shape
carat
color
clarity

Help ! Don''''t know if I made a huge mistake...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

qville

Rough_Rock
I''d appreciate any assistance. I purchased a stone with an EGL International cert. The diamond is an excellent ideal cut, 2.53 carats, G color and SI1 clarity, 61% total depth, 57% table width, 15% crown height, 43% pavilion depth, VG polish and excellent symmetry. I paid $18,700.

Now for the potentially bad news. I have been reading about the variances in certs. It seems GIA''s are the best and EGL International ones are not widley considered accurate and may be a grade or two off.

Is this true and if so, was I ripped off ? Thanks much...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the price is good for that size stone. have you had it appraised?

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
It''s hard to tell, I''d send it to a trusted independent appraiser. I had an EGL Israel stone off 2 color and 2 clarity grades according to GIA. GOod luck.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
EGL international does not enjoy the best reputation for consistency but this doesn''t make them wrong on every stone. With the specs you supplied, you paid a reasonable price. Have an independent expert grade the stone and see how close it comes to the grading. Even if you disagree by a grade you will probably come out ok. Are you still within the return period? Do you otherwise love it?

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2004 2:37:57 PM
Author:qville
Is this true and if so, was I ripped off ?...
If it's true... there is no knowing without the diamond infront. I doubt this could be lower than SI2 - otherwise there would be some glaring inclusions in there plain for you to see. Be it H SI2 and the price would still not qualify for "rip off", especially since the cut is nice. Two color grades off would bring the price into question, but even then, if that was I SI2 called AGS0 it would be at least as much.

You can easily run a search on Pricescope's database for such comparisons. But there is not much more to tell without the stone at hand, as far as I know.

Hope the 0.2 worth helps a bit.
1.gif

hey joey

Rough_Rock
YES ITS TRUE. SEND THE STONE TO GIA AND SEE WHAT GRADING YOU WILL GET.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I think we get too anal about certs... While EGL international does not have the best reputation for consistency, that does not mean your diamond was graded wrong. Have you ever thought that it might be better than what it was graded at. That happens too.

While technically GIA has the most consistent reputation on color and clarity, keep in mind that they also provide the least amount of other information on the cert and that there are reported problems on them grading fluoresence. A SARIN or other report is usually required to even determine if you have a better cut diamond using the HCA or Dave Atlas''s charts.

Personnally I prefer AGS certs for that reason.

However, I currently have 2 small diamonds being certified by an independent appraiser and rejected sending them to the major labs as unnecessary.

There are several verry good independent appraisers operating on this forum are Dave Atlas (Oldminer), Richard Sherwood, Neil (Denverappraiser) and Rocdoc (not sure of his first name). Marty Haske also participates in this forum - but rarely presents himself as an appraiser for hire and usually is off discussing high level details with the diamond experts on details of cut and advance technologies for the future

I would send the diamond to one of them (with a copy of the cert in a envelope that they can open after they are done with the stone - for comparison) if you want quick verification. I am not sure if I would involve just any local appraiser as the level of service varies appreciably (there was a thread active a few days ago on appraisers telling you what...)

Otherwise, as mentioned above: you have paid a resonable price even if the cert is off by a bit.

Perry

Sounds like getting your diamond to GIA is a good idea. If that isn''t going to work for you, I recommend carefully shopping for a local appraiser.

All that said, my last diamond had a EGL cert, and it was amazing. If you love the diamond, that''s important too.

Smiles, Mary

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Seems to me that you have a certified stone, you just need to make sure the cert is accurate to be sure it is what you want and that you paid a fair price. A good, independent appraiser can do that for you in less time and for less $$ than the GIA will charge you. I would send it off to one ofthe top appraisers mentioned above to get their opinion within the return window.

Also, keep in mind that specs are just specs. As long as you love the stone and paid a fair price, the specs don''t matter unless you think you will be reselling it in the future.

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
if the stone is what is on the cert, no need to worry it is an excellent price. Even if the color and clarity grade are off by 1 (H SI2) you still are in good shape. if it is off by 2 (I I1) then you should reconsider, not a good price for the internet but good for B & M

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results