shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts & arrows question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spon

Rough_Rock
This may be a stupid question, but can I assume that a diamond that is classified as "hearts and arrows" will always score well on the Cut Advisor section of this site?

By the way, this website has helped TREMENDOUSLY in my research for an engagement ring. Thanks to everyone!!

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, not necessarily. The HCA is looking at proportion of the cut, H&A is more about symmetry -if that makes any sense. You would evaluate and measure those two things with different tools.

That being said, USUALLY - not always, the cutters who are intersted in cutting stones with an H&A pattern --usually cut an ideally proportioned stone too. But you can''t assume they go hand in hand automatically.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey spon! welcome to ps
35.gif

h&a patterning is seen when certain facets within the diamond are aligned, creating the h&a effect. the hca is a tool used to rule out potentialy poor performing stones based on relative angels and has nothing to do with facet alignment.

spon

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply!! I''m glad that I got that cleared up. I''m going to look at some stones this weekend and the jeweler has a Sarin machine, but I don''t really have any way of checking the Cut Advisor while i''m there (no internet access obviously). Of course the most important thing is how the stones appear to me, but I''m a beginner when it comes to diamonds and want to get the best stone that I can. Gotta have that extra bling on the ring! hahahaah.

thanks

spon

Rough_Rock
Thanks Belle. So a H&A cut stone could potentially be an "underperforming" stone in terms of brilliance and fire? To be honest I don''t really care so much that you can see the H&A design, I''m just trying to figure out if there is an objective way that I can very what I eyes see when I''m looking at a stone in terms of overall "sparkle" (for lack of a better word). I was assuming that by looking at H&A stones, I would be looking at the best sparkle diamonds, but I''m glad you clarified that for me.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results