shape
carat
color
clarity

help a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sethcdavis

Rough_Rock

Ok

so I'm a new member to pricescope because I stumbled accross the site midst a search for my girlfriend's engagement ring. I am not educated fully on diamond buying, much less, online diamond buying. So hopefully, someone can help.

I hope I don't get blasted for asking this, and I must say that I searched the site for it but couldn't find my answer, specifically.

I've searched a number of different online retailers and found a couple of good stones through buydiamondsdirect.com. I saw a thread on here that had some bad things to say about them, so I was wondering if anyone knew, or if anyone could tell me about their own experience with them. I don't even know if they are a reputible company or not. I guess I just need some reassurance on the issue.

I have had a couple of conversations with Ron via telephone and he seems very nice, but when I asked about the BBB, he said they were not registered with them, but would be soon. Is there any other resource that reports the validity of a online diamond retailer? (excuse my ignorance if there is)

Also, how do I know if the stone is real/the cut and clarity claimed by the company/etc.? I guess if I can find out about the company that changes the question. We discussed the return policy, but I guess I am a little leary.

I am buying the stone as a surprise for my girlfriend for valentines day and was hoping to find around a 1.25 carat emerald cut for under $4,000.00. I found a couple (giving up color and cut, mind you). But I just need that extra opinion. And advise is welcome, thanks you guys!

clayton

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hi clayton!
35.gif
welcome to ps!! i have not dealt with buydiamondsdirect, nor do i know much about them. sorry i can''t help you much there, but you should know, if you do decide to buy a stone from someone you aren''t completely confident with, it would be a good idea to have the stone sent to an independent appaiser that can verify it for you. you really should be comfortable with the company you''re purchasing from. there are a number of reputable vendors here on ps that have many happy repeat customers. be cautious when compromising with an emerald cut stone, because of the faceting, they are not as forgiving as other cuts. good luck in your search!!

sethcdavis

Rough_Rock
belle,

thanks so much for your input! when you say to be careful sacraficing things with an emerald cut diamond, do you mean cut, clarity, or color? or all of them? Also, what woudl you recommend not going below? (in all of them)

clayton

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE; Not going below....

An emerald cut tends to window inclusions more than a round, i.e.easier to see.

Whether or not you ''ll see them without magnification depends on the nature of the inclusions and where they are in the stone.

Hi Clayton

Unfortunately GIA or any of the labs specify how "deep" the inclusions are, or whether they can be seen by the unaided eye.
To sum this up stay in the VS-Si range of stones. Some SI''s are really good, but sometimes you really need a VS -1 stone. Depends on what''s available too.

Then cutting parameters of fancy shapes, ( which emerald cut is) are not thoroughly defined as to a proper cutting standard.
You have to ask to find out the crown height. In a very broad consieration of number predicting the stone''s quality, a minimum of at least 10% in the crown height usually indicates good proportions of the stone,.

I see you''re in Florida.. Richard Sherwood is as well and I am in Boca Raton.. Travelling to see the stone while being checked out is a good advantage for you.

Most sellers will send a stone to a recognized appraiser without you paying in advance for the stone. I would suggest this.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi
I saw this thread and decided to answer some of the question. The reason we are not registered with the better business bureau is beacuse they didnot like the fact that we had written on our home page "at wholesale prices to the public" which is now"at below retail prices" I guess would be more acceptable by them even though they both mean the same to me , since we are working on changing the look of our site ,we figured that we''ll wait until the new look will be up and then we''ll incorporate logos and become members with the BBB.
As far as knowing what you are getting, We thought about that when we created the site, and came up with this solution, We send the stone to a well known and reputable 3rd. party laboratory,that is not affiliated with us,they check the validity of the stone with the certificate it came with ( if the stone doesnot match the certificate it came with, they would not under no circumstance send it to the consumer,as they will not ruein their reputation),then they send to the consumer ,the stone,the original cert. ,and a passport size document thats called gem audit that states that the stone has passed the examination , then the 3rd party laboratory sends the stone directly on our behalf to the consumer in an insured overnight package.(We offer this service out for free to consumers who are purchasing over $10,000 , under 10k there is only a charge of $100.00)Thus protecting the consumer and ourselves. Many of our satisfied clients were very happy with this service and had mentioned that gem audit and our prices (and of course our friendly and knowledgable staff) are the reasons they liked buying from us.
Hope this answers some of the questions
I dont often frequent these forums ,and somtimes don''t answer all the questions, my appologies.
when in doubt feel free to call or email and we''lll explain

best regards

Diamondsman

buydiamonddirect.com

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seth:

See my comments under your other similar post.

Perry

sethcdavis

Rough_Rock
saw them perry, thanks a million...I''m still waiting to find out if I have to pay for the ring before it passes the appraisers examine....I''m a little leary about ginvg out 4 k for something I''ve never seen and have no proof exisist. (call me crazy)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results