to wear something on your left finger, this could be an option. I can''t wear my engagement ring at all when playing on either hand (it''s way to heavy and noticeable. i swear I feel it with every movement when I play). I haven''t had a problem shifting, stretching, or even in thumb position with my wedding band though. I think it might be because it''s white gold as well (lighter). I play an old instrument and am really careful and haven''t had an issue. I know a lot of cellists don''t wear rings, but if you want to give a go, just wanted to let you know :)

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
we responded at the same time! with the same though. great cellists think alike :)

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
oops double post.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And, since I''m procrastinating on work ... what about something like this? http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Orange/Cushion/stoneid=U270

It''s in the same saturation zone as the last two stones, maybe a little brighter, though it''s closer to an apricot color then it is to a pink: size-wise, it''s at the upper end of your range, and the cut looks very pretty. That would look lovely in a yellow gold setting, I think ....

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
go to weddingbands.com and look under the product catagory "anniversray rings." The one in the middle is in your price range - maybe pair it with a plain wedding band - it seems like somthing you could continue to wear and incorporate even if you added another ring to it way down the line - when you''re both wildly successfull musicians (wait is he a musician - or just you - anyway, you get the idea). Just food for thought. Like I said, your idea sounds fun and different - if you love color go for it! good luck!

GirlCellist

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

Good to hear about being able to stretch the 4th without the ring being a bother- gives me some hope
1.gif

That''s a lovely sapphire color! However... I''m looking for a round or oval (prob. should''ve mentioned that..) stone
2.gif

Maybe I''ll have to compromise and just not wear the e-ring when I''m playing. I like the sparkly band, but... I kind of want a gem sticking out!

E B

Ideal_Rock
GirlCellist,

I don't know how flexible your budget is, but I thought I'd show you this beauty from Whites Gems:

1.18 ct Pink Spinel $385

I'll keep looking for other stones you might like. :)

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered a brown diamond?

Link

GirlCellist

Rough_Rock
So I was doing some more hunting around for champagne/yellow sapphires, and look what I stumbled on for $675:

http://www.planetarygems.com/images/Burma%20ruby%20ring%20Margaret%205.2mm%20RD.jpg

They also have a couple of nicely-colored rubies for $280/ea:

I think I like this one best

This one''s more pink

Thoughts? The finished ring is in the setting I originally wanted, AND has diamonds- by the time we pay for shipping on the stone and mail it out to be set, that finished ring would cost almost exactly what this one they''ve got would...

Here''s the original site:

http://www.planetarygems.com/Rubypage.htm

*ponders*

BTW- gorgeous spinel!

E B

Ideal_Rock
In the ruby ring you posted, I think I see some black spots toward the top of the stone, right in between the two prongs. It''s listed as an SI-2, so I''d request more pics.

GirlCellist

Rough_Rock
I did email about more pics- didn''t notice the spots at first...bummer. We''ll have to see, on that one.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EBree, that pink spinel you posted the link to is GORGEOUS! I''ll bet you someone scoops that one just from reading your post!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I AGREE - WOW on that one!

GirlCellist

Rough_Rock
So! We bought the ruby! It should be set by next week (taking it in to the jeweler today, hopefully the setting has been cast), here are a couple of pictures. It was dark when I took them (as soon as I got home), but I looked at it in natural light this morning and it''s amazingly bright blood red. I''m super-excited!

ruby999.jpg

GirlCellist

Rough_Rock
Here''s another (will post much better pics when the ring is done!):

ruby9999.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to say that your screename is cute...I was a long-time violin player in high school who had to teach herself how to play the cello because our orchestra needed one. Anyway, back to the topic...
The ruby you picked is beautiful, and I am sure that your ring is going to be a real stunner! I look forward to seeing your pictures!

GirlCellist

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I''m ridiculously excited ;-) Do you still play?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results