shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Confused on Cut!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gtal

Rough_Rock
Been looking at stones for a couple of months now and have settled in on G-H Color and VS2-SI1 clarity based on what I have seen. However, I am so confused on cut. Different definitions, certifications, etc. I am wanting to stay in the $18K range for a round brillant. The stones I have been looking at are 2.25-2.40 Carats. What is the best way for me to assess cut when visiting with diamond brokers and jewelers? Thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

The best advice is to read the tutorials under knowledge and start learning about cut. To make things easier you can go with a vendor such as Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, James Allen etc who will have all the expertise and cut info ( as Storm suggested) you need to make a great choice. Cut is CRUCIAL to have a beautiful diamond so any time you spend researching this will be time well spent. Start by reading up on the best proportions for a round Ideal Cut. You can also use the search tool to search by cut for diamonds - this will find contenders for you and help with your selection. Lastly, the Holloway Cut Advisor is a very useful tool to help you. If you are visiting brokers and vendors etc, as Storm says the Idealscope will be invaluable, also see if they have any info on cut such as a Sarin Report, Idealscope Image, BrillianceScope etc. Check the proportions of each diamond and get to know the best measurements for depth , table, crown and pavillion angles and girdle thicknesses too.

Hope this helps.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Gtal, welcome to the forum.

There is no agreement among the experts regarding criteria of a good cut. There are different tools and methods - direct and indirect observation. There are also many different personal tastes and opinions.

For rounds, you can rely on existing cut grading systems (AGS (stricter) or GIA (more liberal) or HCA) they all have their pros and cons - pick one you like.

You can also choose to trust an expert opinion: e.g. your vendor or appraiser. You also can employ tools like BrilliantScope or, as Storm suggested, ideal-scope. - some experts like those tools, some - don''t.

I would try to see with my eyes whether I could see a difference in the appearance of the diamonds and whether there is any price difference to justify it. If you''re buying a round diamond, you can try to see a diamond cut close to Tolkowsky proportions and then compare it to other candidates in various lighting conditions.

Finally, post your questions here and use price comparison tools....

good luck
21.gif

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Gtal,

Tell us. What concerns you about cut? What does "cut" mean to you the consumer? When you visit sellers, are you able to see differences in the stones?

Maybe we can give you more help if we know your actual concerns.

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results