shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!! 2.25-2.45 Round Diamond--GIA--VG/EX...Need best pricing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sharm

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!! I am in dire need of help with acquiring my stone. I have looked at a few local places to me and decided that a AGS 0-0-0 diamond is not going to be realistic for me given the size and budget I have set aside. So, I have decided to maybe look at an I, VS2, very good, very good, with good cut. I don''t know where would be the top two or three places to look but am open to all suggestions. I am in Southern California and so everything from San Diego to L.A. is fair game. I am also very open to saving money online from trusted or deep-disocunting sources.....Thanks for all of your help....Sharm
33.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2005 3:46:19 PM
Author:Sharm

I, VS2, very good, very good, with good cut.
Hmm... what do you mean by those cut grades ? GIA does not give any. The polish and symmetry grades on the GIA cert have nothing to do with the "ideal proportions" concept used by the AGS0 grade. Basically, AGS grades rate brilliance (as much as it can be guessed by crown & pavilion angles) and GIA rates sharp edges between facets and neat polish ! Because of this... the AGS cut grades have allot more impact on how the stone looks.

For this reason (as far as I can tell) GIA is going somewhat towards the same dirrection by making up a cut grade rating brilliance... but this another story.
20.gif

There are a couple of I - SI1 diamonds selected for cut (brilliance included) listed down the "Cut Quality Search" link above. Not much VS2... But "SI1" prices are that much nicer looking
2.gif
Any good ?

Here's one example . Other AGS0 I/SI1 come at around 17k from a search above... Were the prices you have seen any better ?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just out of curiousity, what is your budget? Many times online is much cheaper than B&M.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Sharm...

If you''re still looking for places. We found a good jeweler (just bought my upgrade through them!) located in Irvine. If you call them ahead of time and tell them what you''re looking for, they can set up an appointment and make sure the diamonds are there. I would speak to Troy (GIA Gemologist) as he is very easy going and very knowledgeable...oh! The website is Liberty Diamonds. All their contact information is on the web....

You may still find a better price online, but if you want to go to a B&M, they are a good place to start....we had a great experience with them!!

Sharm

Rough_Rock
I am looking to spend no more than $15k....am I in the right range here? Let me know what you think.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2005 6:32:52 PM
Author: Sharm
I am looking to spend no more than $15k....am I in the right range here? Let me know what you think.

Maybe I missed it, but did you indicate the size of the diamond you''re looking to purchase? If you''re looking for a carat or so, you should be able to find something within your budget....what size are you looking for?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2005 6:52:55 PM
Author: AChiOAlumna

Date: 4/13/2005 6:32:52 PM

Maybe I missed it, but did you indicate the size of the diamond you''re looking to purchase? If you''re looking for a carat or so, you should be able to find something within your budget....what size are you looking for?

Look at the title to the thread ALCHU - 2.25 - 2.45 carat.

Rockdoc

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
The title of the post indicates that Sharm is looking for a 2.25-2.45ct. stone.

I don't think you're going to find a certified non-dud I VS2 for that budget. I would consider looking at J SI stones or look into that 2.22 I SI1 from Dirt Cheap or decrease your size requirement. Remember, a lot of stones are cut deep and look smaller than they are, so if you get a stone with a depth of 61% (give or take a bit) or less, your stone will look bigger than the average poorly cut stone.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2005 7
6.gif
5:34 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
The title of the post indicates that Sharm is looking for a 2.25-2.45ct. stone.

DUH!!
6.gif
Okay...I''m a dork....
41.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Sharm,

Not sure, but I think I''d be wanting to consider 2 options, following the shopping strategy outlined under my signature, both associated with DCD, with one I SI 1 from the search by cut database, a signature option (the one Phoenix Girl mentions), and the other from the quick search database, an I VS2, with both under $16K (at least, based on wire payment).

Best,

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should definitely be able to find something in your range that is well-cut, where have you been looking so far?

Ira points out a few options....bigger diamonds are somewhat scarce right now but if you have some time to be patient, you will be able to find something. I would also say to consider a well-cut eye-clean SI1...at that size it will be harder to find them but if you can, it will keep you closer to that budget number. I have had an exceptional SI1 and now have an SI2 and loved them both. That DCD Signature I SI looks really nice!

Also, I would advise to focus on CUT being top priority...make sure the diamond is well-cut and it will mask any color...aka maybe you could even go to a J color with a well-cut stone vs an I with a mediocre-cut stone. They may look very similar if not the J looking better due to better cut.

Sharm

Rough_Rock
19.gif
Well...as far as timing, I need the ring in hand by 5/6 to go ahead with my proposal plans. The I, SI1, is that an ideal cut? I guess so since it''s an AGS. Also, is there any bargaining invloved with online retailers? If so, what is the possible range? I wen shopping locally here in San Diego over the weekend and saw 2.25 to 2.4 AGS diamonds that blew me away. Their cuts were amazing. I am definitely drawn to these and if the cut, color, and clarity are reasonable given the speakle from the cut, then I am ready to go. If I am confused in any way here, please feel free to set me straight. Thanks for all of the suggestions and info.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2005 2:17:37 AM

If I am confused in any way here, please feel free to set me straight.
Not sure if this is something you are already taking into account...

AJS does not guarantee "optical symmetry" - the H&A look. If that is what you find appeling, than AGS0 may or may not be that.

It seems that there are more ideal cut 2 carat stones in the right price range. The size difference is not allot and looking at those may well end up with a nicer diamond just because there is more to choose from. I would definitely stay with "SI1" and look for a clean piece with as high color as feasible. All in all - just looking for what shows more of all those grades.

Hope some of this helps.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Mostly, Mara is right, there''s not a lot of options right now in the larger size you''re looking for. So patience could help. But, and although a number of things point to the first I, I mention, and I see earlier on Ana suggested it, too, still, it does score below 2 on the HCA, and so, although the fact it is both a signature selection, and AGS -- while encouraging -- does not make it ideal, per se. Then again, you may find these thoughts helpful on that point (or not). Again, as I see it, unfortuantely, opening it up to Js doesn''t seem to expand your universe significantly, at least right now, too.

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results