shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!! Advice needed :: BGD "Quadex" vs. GOG "POH"

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Hey all :)

I was wondering if any of you experts can help a girl out here :)

I was just wondering if anyone knows the differences between these two cuts. I wanted a T&Co Novo for the longest time, and now i'm on the square h&a train and i'm driving my SO (and myself) absolutely crazy. BGD has a really decent Novo replica in platinum reasonably priced. We are still in the process of deciding things(not looking to purchase in the immediate future, still saving $$), but trying to narrow down on a stone "cut" from a particular retailer. SO is not keen on purchasing anything online sight unseen :-o , and GOG is within driving distance (3.5 hrs). I told him he can gladly take $$ from the budget and take a trip to houston too. :naughty:

He is heavily leaning towards T&Co still because he say that i can always have my ring checked, fixed ect...but i am worried about the "stone" from t&co as it may not be of ideal proportions (thank you for that PS). I do not know of any good novo replica settings on the GOG website. I gotta admit i'm in love with BGD reputation on this forum as well. I feel like SO would get a personal experience with them, which might make him more comfortable. But, what happens in the case that a stone fall out of the ring etc? Will these online retailers take it back for repair? or is there any warranty? He's also worried about a return period if he buys it online and hates the stone.

My issue is this. BGD seems to have more "reasonably" priced quadex stones, and GOG POH seems to be priced "less reasonably" in comparison to same stats as a quadex. But being the novice i am, i do not really know the difference between the two stones...I also see that GOG has a "Breilla" traded square H&A.

Can anyone help? I'm going absolutely crazy. Thank you in advance. :twirl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
redsoxgrl|1336577236|3191063 said:

I was wondering if any of you experts can help a girl out here :)

I was just wondering if anyone knows the differences between these two cuts. I wanted a T&Co Novo for the longest time, and now i'm on the square h&a train and i'm driving my SO (and myself) absolutely crazy. BGD has a really decent Novo replica in platinum reasonably priced. We are still in the process of deciding things(not looking to purchase in the immediate future, still saving $$), but trying to narrow down on a stone "cut" from a particular retailer. SO is not keen on purchasing anything online sight unseen :-o , and GOG is within driving distance (3.5 hrs). I told him he can gladly take $$ from the budget and take a trip to houston too. :naughty:

He is heavily leaning towards T&Co still because he say that i can always have my ring checked, fixed ect...but i am worried about the "stone" from t&co as it may not be of ideal proportions (thank you for that PS). I do not know of any good novo replica settings on the GOG website. I gotta admit i'm in love with BGD reputation on this forum as well. I feel like SO would get a personal experience with them, which might make him more comfortable. But, what happens in the case that a stone fall out of the ring etc? Will these online retailers take it back for repair? or is there any warranty? He's also worried about a return period if he buys it online and hates the stone.

My issue is this. BGD seems to have more "reasonably" priced quadex stones, and GOG POH seems to be priced "less reasonably" in comparison to same stats as a quadex. But being the novice i am, i do not really know the difference between the two stones...I also see that GOG has a "Breilla" traded square H&A.

Hi and welcome! The quadex and the POH are fairly similar. Both are H&A cut-cornered squares. The Brellia is a 'cushion shape' with a rounded outline as opposed to the straight lines of the POH and quadex. GOG has some videos comparing the POH and Brellia. They also carry a Novo replica.

Many online retailers have a return policy (check with the vendor) and also provide a lot more information (detailed images/ASET/etc) than a local jeweler. I would insure your ring no matter what the vendor. Check with vendor on what their policy is on replacing melee (the small stones in the band).

The Tiffany Novo cut is not a square H&A cut so it will have different optics than the Quadex, POH, Brellia. Ultimately it is what you prefer. I have a Brellia and love it :)

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
what is your budget for the ring?

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
@farmer gal: Budget is around 12k total. (original t&co budget and he was going to purchase next summer-ish)

Would like to keep it under 10k (i'm still in school). He wants me to narrow down what i want, so he knows what kind of $$ he needs to have.

Looking for something .80 -.95 c.

@Slg : Thanks for the comparison between the breilla and poh/quadex. I do like a cushion cut, but i know they are iffy. I'm assuming the breilla is still cut for performance? Maybe need to take a trip to see the 2 side by side. I did check out some of GOG vids on youtube comparing stones, but to be honest - seeing the stones in the tray i thought they all looked good (even the ones that he said weren't so good) - so i don't really trust my eyes..LOL

slg47

Ideal_Rock
redsoxgrl|1336581157|3191114 said:
@farmer gal: Budget is around 12k total. (original t&co budget and he was going to purchase next summer-ish)

Would like to keep it under 10k (i'm still in school). He wants me to narrow down what i want, so he knows what kind of $$ he needs to have.

Looking for something .80 -.95 c.

@Slg : Thanks for the comparison between the breilla and poh/quadex. I do like a cushion cut, but i know they are iffy. I'm assuming the breilla is still cut for performance? Maybe need to take a trip to see the 2 side by side. I did check out some of GOG vids on youtube comparing stones, but to be honest - seeing the stones in the tray i thought they all looked good (even the ones that he said weren't so good) - so i don't really trust my eyes..LOL

the brellia is absolutely cut for light performance and receives AGS0 for light performance--no worries there! the optics are similar to the POH but the outline is more 'rounded' than squared off/clipped corners/straight lines

ETA if you like the cushion I bet you could do this with a Novo setting and be right around 12k
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8295/

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
<3 great choice!!! I love those cuts!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ERD .93 is my favorite cushion of any of the ones I've seen available, at any price or size. The faceting is just amazing. I would totally go for that one.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wavey: Lovelikecrazy --- what did you end up doing? or have you decided??

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
LoveLikeCrazy|1336577236|3191063 said:

Make sure to check the actual diagonal measurements on the POH and other stones you look at. I made the same mistake when I first started looking and was confused at why the BGD Quadex seemed larger. They list the side dimension x diagonal dimension vs other diamonds listing the side x side dimension. My POH is 5.5 mm x 5.48 mm but the diagonal is 6.0mm - so it seems much larger on my finger. Both seemed like very beautiful cuts and I'm very happy with my POH!

Just to confuse you more, here's a video of my POH with a Cushette diamond:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O74CmwVZfiA&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA&index=8&feature=plcp

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results