shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Advice for a woman who works with her hands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rebeclette

Rough_Rock
Hello
I was wondering if maybe some of the more experienced engagement ring wearers could give me some advice.
I love antique style settings, especially those by Richard Landi and Somos creations.

BUT, I''m in a medical field and I will be working with my hands/washing them a lot/wearing gloves frequently, and I''m worried that a antique style setting will be more easily damaged.

I really like the somos creations rings that have little diamonds dotting the sides, but i''m worried they will either fall out, or get so much soap scum around them that they won''t even show up. I''m thinking I should maybe just get a ring with a smooth shank even though I''m not sure that''s what I want.

designer_somos_r4_c3.jpg

rebeclette

Rough_Rock
OPPs, sorry that''s so small. I will try to fix it, here is the one from Richard Landi

ldr239.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I work in a lab and I understand your concern. In the end though, is there a compromise you can reach? My halo pear ering sits up high and on days that I wear gloves, etc, I don''t wear it to work, as it would likely tear right through them, or at least feel uncomfortable under the glove. On those days, I wear the wedding band only. Would it be possible to have a simple band to wear to work, and wear your wedding set when you''re not at work? Or just wear the antique wedding band to work?

The reason I suggest this as opposed to saying "Forget it, I''d never get an antique style in that profession" is that I TRIED to get something I thought would be better for work (bezel set, plain ring) and I HATED it. I really did. It didn''t last 2 days before I said, "Nope, I can''t do this."

The soap thing you can always clean, and it''s unlikely a stone is just going to pop out unless you''re very physical with your ring...it''s the glove thing that seems to be the bigger concern in my experience.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
You would be okay with an antique-style ring with a bezel that holds the stone low against your hand. Something like Bagpuss''s beautiful ring. Maybe somebody can post a link? I can''t seem to get the search function to work for me today.

rebeclette

Rough_Rock
Thanks FireGoddess, I''m glad to hear from someone who made it work! Your ring is beautiful!

I''ve considered just wearing a wedding band to work, which is what I may end up doing. I just hate to have my boyfriend spend so much for something that I can''t wear all the time. But I guess that''s better than spending a lot of money on something I can wear all the time but don''t because I don''t really love it.

I too started looking at bezel settings, and I really liked the look of them online, but on my hand they just didn''t appeal to me. i really want something with at least some embelishment.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: glitterata
You would be okay with an antique-style ring with a bezel that holds the stone low against your hand. Something like Bagpuss''s beautiful ring. Maybe somebody can post a link? I can''t seem to get the search function to work for me today.
Is this the gorgeous ring you''re talking about? I''d like it even if I didn''t wear gloves at work!
3.gif

Bagpuss''s ring:

bgpssrg.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore Bapuss's ring, something like that would be great for you rebeclette.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that''s the ring I meant. My favorite on PS. Because the small stones are bead-set there aren''t prongs to catch on gloves, and it doesn''t look too plain, though it''s beautifully simple.

Isn''t it heavenly? I love that ring.

rebeclette

Rough_Rock
OH, That ring is beautiful! I will have to show it to my boyfriend!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rebecelette,

I am a nurse (constantly working with my hands), and I have to say, I will not wear my engagement ring to work. I am constantly banging my hands against things when I am working fast, so I would not want to risk damaging my ring, no matter what style I got. One of my good friends I work with wears her 2 ct diamond to work everyday, and recently found out that 2 of her prongs were broken- thank god she didnt loose her stone! But, lesson learned, no more wearing that honker to work. It is just not worth it. When you have a job like ours, imo, it just gets in the way anyway!!!

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I am a nurse practitioner with an antique e-ring. The center stone is set quite low, which is helpful. Over time, though, you simply learn to lift your left glove over the ring as you put it on. It becomes second nature after a few days. The only time I have trouble is when my hands aren't fully dry after washing, and the gloves stick. But, that has always been a hassle- ring or no ring.

A bezel setting would be great, but a low setting is a viable option. Also, I would be more concerned with "pointy" shapes. I suspect (but have no proof) that princesses, marquis and pears would be more likely to rip a glove.

Good luck!
Munhckin

eta: I wash my ring after I shower every morning because soap scum can build up at work. I also tend to use soap and water at work rather than purell, because the purell makes it look dull more quickly. With regular cleaning, my hand washing hasn't impacted on the sparkle.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
rebeclette, having read your other post (I think on peonygirl''s thread) and this one, you remind me of me when I was engaged! More interested in a pretty setting that just size of stone, and wanting something low set for working with your hands. One thing that was suggested to me was to get a "spare" plain wedding band to wear when I''m working, and then wear the fancy set when I''m not. I didn''t like that idea, partly because I wanted to wear both wedding and e-ring all the time, or at least the wedding ring, and like you I thought, why spend the money if you''re not going to wear it all the time, and at the time it seemed like I didn''t know anyone who had two wedding rings, AND also because it is blessed in the wedding ceremony, and I wanted to always wear the blessed one.

Well, if I had to do it all over again, with all I''ve learned etc... , I would go with ''spare band'' idea! I''ve met (and now on PS - seen lots of folks) with several bands, and this way you can go with whatever set you think is prettiest and not worry about it being practical. (Not to mention for me I found you can have both rings blessed in the ceremony!)

If you can find a ring that meets all the needs, (like that pretty one of Bagpuss''s), go for it. But don''t be afraid to have the spare ring if you find an "impractical" set that you love.

rebeclette

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! This board is such a great place, so many online forums are just filled with people being mean to eachother.
Munchkin- Purell was one of my main concerns, I hate how sticky it makes your hands..and it really dulls my other rings.
Odilia, I''m thinking of doing a kind of modification on your strategy, and just getting a plain yellow gold wedding band no matter what type of engagement ring I get. It just feels more traditional to me, and I know that it won''t get in my way. But I may change my mind. At the moment I feel really sentimental about it and don''t want doubles, but it really makes sense in some ways.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve got a plain gold wedding band and a half-bezel low-set simple solitaire. I really didn''t want a ring with a lot of embellishments though. Haven''t had any problems getting gloves on over it, and I have to admit (bad me!) that I wash every part of my hands with purell except my diamond. (Of course I have to take it off for doing epidurals etc where my hands have to be super clean).
I think Bagpuss'' ring style would be a fantastic option for you - low set, a bit embelished, and gorgeous.
Good luck with the choosing!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a pharmacist and work with my hands a lot. I put a lot of gloves on this time of year b/c I give out flu shots. I constantly wash my hands at work as they get so dirty from working with medications, especially liquids and suspensions, plus I constantly have people sneezing and coughing right in front of me.

I used to wear my e-ring and diamond wedding band to work all the time, but lately I have just been wearing either my plain band or the diamond wedding band. I did rip a glove once with my e-ring but I think it was b/c I was in a hurry when I put the gloves on. As much as I tried from getting my hands all yucky, it was futile. When I wear the plain band I don''t have to worry about it. There will be other times that you''ll want to wear a plain band too.

I was always able to get the soap scum out after a good cleaning. But then I am also anal about keeping my rings clean.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results