shape
carat
color
clarity

Heating blue tourm.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know what the outcome of heating a deep blue tourmaline is? What about a deep blue cuprian? I know all stones are different but will athe prediictable outcome be..generally speaking? lighten in color? Go colorless?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2010 6:10:22 PM
Author:amethystguy
Does anyone know what the outcome of heating a deep blue tourmaline is? What about a deep blue cuprian? I know all stones are different but will athe prediictable outcome be..generally speaking? lighten in color? Go colorless?
You should pm Jason Brim about this. I think he''s tried heating all kinds of tourms.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
He has been noticeable absent lately..have emailed him asking if eveything was okay..a little worried

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Lisa might know too, but she is away at the moment. Bump the thead Jason if you don''t get an answer before your post drops off the end of the page.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Cut off a corner and try it. If it pops, well at least you''ll know. Everything that I''ve read is very non-committal and say that it will lighten, stay the same or pop. If you''re going to heat the entire thing I''d sure make a point of cutting and polishing it first. In my experience deep blues are a 50-50 deal as far as popping during cutting. If it survives cutting, chances are much better that it will also survive heating, since internal stresses are obviously limited.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2010 1:19:31 AM
Author: Michael_E
Cut off a corner and try it. If it pops, well at least you''ll know. Everything that I''ve read is very non-committal and say that it will lighten, stay the same or pop. If you''re going to heat the entire thing I''d sure make a point of cutting and polishing it first. In my experience deep blues are a 50-50 deal as far as popping during cutting. If it survives cutting, chances are much better that it will also survive heating, since internal stresses are obviously limited.
I know this is why the guy I learned cutting from cut his tanzanite first as well then heated it. He stated if there were no problems during cutting then the heating went fine as well. Good luck, I hope it goes well

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
yea you are right on that, Jim..better to cut tanzy''s first then heat..i was told by a brazilian dealer..or who was it.."gringa" who said..they like to heat stones first down there..cuprians included and the ones that survive are already good for cutting where as if they spend the time cutting an unheated rough and it doesn''t turn right or breaks then that time has been wasted in the cutting process..either way i think i am going to pass on this tourm. have had to many break or not turn properly and if this stone doesn''t work right then it''s no good beinbg a little to dark...so this time i will pass..thansk for all the help
3.gif
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results