shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Custom Setting Quality--Need Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strangerousanya

Rough_Rock
Hello,

First time poster but been lurking for a while. My fiance and I had a custom ring done by Mark at ERD, and we loved the CAD pictures he''d been sending us. However, we just got pictures of our actual ring from the appraiser (we don''t have his final report yet) and I have to say the quality of the workmanship isn''t what I was expecting. To me, the edges of the ring look crooked, the side stones don''t look set very straight, the center stone prongs look sort of lumpy, and the milgrain/bead settings just look... funny/too big/etc. I''m also concerned that they won''t be flush-fit, which we made clear was *very* high priority.

*Obviously* it wasn''t going to be as perfect or straight as the CADs were, but do you think it is acceptable? And I''ll be the first to say the high magnification, lighting, and angles may also have something to do with what I''m seeing (we have not seen the real ring yet), but every single person who''s seen the pictures said they noticed issues.

I''ll included the CAD for reference. So... what do you folks think?

4057 Both Rings.JPG

jfus

Shiny_Rock
strangerousanya I see what you are saying... but also keep in mind this ring is magnified how many times? I would wait until you get the ring and then decide or maybe call Mark and voice your concerns. I just think you need to see it in person before you decide.

I was once engaged in my previous life.. and the ring I Had had small imperfections like you are showing here.. but when viewed up to your eye (an inch away) you saw them. Now I am a perfectionist so right away I was MAD! I work as a graphic designer and I am all about "CLEAN WORK" but I realize that a lot of jewelery is like this. I inspected my mothers ring as well same sort of little things.. but from 5 inches away you couldn''t really tell.. it was just when it was in your face..

I hope that makes sense.

Also my ff and I just ordered a ring from ERD this week from what I have seen here on Pricescope is work is really great. I hope your concerns turn out to not be so much..
GOOD LUCK! and I love the setting!

Date: 10/26/2007 2:15:41 PM
Author:strangerousanya
Hello,

First time poster but been lurking for a while. My fiance and I had a custom ring done by Mark at ERD, and we loved the CAD pictures he''d been sending us. However, we just got pictures of our actual ring from the appraiser (we don''t have his final report yet) and I have to say the quality of the workmanship isn''t what I was expecting. To me, the edges of the ring look crooked, the side stones don''t look set very straight, the center stone prongs look sort of lumpy, and the milgrain/bead settings just look... funny/too big/etc. I''m also concerned that they won''t be flush-fit, which we made clear was *very* high priority.

*Obviously* it wasn''t going to be as perfect or straight as the CADs were, but do you think it is acceptable? And I''ll be the first to say the high magnification, lighting, and angles may also have something to do with what I''m seeing (we have not seen the real ring yet), but every single person who''s seen the pictures said they noticed issues.

I''ll included the CAD for reference. So... what do you folks think?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you actually seen the rings in person yet? Those huge magnifications can be very misleading. I think the rings are just gorgeous. I can''t wait to see hand pics that are more in scale. I''m really not seeing problems in that I know what extreme magnification can do, and I bet the real rings are much closer to what you specified.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask the appraiser for an opinion of the workmanship.
There are a few tiny issues but nothing huge.
The prongs is the lighting.

strangerousanya

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies. No, we haven''t seen the rings in person yet, we are due to get them next week. We are also planning to ask the appraiser for his opinion on these issues specifically. I am aware than magnification will, obviously, magnify the crookedness, but I have tried shrinking the images, and I can still see some issues. I''m attaching another pic of the e ring (with a closer-to-life-sized version embedded in the middle) that I think may show some of the edge-crookedness better; look along the top of the image near the center stone.

Thanks again,
Anya

4057 E Ring 2.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d talk to your appraiser and take a look in person. Not many rings stand up to the scrutiny of giant pics and your appraiser will tell you if the quality is in line with the price. I do know if you are unhappy or if the quality is unexceptable Mark will work with you to make sure you are happy.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Before too much photoshopping & analysis happens
2.gif
I thought I'd mention that it’s simply impossible to tell this way.To make meaningful judgments one must see it in real life, from all angles.

Anya, what you saw in the CAD was a perfect wire-frame designed for your 2D flatscreen, with no reflection or magnification aberrations. The actual piece is in 3D and real-world lighting. At this level of complexity there can be shadowing & reflection artifacts in a flat photo that distort reality in unexpected places, regardless of zooming or shrinking the image.

Hand-finishing is an art-form in jewelry, just as in diamond cutting.No one is saying to expect a less-than-perfect ring, but some of the most beautiful diamonds and jewelry pieces that exist may not be perfect computer wire-frames.They're art as much as architecture.
It’s a good idea to get expert input from the appraiser; that’s what you hired him for.To know decisively what you think of it you’ll need to see it live.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
It looks beautiful to me. I think what you are seeing may be due to lighting and shadows. Most people who post on here regarding being unhappy with magnified images are delighted when they see the ring in person. I hope the same happens for you, if not I am sure Mark will make it right.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that it may be due to the exteem magnification!!!! Even our hands dont always stand up to that from what I have noticed!!!!
2.gif

I would be interested in how this gets resolves or pans out. Good luck.

Edited to add that if you were after an exact replica, it is definately different. The design on the side of the ring (leaves) are in a different spot, the basket and prongs seem different too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results