shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

theboooks

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I''ve been skulking around the forum for a tiny bit and trying to gain as much knowledge as I can in a short amount of time.

I''m searching for a diamond e-ring. My budget including setting and everything is around $3000 to $5000.

I found this number on whiteflash...

https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-801734.htm

I think this is what I''m looking for though I was hoping to get something approaching .9 - 1.00 carats. Anyway, would this diamond look small in a platinum 4 prong style setting?

I''m also going to head to the LA Jewelry District in the next week or so. Any recommendations. Many here have recommended Oscar''s though someone here had a negative experience.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
theboooks

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
How adverse are you to lowering clarity and color?? Remember, if you can''t see the difference, why pay for it???
3.gif
(just my opinion of course LOL)

https://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2045519.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2045518.htm

Just some ideas. These must be new stones since WF hasn''t yet posted pictures, etc.

Also, I suggest giving them a call, telling them your constraints, and letting them find the best stones.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Have you asked her what she prefers, quality or size? If you want to keep her in the dark completely, perhaps ask her about what quality of jewelry she prefers in general. Also, is she color sensitive? If she is than a E color may be the way to go. (I am extremely color sensitive and so I perfer diamonds in the D-E-F range.) Does she pick on flaws? If she does than maybey you should go into VS or VVS range. However, if not than you can increase size (1ct and up) by looking at eye clean SI1 or SI2 and a G-H-I range. However if you stick with the quality range you have now, try and find something in the .9 range with a nice spread b/c it will look comparable to the 1ct (but will have better clarity and a better price). My finace saved $7,000-6,000 by getting 1.97 ct stone instead of 2ct and its impossible to know the difference.

Also, what is her ring size? If her ring size is big (6 or 7) a small diamond may not look as good as a slightly bigger one. If her ring size is smaller in the 4 -5 range than the size you have in mind will still look very nice.

My friend just got her e-ring. Its a .9 F VVS round (about $3,000) in a very very thin setting. She has a size 4 ring finger and it looks very nice on her. She choose to go up in quality rather than having it bigger.

If you want to make the diamond look bigger a thinner band will help you do that. Or, maybe a thin pave.

So its all personal choice. Good luck!

theboooks

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I''m trying to make this a complete surprise, so yeah, I am in the dark on a lot of things. I don''t think she''s ever had a real diamond, so I''m not exactly sure what she prefers. I''m also not terribly knowledgeable, so that''s part of the reason I want to check out the LAJD, so I can actually see for myself what the difference in carats, color, clarity, cut, etc. looks like up close as opposed to what it looks like in a blown up jpeg.

But as many have stated here, I''ll probably save money buying over the internet (at the very least, the sales tax), but still figured I''d give the LAJD a shot.

Anyway, thanks again. If it wasn''t for this forum, I would probably be getting ripped off somewhere.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those diamonds that Rascal posted look like winners!
36.gif
That is a great idea to check out in person what appeals to you then order online. Many online vendors concentrate on selling only the best cut diamonds, so if you concentrate on cut you won''t go far wrong. Bear in mind that to most untrained eyes that the colour and clarity differences are subtle, so you may find when comparing that you don''t need such high overall specs as you thought.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results