shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom 3-stone RB Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I thought I would share pictures of my grandmother''s engagement ring that I have been blessed to inherit. It has a nice story behind it! My grandfather lived in the States for many years and was successful there. At some point he packed up everything he owned and all his savings and came home with a plan: if he met a great girl he would buy a farm and settle down with her; if he didn''t meet a great girl he would go back to the States forever! Well my Nana''s friend spotted him on the bus from Dublin and tipped my Nana off that there was a ''looker'' just home from the States who would be perfect for Nana - and well, Nana obviously agreed, cos she ''set her cap at him'' and he was smitten!
9.gif

The family lore is that this ring must be very valuable. It was bought in Dublin (a big deal in those days) and my grandfather was considered rather wealthy, being just home from America and all that. Anyway, long story short, I had a jeweller look at it as after all the family hype I was freaked out that it wasn''t specifically listed on the house insurance. In the end it seems it''s worth very little in money terms. The jeweller said the stones are low colour and all very badly included. Now this was just him looking very briefly through a loupe so I don''t have the exact stats but I plan to have it properly appraised and checked for security of the setting.

Nonetheless it is absolutely priceless to me and makes my heart sing when I look at it. I have only worn it once, for my call to the bar, and my Dad and I both cried when I asked would he mind if I wore it that day. It''s very special to me and it will definitely be my ''something old'' when I get married!

So here it is, my Nana''s ring. It''s 18k yellow gold with platinum prongs. I''m told the stones are three modern round brilliant diamonds, around the .20 carat mark each (middle one''s slightly bigger maybe). It was bought sometime in the late 1930s. I don''t know the size, it fits me just perfect (maybe a *little* snug) and I think I''m around a US size 7 but that''s guessing using Google instructions and a piece of string
9.gif

Hope you all think it''s as pretty as I do!

NanasRingPhotoshoot 030.jpg

Delster

Ideal_Rock
So you can see the prongs...

ETA: hmmm, something gone odd with the attachment here, oops!

NanasRingPhotoshoot 029.jpg

Delster

Ideal_Rock
A little sparkle!

NanasRingPhotoshoot 003.jpg

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Handshot...

NanasRingPhotoshoot 021.jpg

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful story! And stunning ring also! It is such a special memoir of your grandparents and their beautiful love story.
12.gif

CaityJ

Rough_Rock
What a sweet ring with a great story! I love to see vintage jewellery in (and on!) the hands of people who really love it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a precious story, lucky you!!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
This setting is so pretty and the story is beautiful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a sweet story and a very special ring!

Loreal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Such a sweet story. I too inherited a ring from my grandmother (97-years-old and still among the living!). I feel fortunate she chose me to inherit the ring - I have 4 sisters and am second youngest. I thought my eldest sister would inherit it.

Very lovely ring. Love vintage rings!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very pretty!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it is a beautiful ring with such a sweet history!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty ring and a sweet story to go with it!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Lovely story! Can you share some close ups? Because if its from the late 30''s they may actually be transitional cuts, which are wonderful!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2007 4:38:11 PM
Author: CaityJ
What a sweet ring with a great story! I love to see vintage jewellery in (and on!) the hands of people who really love it.

Well then, another handshot just for you!
1.gif

NanasRingPhotoshoot 011.jpg

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2007 1:49:54 AM
Author: surfgirl
Lovely story! Can you share some close ups? Because if its from the late 30''s they may actually be transitional cuts, which are wonderful!

Oh wouldn''t that be wonderful? Because I love love love your ring!!! Those older cuts are so beautiful!
1.gif

I actually asked the jeweller who looked at it whether it might be they might older cuts and he was emphatic that the stones are modern round brilliants. To me they look different to RBs but I put that down to the inclusions... the jeweller used the words "big" and "black" and "cracks"...
7.gif

I need to get it properly appraised, it''s just proving quite hard to find someone to do it here.

Anyhow, for the moment, this is a very poor close-up, I just cropped one of the images I already have. Unfortunately it''s focussed more on the setting than on the diamonds. You can see how the stones are held in by eight prongs each! I don''t have the ring here at the moment so I can''t do another set of photos but I promise to get onto it next week!

NanasRing closeup.JPG

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh the ring looks like it''s made for you! Too cool!
36.gif

griffiam

Rough_Rock
Delster,
Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful ring and touching family history! What a treasure! And as an attorney (in the US), I also wanted to say congratulations on your call to the bar.
36.gif

griffiam

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sadly, I cant tell the cut from the photo as its too blurred but you know, most average jewelers dont seem to know anything about old cuts, let alone WHICH old cut they''re looking at! If you can get some clear, sharp close ups I think we can tell if they''re RBs or otherwise...thanks for the ring compliment, BTW!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results