shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Are they really that much better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

YumCarrots

Rough_Rock

Hello everyone, my bf and I have started looking for an engagement ring recently. We are both newbies and have very little (almost none) exposure and experiences to the world of diamonds. I came across this site a few weeks ago and have been totally addicted to it since then. It''s been really helpful reading everyone''s advices and opinions.

Here''s what our budget and preferences look like: $20,000 and a 2 carat round center stone.

Originally, we planned to purchase it from a reputable store in town, such as Cartier or T & Co. We went to both stores a couple of times. Their rings are gorgeous but with the size we were looking for, we couldn''t find anything within our budget. Plus, the more I''ve been reading about diamonds on Pricescope, the more I started leaning towards buying the ring from an online vendor.

Below are a few general questions I have regarding stores such as Cartier and Tiffany & Co.:

1) One of my friends (who owns a T & Co. ring) once told me that the saleslady told her that since T & Co. have very strict standards, for example, a color G stone from an online vendor or a mall jeweler would actually only be graded as a color H or I at T & Co. I find it hard to believe. Is that true?

2) While my bf and I were looking at rings at Cartier and T & Co., the sales person told us that high-end jewelers like themselves have the first pick when it comes to diamond selection. They pick out the best cut diamonds and leave the rest for online vendors and other retailers. And thus, online vendors and other retailers can sell them for much cheaper. Is this true as well?

Any comments and suggestions are much appreciated!
1.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
You're friend's saleslady wasn't giving her all the facts. You can easily find diamonds within your parameters online that are GIA and AGS certified, which are the highest certs in the industry. In order to get the size you want, you may not be able to get a "D" color and "IF" diamond, but that's overkill anyway...if you go ahead and do a search on the PS price search, you'll easily be able to find something within your parameters.

Good luck!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
YumCarrots, what an exciting time! With your budget and criteria, I''m sure PSers will help you find the right stone
36.gif

I will let the experts chime in, but the short answer to both of your questions is NO. There are probably aspects of each of those claims that could be construed as true with the right spin, but the bottom line is that''s just incorrect. Tiffany does cert their own stones, I believe, but it''s a bizarre assertion (read: sales ploy) to claim color 2 degrees higher....1 degree could be true in the case of *some* EGL stones, but for most GIA and AGS, it''s not all that likely.

Their pitch is powerful, though. A good friend of mine has a stunning .91 T&C RB and we were talking diamonds the other day....she''s been married 6 years now but was still repeating the whole "well, their round diamonds are DIFFERENT b/c they cut them themselves" line. And it''s a gorgeous ring....but is it THE ring to end all rings?....the bottom line for any individual consumer is their own eyes and preferences. And if you and yoru FH want a stunning 2carat stone for 20k, then I think you''re wise to look beyond the blue box.

Do a quick search for T&Co or Tiffany and you''ll get lots more info
4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results