shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding Cartier stone grade

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

we5119

Rough_Rock
I have my eye set on a Cartier Solitorie E. Ring. I got 3 quote from the store.
1. 0.61c, E, VS1, for $7,100
2. 0.61c, F, VVS1, for $7,300
3. 0.67c, F, VS1 for $7,300
anyone can help me decide which one is the best deal ?
I know I am paying almost twice the price if I get it at a regular store. Too bad, other places just can''t match the mounting 100% exact.
thanks

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the E color. Have you seen the diamonds in person? If so go buy what looks the best to you. Good luck!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
2nd or 3rd option.

reena

Ideal_Rock
you're SET on going with the cartier?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I'd go with #1. Nicer color, and cheaper.
1.gif

This, of course, assuming equivalent cut quality.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too. I'll pick #1 because it has a nicer colour, can't see the difference between a vvs1 versus a vs1, and of course, cheaper. All assuming the cut/optical performance is the same.

reena

Ideal_Rock
OR, for the same money, you can get a very well cut 1c stone from a non-designer vendor . . .
11.gif

if i'm your GF, that's the option i'm choosing.
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
As would I.

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
me also...
9.gif

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Is this the ring that you really love or is it the 6 prong version shown on their site? This is a photo of the cartier ring (think it might have been either on here or diamondtalk.com). I'll post one which is really similar!

cartier 4 prong 2.jpg

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
here's one by Le at Whiteflash. Looks very similar? There are others around if you look.

I think the cartier one has tiny round prongs and they tend to set their stones low, but I'm sure you could specify a similar look to the setter.

Cartier_Pt by LE.jpg

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
here's another version of the 1895 with more sparkle
naughty.gif

cartier 1895 with bead set melee.jpg

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
There are also similar (and expensive) versions at www.danielk.net, www.harrywinston.com and Leon Mege did a gorgeous one for Kayla! Try looking at for other amazing rings by Leon Mege on www.artofplatinum.com.

dainty prongs leon mege another side shot custom ring.jpg

we5119

Rough_Rock
Thank you for everyone's suggestion. Option 1 as is.
It is the 4 prong version. At the store, they told me Cartier does not make 6 prong version.
The picture posted by Round Rock looks like it. Went to other E-ring stores, they can try cast a custom mounting, but would need all the diminsions and design details. and is going to cost about $1K.
So, better off buy the original.

ps. Went to the Cartier store at Chicago. Their service sucks. (The attitude I get there is anyone who don't wear suit and tie can't afford their product)
Am now dealing with the store at Atlanta through email and phone which provide prompt response and patience.

k8

Rough_Rock
Are you sure she is stuck on the Cartier setting? There are so many options out there of all different types of settings. If it is what she really wants, then get it, but I would not like to pay extra high prices at a place that did not even treat me well.

- Kate

ps it is nice of you to be willing to get her just what she wants, even if it isn't the best deal in the world -- good for you - she is a lucky lady

thor

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/20/2004 6:09:21 PM we5119 wrote:

Thank you for everyone's suggestion. Option 1 as is.

It is the 4 prong version. At the store, they told me Cartier does not make 6 prong version.

The picture posted by Round Rock looks like it. Went to other E-ring stores, they can try cast a custom mounting, but would need all the diminsions and design details. and is going to cost about $1K.

So, better off buy the original.

ps. Went to the Cartier store at Chicago. Their service sucks. (The attitude I get there is anyone who don't wear suit and tie can't afford their product)

Am now dealing with the store at Atlanta through email and phone which provide prompt response and patience.----------------

hmm...how are you better off buying the original? You can get a ideal cut 0.63 ct E VS1, H&A, VH/VH/VH BrillianceScope, 9.8 Isee2, 1.6 HCA diamond at GOG for around $3000 + $1000 for custom setting = $4000 vs. $7100 for a 0.61 ct E VS1 unknown cut, unknown H&A, unkown HCA, unknown BrillianceScope, unknown ISee2. You still save $3100 which you could use for your wedding or honeymoon.

Or if you still wanted to spend roughly the same amount, you could get a 0.92 ct F VS2 A Cut Above H&A (Ideal Cut), 1.2 HCA diamond at
WF for $5800 + $1000 = $6800 and you get a much larger diamond with similar color and clarity, but you know that you will be getting an ideally cut, H&A diamond.

Take your time and shop around.

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
Cartier's Prices sound a little High.

You'd get a very good stone, much larger, from a diamond dealer, like GOG for instance, Good Old Gold , For Instance.

# Carat Weight: .97
# Clarity: VS1
# Color: H
# Shape: Round brilliant
# Cut External

* Polish: GIA ~ Excellent
* Symmetry: GIA ~ Excellent
* Proportions: AGS ~ Ideal

# Cut Internal

* Symmetry ~ Hearts & Arrows
* Light Return ~ Excellent

# Price ~ $ 6,426.
# Bank wire discount ~ $ 6,285.

This is a beautifully cut stone, I guarantee you won't notice the H color becausde of the cut.
And then get the setting custom made, through whiteflash, or one of a million places that do the cartier style setting.

Trust me, try to get more for your money than you can at Cartier. Don't just pay for the name! Get your Money's Worth!

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
What mounting are you looking for? Perhaps there is one similar elsewhere.....that would let you get a bigger stone and a nice mounting, perhaps....is it something you could have made.............................................But if you are going with one of these three, you would need more cut information before anyone could comment.......

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
Cut is the most important aspect of a diamond! It''s what gives you the most fire and brillance.
The most BANG!

Cut - then Color - then Clarity

Sound like you should visit Good Old Gold.com,
and educate yourself a little more before you spend $7000 of your HARD EARNED MONEY!

Would you educate youself about a car before purchasing, you sure as hell would!
So the same for buying a diamond, it''s worth it, KNOW what you''re buying!
1.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
We can advise you all day long on top notch diamond quality and insanely wonderful settings from top designers/craftsmen but if you and your g/f are stuck on getting the Cartier name, then we''re wasting your time really.

Is it the name means that much to you or are you assuming that the name is going to assure you of a top quality product? If it''s the latter, then think again; if it''s the former, then good luck with your purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results