shape
carat
color
clarity

Hello, i''m new here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RedRing

Rough_Rock
hi all. today i went to a local jeweler in arizona looking to purchase a customized ruby ring. i talked to the guy about man made gems and natural gems but he told me that the size i wanted would only be found to be man made (12x10). He also told me this was normal but seeing as how i am rather ignorant in the selection gems i dont really know.

how is the value of it different than a natural gem?

the price he quoted was about $550 per carat. does the price sound about right?

also i was wondering the difference between red spinels and rubies? so many questions but i''m reading. slowly but surely. thanks in advance.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A gem quality ruby of that size would likely only be affordable by millionaires. A 1 ct high quality red ruby (approx 6mm) already puts you in the thousands assuming you can find one if you wanted an unheated one, it would be even pricier. In comparison, I would expect a lab grown one to cost 135$/ct at most.

Here's a drop dead gorgeous ruby ring from a Pricescope member, 2ct cushion, heated, and approx cost in the 5 figure area from what I gathered from the post.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-ruby-quest.131242/page-2,

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Not so long ago this beauty was sold, and incidentally, it''s about 12x10:

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=4660863

If you''re interested I''m sure Christie''s can contact the owner for you and ask if he/she''d like to sell
9.gif

On a more serious note, you already know most of what you need about these, rubies are some of the most expensive gemstones out there, cause so many people love the color red (and cause that color is so rare in gemstones). I don''t know enough about pricing of man-made gemstones to give you opinion about his quote, but I do know that there are some which are very inexpensive (the stuff you see most often sold in pre-made rings at B&M stores and malls - they can cost as little as a few dollars per carat) and some that are quite costly like some of the branded names of lab created gems, which are more difficult to create and which resemble the real ones much more.

But back on track (cause we''re not supposed to discuss man-made gems here - forum policies), about the differences between rubies and spinels you can read here: http://www.gemstone.org/ just click on "gem by gem" and then you can choose between the list of articles, including those about the stones that interest you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may be able to get a large natural ruby in the required 12x10 mm dimension but it will most likely be of poor quality (opaque), beryllium diffused, or lead glass filled or all three unless you are able to fork out millions of dollars for an untreated or even heat only (not in the millions but still a LOT of moolah). Because a large natural and untreated is incredibly rare, it is also priced out of the stratosphere of most people. You can either go with something smaller, select another red coloured gemstone or accept some level of treatment. That said, most people do not accept BE diffusion and lead glass filling because it is a highly invasive level of treatment.

$550/ct seems very expensive for a synthetic stone.

Many red spinels tend to show some hints of brown or orange. Even finding a top red spinel of 12x10 mm will be a long and expensive search because they aren''t easy to find these days. I prefer to find red spinels with fluorescence because it gives the stone an extra punch under UV (natural lighting).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2010 10:44:00 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
A gem quality ruby of that size would likely only be affordable by millionaires. A 1 ct high quality red ruby (approx 6mm) already puts you in the thousands assuming you can find one if you wanted an unheated one, it would be even pricier. In comparison, I would expect a lab grown one to cost 135$/ct at most.

Here''s a drop dead gorgeous ruby ring from a Pricescope member, 2ct cushion, heated, and approx cost in the 5 figure area from what I gathered from the post.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-ruby-quest.131242/page-2,
Unsure since it is H(a). From a discussion with PS-ers I found out that H(a) is not in the same category as H.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results