shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing a stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pt_Fwd

Rough_Rock
Hello folks,

I'm working towards a proposal in the next month or so. In the process of picking out the ring, I came across this wonderful site and spent the past week reading up to educate myself. Alas, the more I read, the greater the confusion. My girlfriend would like a sparkly 2.0-2.5 ct., but I'm not comfortable moving past the $12k-13k range.
28.gif

I have (for the time being) narrowed the choice down to two stones; Please provide some feedback on which you would prefer. Many thanks in advance!

----

Shape: Round
Size: 1.84 ct.
Color: I
Cut: Ideal
Clarity: SI1
Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Dimensions: 7.88 * 7.93 * 4.86
Girdle: 0.8-3.6
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: N
Depth: 61.5
Table: 54.2
Crown Angle: 33
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
HCA: 0.8 (ex/ex/ex/vg)
Report: AGS
Price: $13,070
Vendor: James Allen

Shape: Round
Size: 1.81 ct.
Color: I
Cut: Ideal
Clarity: VS2
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Dimensions: 7.81 * 7.85 * 4.75
Girdle: M-STK
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N
Depth: 60.3
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 32
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
HCA: 1.0 (ex/ex/ex/ex)
Report: AGS
Price: $12,656
Vendor: Abazias

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
To make things simple (maybe too simple, because using this logic, the other one could be better), you might find out, if you don''t know already, if either, both, or neither of the AGS documented stones have contemporary docs, graded AGS0, including 0 for light performance. If only one has this pedigree, I might well go with that one.

Similarly, smart guys here ask for visual documentation, like idealscopes. If you can share these here, you''re likely to get more informed input.

Best wishes,

Pt_Fwd

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Ira!

I did manage to gather a few documents on these two stones. It looks like the images are too big to post on this board so here''s a link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8IZtG7du3Zsca

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Pt-fwd...

As presupposed, only one gets you a DQD with contemporary triple 0, and that''s the one from James Allen. Unless my thinking or interpretation is wrong, that one gets my vote.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered dropping color and clarity to get a larger stone? (Never skimp on CUT, though, of course!) I have an AGS-0 2.36 J/SI2 RB that is VERY white and VERY beautiful, and totally eye-clean. I would even consider a killer-cut K stone, personally! A lot of people actually prefer the warmer look of J/K stones, and as long as the cut is excellent, I think those stones are awesome, and represent a GREAT value for the money. And totally eye-clean SI2 stones ARE out there, and when you find one, *ohwhattadeal*! It is my opinion that you are not paying for what you cannot see anyway. (But oh, believe me, I can sure see the SIZE!)
31.gif

Check out the "J stones in platinum" and also the "Post your SI stones here" threads in the SMTR forum. You just might surprise yourself and be able to hit the 2+ carat mark afterall, and make your girlfriend one happy girl!

10106aa1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results