shape
carat
color
clarity

help!! diamond color appraised different from appraisal 2 yrs. ago!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
hello! We just had an appraisal done today for insurance purposes and noticed that this appraiser gave our diamond an H/I color vs. the G color that was originally given 2 yrs. ago from a different appraiser. Both appraisers are GIA graduate gemologist and the only difference was that the old appraisal was graded with the stone loose and today''s appraisal was done with the stone mounted...does this make a difference?? Also, the old appraisal said that the diamond had a medium blue flourescence while today''s appraisal said NO flourescence. The inclusions and measurements were on point and the appraisal from today was graded 1 grade better than the old. I''m a bit confused...help!
40.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well, the difference of opinion of one color (or clarity) grade is not considered unusual or out of line... and technically since he said "H"/I, and it is mounted now, I think it's probably nothing to worry about.

The flourescence issue is puzzling, though.
33.gif
Does it glow under a blacklight?

BTW, what else did he say about the other issues you have been concerned about?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 8:25:46 PM
Author: Lynn B
Well, the difference of opinion of one color (or clarity) grade is not considered unusual or out of line... and technically since he said ''H''/I, and it is mounted now, I think it''s probably nothing to worry about.

The flourescence issue is puzzling, though.
33.gif
Does it glow under a blacklight?

BTW, what else did he say about the other issues you have been concerned about?
Ditto
2.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 8:19:34 PM
Author:sarah1976
Also, the old appraisal said that the diamond had a medium blue flourescence while today's appraisal said NO flourescence.

Ooookay. ... I can understand that grading a mounted stone is harder than grading a loose stone and that could cause the difference in color. But.. I was under the impression that either a diamond fluoresces or it doesn't.
34.gif
I mean, medium flouresence should be hard to miss in that little uv box thingy.
I'm also curious about what our resident experts have to say about this.
33.gif

Well guys?

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
He told me not to worry about the feather even though it is near the girdle and he told me not to worry about the girdle too much even though some of it is on the thin side...i will feel better once its insured! I was just curious about the color grade being a little off, i don''t know if its because he graded it while it was set made a difference.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
the flouescence grade kind of confused me too...i do notice the slight blue hue in my diamond when i''m outdoors so I am almost positive the diamond has some flouescence and like i said earlier...it was graded medium blue flouro. in the old appraisal. I don''t get it!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The fluoro is the thing that is weird to me. It''s not unheard of for the stone color to be graded differently loose versus in the setting. Same thing with the clarity if something''s hidden under a prong or whatnot. But fluoro??? Seems odd.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
not sure why the fluor wouldn''t show up but it is different to grade a stone in a mounting than loose, so that may account for the color variation.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sarah. It is tougher to grade mounted stones for color, so I can see an appraiser grading a little different. Did he have any comment about the first appraiser''s grade of "G"?

The fluorescence should be the same loose or mounted though. Either it''s there or not.

You can easily see for yourself by putting the diamond under a blacklight in a darkened room.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
i wonder if he really tested the diamond to have flourescence? I didn''t want to seem rude and question it.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It's not rude at all. A very reasonable question, which you have paid good money for.

He might have been working off a template, and forgot to check the fluorescence, so it printed out "none".

You could ask him to recheck it for you. It would only take a second. If he didn't know about the first appraiser's "G" call with the stone loose, you might mention it to him as well, and ask him if he'd take a second look.

Communication is good. Unasked questions is bad. It will always bug you.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
i didn''t mention about the G color to the appraiser because i wanted to get his opinion on everything without him knowing what the other appraisal said. By the time i picked up my ring, the appraiser was gone for the day so i couldnt really question him about the color. Does medium blue flourescence light up pretty bright under a black light?

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
thanks! I will call him first thing tomorrow!

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
i have one question for Richard, shouldn''t a G color diamond look like a G mounted, not an H/I??

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 9:06:02 PM
Author: sarah1976
i have one question for Richard, shouldn't a G color diamond look like a G mounted, not an H/I??
Usually, yes, but the thing which handicaps a grader is that the color grade of a diamond is assigned in the face down position, which is impossible with mounted stones.

Face up, a diamond can sometimes appear to be slightly different, influenced by its cut, and the color and size of the prongs/setting.

For example, ideal cut diamonds often face up a shade whiter than non-ideal cut stones, even though they grade out the same face down.

Does medium blue flourescence light up pretty bright under a black light?
No, not "pretty bright", but more of a subdued blue glow. Noticeable, but not overly bright.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
thanks for your input! It really helps!
1.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/6/2006 10:01:06 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

Date: 2/6/2006 9:06:02 PM
Author: sarah1976
i have one question for Richard, shouldn''t a G color diamond look like a G mounted, not an H/I??
Usually, yes, but the thing which handicaps a grader is that the color grade of a diamond is assigned in the face down position, which is impossible with mounted stones.

Face up, a diamond can sometimes appear to be slightly different, influenced by its cut, and the color and size of the prongs/setting.

For example, ideal cut diamonds often face up a shade whiter than non-ideal cut stones, even though they grade out the same face down.

Does medium blue flourescence light up pretty bright under a black light?
No, not ''pretty bright'', but more of a subdued blue glow. Noticeable, but not overly bright.
Richard is correct in all of his statements. That''s why we like having him around!
1.gif
Fluorescence, believe it or not, is not always carefully checked by an appraiser. As much as we would like to believe that every appraiser performs the same tests...it''s not always the case. Most appraisals that I see for updates (3+ years back) do not mention fluorescence or lack of fluorescence. However, it is an easy thing to check and should be noted. As Richard advises...always ask follow up questions if you have concerns. Most of us welcome your questions and comments.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
hello, i spoke to the appraiser today over the phone about the flourescence issue and he said that he didnt see flourescence when he was appraising my diamond but he said he would check it again to make sure. I looked at it under a black light and i couldnt really tell if it did or didnt have flourescence. I had a stone in my eternity band that lit up like a beacon and a couple of other stone that werent as bright and i tried to compare it to my e-ring but really didnt see much, maybe a faint glow through the sides of my diamond. I don't know if the original appraiser was just having a bad day and graded my diamond to have medium blue flouro.
7.gif
It just seems like a big difference from one appraiser grading it as having med. blue flouro. vs. no flouro. at all!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sarah. Glad to hear you''re having the gemologist take a second look.

I''ve started photographing the fluorescence in client''s diamonds, placing them next to a contrasting diamond. I''ll put a client''s fluorescent stone next to one of my non-fluorescent comparison stones, or vica-versa, photograph it, and then put it right in the appraisal.

A picture''s worth a thousand words, and client''s can see for themselves the level of fluorescence.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
cool! by any chance do u have any pictures of the different ranges of blue flouro. in a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results