shape
carat
color
clarity

Hello, First Post - First Ring - PLease HelP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

K-Span

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,
I have been a Looonnnggg time lurker here on PS, sponging in as much info. as I can w/o going
32.gif

- This is my "First" Ring Purchase, & Will be proposing ASAP to my Girlfriend of 3yrs- Once I get this ring situation finalized I hope to be GTG

Here are the specs:

Ocal Brilliant - 1.30 ct
Color: F
Clarity: VVS1
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Florescence: None
Cutlet: None
Measurements: 8.43 x 6.36 x 3.75 mm
Table: 56%
Depth: 59%
Girdle: Thin to Thick
* I thought this would be fine as it falls under the AGA Grading as 1A, Should I have looked for something a tad deeper in Depth maybe 62-63%. Would this help with the "BOWTIE"

PLEASE HELP !!!
- These pics are not the best, & the ring Really does Shine with Lots of "Fire" outside.

- BUT, As you can see there is, in my opinion, a fairly large "BOWTIE" in the center in some of the pics. This has been a concern of mine & am looking for input from fellow members if I should return this & go a different route.
- I am very fond of the "OVAL" Shape/Look, but the "BOWTIE" is really turning me off to it.

Any suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated, Thank you all.

Hee Hyung 002.jpg

K-Span

Rough_Rock
More pics:

Hee Hyung 004.jpg

K-Span

Rough_Rock
Still posting pics

K-Span

Rough_Rock
Pics

Hee Hyung 026.jpg

K-Span

Rough_Rock
Pics

Hee Hyung 033.jpg

K-Span

Rough_Rock
Pics

Hee Hyung 035.jpg

K-Span

Rough_Rock
Pics

Hee Hyung 043.jpg

K-Span

Rough_Rock
Pics

Hee Hyung 050.jpg

K-Span

Rough_Rock
Pics

Hee Hyung 051.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
K-Span. The ring you picked out for your girl friend is very pretty. The diamond does look nice and sparkly. You should definitely pick a diamond you are happy with and find the one that appeals to both you and your girl friend. The oval diamonds I''ve seen are very, very pretty.

The bowtie effect is visible on ovals, marquis and heart shaped diamonds. The better cut stones will show less of the bowtie effect and give you more light return. I bought a diamond heart solitaire and used it as my ering for awhile but decided to go with a round brilliant ering because there were just times I didn''t like the "void" of sparkle from certain areas in the heart. In the end I couldn''t bear to part with my heart diamond ring so I kept it to wear with an enhancer as a right hand ring.

Keep us posted with what you decide.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it is a very pretty ring, I will say that! I am not much of an expert when it comes to the numbers, but I do see the bowtie. I am not sure if it would bother me or not, but it is bothering you. How do you think your GF would react to it?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately bowties often come with very well cut stones too. Just because it''s well cut doesn''t mean it won''t have a bowtie.

Ovals should be seen with your eyes and examined for possible bowties before you purchase it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2007 12:33:56 AM
Author: neatfreak
Unfortunately bowties often come with very well cut stones too. Just because it''s well cut doesn''t mean it won''t have a bowtie.

Ovals should be seen with your eyes and examined for possible bowties before you purchase it.

I agree! I think if it bothers you, you should find another stone. The setting is beautiful!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2007 12:40:12 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring

I agree! I think if it bothers you, you should find another stone. The setting is beautiful!
Ditto!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2007 1:45:15 AM
Author: snlee

Date: 6/19/2007 12:40:12 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Ditto!
And thritto.

A shallower oval tends to show less bow tie, in case you start looking again.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And quatto. Basically most fancy shapes which are elongated will show some sort of a bow tie, which may show up more at certain angles. You can try to minimise it, but often you can't altogether. If it is a huge issue, maybe a round might be best.

Check out Good Old Golds excellent explanation and advice on Fancy Shape Tips which includes advice on bow ties.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, K-span, the ring is gorgeous! To be honest with you though, I think the bowtie might bother me a little. If it were me I would look for another oval stone with a less pronounced bowtie but that is just me. You and your girlfriend are the ones that need to love it and if you do love it then keep it. Your girlfriend is sure to love it either way because it really is a gorgeous ring and it came from you!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I think this is really up to what makes you happy.

I''d personally not prefer such a pronounced bow-tie effect, but then again, I''m not a huge fancy fan, so I''d be less willing to make sacrifices to get a given shape.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a fancy person and I really like ovals. After a while the bow tie would bother me.

Otherwise it is a VERY pretty stone and ring. So if the bow tie bothers YOU please look some more.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Great setting! I''d return the stone and look for a new one since you are obviously less than thrilled about it. You want to be totally gaga over the stone and ring. Do a bit more searching and you''ll be glad you didn''t settle.

That setting is great, though!
36.gif

K-Span

Rough_Rock
Thank you Everyone For All Your Input/Feedback & Links !!!, Really Appreciate it.

I am still deciding which route I should go with this. The more time I spend looking at the ring, the harder it gets to part. But, the more time I spend here, The more I feel I should return it.... Still confused, but will narrow it down soon enough.

Also considering a 1.50+ ct. VSS-VS1 Princess instead ???
33.gif

Will update once I determine which route or have another ring to show.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
If there is one thing I do know, it''s that a little thing can become a big thing after you stare at it long enough. If it''s not too difficult, just go back and look at some more rocks til you find one that speaks to you. A reputable jeweler should let you do this. Don''t worry, you have time to get re-sentimental with a new rock, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results