shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Advice needed on rating the cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

novice_buyer

Rough_Rock
I''m narrowed my search down to 2 possible round brilliant diamonds. i havent been able to see these since yet so have had to go off specs.
My girlfriend cares most about brilliance but with all the standards and opinions on ideal cut, i havent been able to get a good sense of how these 2 will rate. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!!!

Basic: 1.38c, FSI1
Measurements: 7.23 - 7.28 x 4.38
Depth: 60.5%
Table: 57.3%
Girdle: Very thin to thin (1.2%)
Culet: 0.4%
Poish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Flourescence: None
Crown Ang: 34.8
Pav Ang: 41.2

Basic: 1.68c, HVS2
Measurements: 7.67 - 7.77 x 4.73
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 56.5%
Girdle: Thin - Med (1.3%)
Culet: 0.6%
Poish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Flourescence: None
Crown Ang: 35.1
Pav Ang: 41.2

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont care for the numbers on either one.
Any particular reason those were selected?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
first one is a 3.3 on the hca + v-thin girdle

second one is even worse at 3.6

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Storm knows those 2 are problematic because the pavillion being over 41 frequently is. Good you've captured that data, though, as it does help you to understand brilliance. One tool used here is the HCA, I more readily turn to it, and with scores of 3.3 & 3.6 respectively, I'd agree, and would suggest you use the HCA to help screen options, as it does help you understand how well cut stones are.

(edited to add...OK Storm does use the HCA, and I saw the thin girdle, too!)

Regards,

novice_buyer

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/13/2005 10:24:49 PM
Author: strmrdr
I dont care for the numbers on either one.
Any particular reason those were selected?
i had selected these based on my desire to get either a GSI1 or a HVS2, and this being the only 2 available from my dealer in my carat range.
they seemed to have good numbers otherwise, and i saw the HCA score but didnt know whether that definitely ruled out potential to be brialliant stones or if that was a rough guide

DoubleB

Rough_Rock

Hey, Novice:

I think you''re going to need to disclose your budget so the wonderful people who regularly contribute to this board can really help you.

The most important "c" is cut. If your girlfriend wants brilliance, then the cut of the stone becomes even more important (if, in fact, such a thing is possible).

The developer of the HCA will tell you it is a rejection tool. Great term - Some of the women I''ve dated have made me feel like a rejection tool . . . but that''s another story. Seriously, it won''t tell you if one stone is better than another, but with the HCA scores on those 2 stones, I think the advice would be to only buy them if you are getting a great deal . . . which comes back to cost and budget.

OK, so you''re looking for a stone somewhere in the 1.35 - 1.65 carat range. If you will disclose what you want to spend, the regular posters here will go to work and tell you in a New York minute what that money will buy you from the vendors who support this board. And I guarantee you''ll find a better stone, for less money than the 2 you are asking about.

And don''t be afraid to use these vendors - whether you visit their stores or purchase online. Their prices are terrific, their service is terrific, their standards and policies are terrific. I bought my fiance a Hearts & Arrows stone from Good Old Gold and her friends practically have to put on their sunglasses to look at it! Whiteflash is another favored vendor by many of the regulars here.

Finally (and I don''t know what''s gotten in to me tonight, I rarely post), you will find that the people who post here are the NICEST, most supportive people you would ever want in your corner while making an important decision like buying your gf a diamond ring.

Good luck,

doubleb

novice_buyer

Rough_Rock
thanks for posting DoubleB

you make a good point on budget.

On stone #1 (1.38c), the price is looking to be $8800.
On stone #2 (1.68c), the price is looking to be $12,500 (probably my limit on the budget).

i would sacrifice on carat to get a better cut, which, as you pointed out, is what''s most important to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results