shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Christmas gift ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I know there have been a few threads on this already, but I didn't find much in the ones that I could find, so I'd love some ideas from you all.

I am completely stuck on what to get for my boyfriends parents. I'd like to spend about $20 each, or $40 together, and my boyfriend is stuck as well, so combined, I think we'd do around $50 for each parent (we're both kinda broke--I'm a student). We're open to a combined gift for the couple or separate gifts for each.

The problem is:
they don't really drink, so liquor is out
they eat healthy, so candy is out
she bakes better than I ever could, so baked good are out
I already did a tea/coffee basket last year
their kids have done restaurant gift cards a few times
they have really simple taste so fancy/luxury stuff is out
they have no real hobbies I could buy for
they just got themselves Netflix

They're great people and I love them, but they're more the simple, stay at home type, which kills most of my ideas.

My only thought is a custom doormat like
this one, but with their last name (only 4 letters), instead of the number. Is this a lame idea? Any other suggestions?

I'm stuck on BF's sister as well, shes about 30, just married, and I don't know her well enough for many good ideas. Would the doormat (new last name is 5 letter) be an ok idea for her as well or is it just a dumb idea?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the personalized doormat idea. Actually, I sometimes do something similar for my clients (I''m a realtor) and it always goes over very well.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
How about one (or a few) nice, framed photos of you, your BF, or pictures of the four of you together if you have one?

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks DeeJay! Its nice to know that the doormats are appreciated.

Mercoledi--a picture is a good idea too. I don''t have any good ones, so I''ll have to make the BF suffer through taking a few, but I wanted a good one for Christmas so this makes a good excuse.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My SIL got us an over-the-door monogrammed wreath holder from PB a few years ago and I thought that was really clever. It can be used year round as different welcoming wreaths can be put on it.

link
1.gif

candctroll

Rough_Rock
We are doing homemade beef jerky to give out to some of the guys in our family. Since his mom likes to bake maybe do a cook book with some different recipies in it.

blueyes157

Shiny_Rock
Hey Firegoddess! I love the idea of the over the door monogrammed wreath hanger for my parents! I am considering getting it, but I have one concern.... can the door close? I have had those indoor over the door hangers and 99.9% of the time, the door won''t close...

E B

Ideal_Rock
I also like the personalized doormat idea!

When I'm stumped about what to get someone for a birthday/christmas gift, I just think of things that they might like that they'd wouldn't normally buy for themselves. Something luxurious.

Does your boyfriend's mom have a nice jewelry box? Pottery Barn has several lovely choices, and you can have her initial/s engraved:

Isabella Jewelry Box

(I received one as a wedding gift that I LOVE!)

Or maybe a new, fluffy bathrobe or warm slippers for the winter?

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the ideas, ladies! I really like the wreath holder. I think I''m on a bit of a personalized kick right now. I may have to send my BF snooping to see if his mom has a nice jewelry box or if his dad has any sort of valet type thing.

The jerky idea doesn''t work for BF''s family--they taught us how to make it, but I''m using it for my side of the family! My brothers love it!

If I do a doormat for the sister, which would be better, the 5 letter last name, or the her first/their last/his first initial monogram. They didn''t use it in their wedding, but I could still use it, right? Or is it too weddingy? They''ve been married about 10 months, if that matters.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the doormat idea. In fact, I''m going to try find one for my house, it''s such a great idea. However...I would stick to the house number or just a monogram, because I don''t like having personal information (last name) readily available for security reasonss. Just an idea. It may be totally okay where they live. I love personalized items in general too!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Great ideas and points gang!

You can also do a doorknocker... and personalize that. This is not a great idea for every family...but a gift of an family portrait sitting may be a good idea in some cases.

I was disappointed in your list as I was going to suggest a gift basket filled with classic movies, junior mints, hot tamales, dots, whoppers, popcorn...put it all in a large popcorn bowl and fill it will fun shredded bright colored filler. But you said they got Netflix. And don't do candy. Oh poo. I would still suggest a movie pack of a certain theme. Say film noir, or detective stories, or westerns what ever you learn they enjoy. The netfilx thing is often a disappointment in not getting the movie before the weekend or the night you planned to watch it. So having a small library of movies on stand by, is great. Barnes and Noble for an example, offer multiple movie packs. Was there an old tv series they enjoyed together?

Even though they have netflix, you can still go with the movie theme...There are many books that have a little snippet about the movie, the stars, the script...most fun and enlightening information for one who may be a movie buff. Some titles are like 1001 movies you must see...or 1000 greatest award winning movies. Hubby and I often find ourselves talking about this or that movie and want a quick reference on an actor or location or such. The book is handy and can be used to learn more about a title, so then they want to order through Netflix. (so it can compliment their membership.)

Dinner reservation at a local murder mystery dinner. That puts them in the sleuthing mode.

There are fruit of the month plans from Harry and David and citrus from Hale groves. Seafood of the the month club.

What about a porch swing or park bench? §

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2007 3:48:43 PM
Author: blueyes157
Hey Firegoddess! I love the idea of the over the door monogrammed wreath hanger for my parents! I am considering getting it, but I have one concern.... can the door close? I have had those indoor over the door hangers and 99.9% of the time, the door won''t close...
I haven''t had a problem with mine...
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m in the same boat, in terms of needing ideas (I began one of the threads asking for ideas), but I did think of something. It''s something I''m going to keep mind for my FI''s parents.

I''ve often given slate welcome signs. They''re usually painted with a pretty picture and you could have it customized to have their last name on it, or customize it for Christmas or another holiday. I''ve often given them to couples who have just gotten married.

Here are a few pics (sorry they''re small). You can usually find them in gift shops.

welcome signs.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results