shape
carat
color
clarity

Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fourseasons

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! :)

I've been looking for "the ring" for the past couple of weeks and yesterday I stumbled onto Pricescope and read tons of info and secretly read some of your posts, which I find so very helpful and certainly educational and sometimes very funny!:) Well, after reading the tutorials here and at diamondreview I still feel very uneducated about diamonds and still cannot make up my mind on which diamond and setting to buy. I went to Justice Jewelers and Shane Co in person and I didn't like the experiences that I had there. I've made contacts with uniondiamond and jamesallen, and they both seem to be very nice. Maybe I'll be buying an e-ring afterall. Could anyone give me any comments about uniondiamond and jamesallen? Have you shopped there before? How was the transaction?

What do you think of this diamond at uniondiamond? http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?context=rb&rb_flow_type=1&rb_action_type_id=22&search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&item_id=AA003691&&1.22ct-E-VS1-Round-Brilliant-Cut-Diamond

And this one at jamesallen?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=750973

Is flourescence that bad in normal light? Is it the factor that drives down the prices of these diamonds?

Thanks for reading this post and for any of your comments and help!

fourseasons

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I won't comment on the cut of these diamonds as I don't know too much about rounds, but personally, I would not buy a diamond with flourescence greater than medium.

Also, you may want to consider diamonds with a clarity of SI1. Many are eye clean and will cost you substantially less.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many people prefer to avoid a diamond with strong florescence. Apparently some stones with strong florescence appear milky or cloudy. Mediuim or faint would be more acceptable.

Preferences for color and clarity are very personal. But most here agree that paying a premium for D or E color and VVS clarity is a bit of overkill. Colors F and G are very colorless and desirable and more reasonably priced, and I am considering H as well. Some here even like I and J color in excellent cut stones. I don''t like many inclusions, so I do prefer VS1 or 2 for clarity. Some here do find eye-clean SI stones, but I like mine to look pretty clean with a 10x loupe.

So if you are really seeking a high quality stone in all areas, you might want to set your parameters at F-G for color, VS1 or 2 for clarity, and ideal cut (and avoid strong florescence). Have you looked at color and clarity at those jewelry stores you visited? That really helped me narrow down my options.

fourseasons

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Thanks Jazmine and DiamondSeeker2006!!!

After reading your postings and other info, I've decided to not seek any stones with fluorescence to be on the safe side. I'm looking for a stone (more I hope in the future :)) with excellent cut, nice color, good clarity and at a reasonable price. :) Too much to ask?

What do you think of jewelers who reject Megascope, Idealscope, or Firescope reports? Please advise! And also what do you think of EGL? Do you think their standards are much less rigid than those of AGI? Would it be safe to purchase diamonds graded by EGL?

Thanks for the help!!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS and know there''s a big community to help you. You are asking really good questions, and like many of us, we have become more knowledgeable thanks to the good nature of the members on this forum. I didn''t know squat about diamonds other than I wanted a good one, but through this site I have become so much more informed.

First, really read the tutorials. You''ve already been given some good pointers. Cut is the single most important aspect of any diamond. It''s not necessary to buy clarity you can''t see with the naked eye, UNLESS, you need mind clean. Meaning that if you knew there was an inclusion, would it bother you? If yes, then spend more money on clarity. Also, the advice to go down in color can make much sense, if you are getting a truly well cut stone.

I wouldn''t make fluorescence a critical factor. There''s a lot of debate here, but from my vantage, a really well cut stone with flourescence wouldn''t be cut from my consideration.

On the EGL question, many of us have learned that EGL is not necessarily as strict as GIA or AGS. That doesn''t mean that EGL graded stones are worse quality. There is usually a premium for GIA or AGS. I personally was willing to pay more for a GIA graded stone, and many other''s here feel the same. If you do find a EGL graded stone you like, you can have it evaluated by an independent appraiser (a good idea for any stone).

If you find a dealer who tries to devalue the benefits of scopes in general, you would be better off with dealers who appreciate and use them to your advantage. i.e., if they poo poo them, spend your money elsewhere.

Buying from a trusted seller is a good thing. You asked in your first post if James Allen is good. They have a good reputation. Many on this forum have had excellent buying experiences with Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Wink Jones, just to name a few. If you are lucky enough to live near one of them, that''s great. But it''s not necessary as they will work with you remotely.

And feel free to post the specifications, links and pictures (pics are important) of any stones you are seeking. When it comes to settings, there are many kind ladies who will help you. Just don''t tell them you are cheap, or that you have set a low budget because you want to save money. LOL

Good luck...........

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
We bought a diamond from www.uniondiamond.com and had a great experience. We also bought a diamond they labeled as ideal, and it is a great performer (scored a 1.0 Ex/Ex/Ex/Ex on the HCA!)

But I agree with the other posters about staying away from strong fluorescence (mine has medium and it''s fine), and staying away from EGL certificates.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i totally agree with rod... don''t make the issue of fluorescence a critical factor. there are only very rare circumstances where the strong-very strong presence has a negative effect and it can actually help the lower color stones look a bit whiter. for the most part you will not even be able to detect it (unless you are under blacklights).

egl is not the best of the best for grading and diamond dealers know that. if you have a stone that is graded by egl (who is known to be lenient) you have to wonder why the dealer decided to have it graded by them instead of one of the more stringent labs like gia or ags. can you find a nice egl graded stone? sure. just don''t pay a premium for it.

megascope (a measurement device) and idealscope (a reflector device) are helpful in making a sound purchase. especially site unseen. any online vendor that does not see the advantage in helping a consumer make an informed and confident decision does not deserve patronage.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock

Hello and welcome.

I haven''t been here for a few months but I can tell you that all strong flouresence stones aren''t bad...there are a few exceptions. We bought one with Strong. Flour. this past Sept. and I can tell you this stone is absolutely amazing. My stone never looks milky or anything but clear and gorgeous. I would rethink your stand on this. I bought from Whiteflash and had them give the stone a once over and they assured me of its beauty. I am still so in love with this stone. My color is an H and it looks like a D.

Good Luck

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
*mini hijack alert*

hey annette!
35.gif
how''ve you been!? it''s good to see you here again!
36.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hey Belle...

I have been ok...busy with a new business that I started but we are all ok here. How about you? How have you been?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m doing very good thanks! glad to hear all is well with you
1.gif
best of luck with the new business!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome!

I think you''ll find that the folks on pricescope are amazingly helpful.

Regarding the EGL certification...after reading everything here, my take on it is that EGL may be softer on color than GIA...but that doesn''t mean that all EGL stones are misgraded...I know of plenty of beautiful EGL stones...

Just my two cents...

fourseasons

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I really appreciate your replies to my posts and all of your advices!!! :)

ChooChoo, I might have made a deal with UnionDiamond if they had considered giving me those scopes reports or if they hadn''t suggested that those scopes were just toys not to be thought highly of. Anyway, I''m really thinking about making a deal with JamesAllen. If this transaction goes well, I definitely will be back.

All of these diamonds have GIA certs. I haven''t asked JA to let me see those scopes reports yet, but here are the specs. What do you think of these? Please let me know. Your comments will be very much appreciated!!!

#1 = $5400
1.0 ct., G, VS2
Depth: 62.1%
Table: 59%
Measurements: 6.36*6.39*3.96

#2 = $5450
1.02 ct., G, VS2
Depth: 59.2%
Table: 60%
Measurements: 6.59*6.62*3.91

#3 = $8410
1.28 ct., G, VS2
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 57%
Measurements: 6.95*7.01*4.30

#4 = $6210
1.23 ct., G, SI1
Depth: 63.3%
Measurements: 6.71*6.76*4.26

#5 = $7010
1.28 ct., G, SI1
Depth: 60.3%
Table: 58%
Measurements: 7.03*7.07*4.25

#6 = $7400
1.33 ct., G, SI1
Depth: 61.6%
Measurements: 7.06*7.10*4.36

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious, why did you rule out F color stones? You can get some nice deals on F SI1s, especially if they have some fluorescence. I found that going from a G to an F was not very expensive, and I personally can see a color difference.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d start looking under the Signature Series at JA. That 63.3 depth, yeowch.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think g/si is the purrrrfect combination
3.gif

none of those are great number-wise though. they''re either too deep/shallow, or the table is too big (usually both)
i''d maaaaaybe consider the last one.

fourseasons

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone!!!

I''d love to have a huge 2 ct. E VS1 with the perfect/ideal cut attached to it
30.gif
.... but the reality is saying that I''d better go for something like ~ 1 ct. F/G VS2/SI1. My bf and I are planning to be married this July, and a Vietnamese wedding does cost a lot.

The specs that I listed above are from JamesAllen''s premium and ideal cuts inventory. Hmm, I''d better do more searching and researching. Thanks!!!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I have dealt with jamesallen before with great results. He usually has the signature stones in house, and has to call the others in. He was able to get me sarin reports and pictures, as well as eyeball them himself to tell me what his practiced eye sees. Make sure you ask for those. I would start with the sig series and see if you can find what you are looking there first.

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
Hey there, I''m not exactly sure what your budget is but I thought a few of these looked nice, and I made G the lowest in color

1. http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2313853.htm $8,215.00

2. http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1105210.htm $8,575.00

3. http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_18ct_f_si1_h%26a.htm http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_202ct_h_si1_h&a.htm$ 7,661.
F in color and almost pegs the brilliantscope!

4. http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_19ct_g_si2_h%26a.htm $ 6,434.
Has an excellent brilliantscope but you''ll have to ask if it is eye clean.

5. http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1583706.htm $8,315.00
Might not be eye clean.

Personally I like #3, but there are a lot of great diamonds on GOG and whiteflash, with the expert selection being a very good value/performance (but the selection is a little small right now after Valentine''s day
3.gif
)

Good Luck!

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 5:43:34 PM
Author: schowtyme
Hey there, I''m not exactly sure what your budget is but I thought a few of these looked nice, and I made G the lowest in color

1. http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2313853.htm $8,215.00

2. http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1105210.htm $8,575.00

3. http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_18ct_f_si1_h%26a.htm http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_202ct_h_si1_h&a.htm$ 7,661.

F in color and almost pegs the brilliantscope!

4. http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_19ct_g_si2_h%26a.htm $ 6,434.

Has an excellent brilliantscope but you''ll have to ask if it is eye clean.

5. http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1583706.htm $8,315.00

Might not be eye clean.

Personally I like #3, but there are a lot of great diamonds on GOG and whiteflash, with the expert selection being a very good value/performance (but the selection is a little small right now after Valentine''s day
3.gif
)

Good Luck!

I love the 1st one. It has a gorgeous idealscope and all the numbers look great.
1.gif

fourseasons

Rough_Rock
Hi!

It''s been a while since my last post here. Thanks to everyone for your help!!! After many days browsing different inventories, I found these two stones whose prices are almost the same. Here are the specs:

Stone number 1
D, SI2, 1.08 ct. 62% depth, 55.7% table, 6.57 - 6.61 x 4.09
cut ideal
crown angle 34.8
pav angle 40.9
girdle 1.1% - 2.4 %
culet pointed
flourescence none
has tiny white crystals in the crown but not in the table. I have not yet been informed whether these tiny crystals or flaws can be seen with the naked eye and without magnification. Do you know if the crystals can expand sometime in the future?

Stone number 2
E, SI2, 1.11 ct. 61.5% depth, 55% talbe, 6.67 - 6.70 x 4.11
girdle 0.9% - 1.2%
cut ideal
has two small black inclusions in the table which cannot be seen without magnification.
I have seen the IdealScope image of the diamond. Excellent light return.
I have not seen the AGS report yet so I do not know of other characteristics of the diamond.

What do you think of these two diamonds? Which one would you rather have?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results