carat
color
clarity

Healthy Living Thread

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Wednesday kids!

Curby, Is this the last of the furniture you guys need for the house? My dining room table will be way way too small for the new space, but I don't know what to get. I love a round table, but one that would be big enough in that place would be about ten feet across, LOL, so I will likely end up with a rectangle. And thank you for thinking of me and my grandmother. I strongly suspect I will clean up from the party Friday night and get up on Saturday morning to drive to Pittsburgh. I really do hope the weather cooperates...

Last night I had to dig through every frickin' box in my house to find my W-2s for 2011 and 2012 for the mortgage people. And I found the 1099 for my corporation for 2012, but not 2011. They haven't asked for proof of the corporate income yet, so I hope that missing 1099 won't become an issue. More left over Thai food last night. I finished the curry so tonight I'll have some more of the drunken crazy noodle (and how great is that for the name of a dish?!?) and cashew chicken and the rest goes in the trash. I also plan to clean the place thoroughly tonight so I can go to the One Of A Kind Show in the Merchandise Mart tomorrow night. It is a huge show of artists and artisans and there is generally some really cool stuff; jewelry, artwork, furniture, you name it! I am pretty much done with shopping but you never know what I might find there.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Wednesday! :wavey:

Dee Jay, I wish I was done getting furniture for our new place but that is like jewelry; I always want more. I want another couch in our living room and move the love seat to the den or the man cave. I’d like a new dresser in our room, more chairs (table) for downstairs, a recliner in the living room even though I have no idea where I’d put it and a nice soft footstool. Our old table was round that becomes oval with the one leaf. Our new one is rectangle with slightly rounded corners and with 2 inserts. It can make out to 48” x 104”. It should seat 10 easily if not 12 comfortably. A 10 foot round table would be huge; you’d need a giant lazy susan in the middle to pass things around. I hope the weather cooperates if you need to leave for Pittsburgh. What are you serving at your party? I love the name drunken crazy noodle; it’s worth cooking just so you can say you ate it. Have fun at the show tomorrow night.

I slept in until about 7:30. That was nice. I am going to hate getting neighbors some day; it is so darn quiet here it’s like camping in the country. I went out and shoveled my front porch so the guys delivering my table could get in the door. I tried to put my trash can on the street but the drift at the end of my driveway was too high to push that stupid trashcan through. Oh well, I tried. I made homemade beef noodle soup for lunch and my friend that lives near us came over for lunch.

The delivery guys showed up about 9:30. I cleaned up the floor and wiped down the new furniture. I did my lunch dishes and plan on being lazy the rest of the day. I need to go buy a few cards but decided why get cold if I don’t have to? I can stop somewhere after work tomorrow. We had 7” of snow and the temperature right now is 0 and feels like -18. Yep, good day to stay home.

Marty should be back in London now. He posted a picture of the Killer Rabbit on top of a tote bag that says Finland. I asked “did Killer get me a new tote bag?” I was whining recently my pink one that says London was getting dirty. I use it to haul things to and from work.

Deegee, how is your week going?

Take care.
Marcy

ETA: I just checked our forecast - tonight wind chill could reach -40. Aak!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a crazy Christmas dishes shopper. I just ordered a tree shaped candy dish, 2 butter plates and 3 soup bowls to go with my dishes. I figure the bowls and candy dish will work for pickles, olives, etc. I found a place with free shipping and 15% so how could I pass it up? :bigsmile:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I swear my teddy bears aren't safe anywhere. My employees sent me this picture from work today saying I better bring them snacks tomorrow or the bear gets it.

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1386201285.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Thursday kids!

Curby, I'm serving ham (which one of my old assistants from two jobs ago is come over to cook -- god love her!), cheeses and salamis with crackers, chips and dips, and lots and lots and lots of prosecco!!! So basically finger food. And poor Bear!!! I hope you are able to save him!

Last night I succumbed to the food in my lobby... Every Wednesday my building brings in a food vendor and they set up shop in the lobby. Usually I walk right by but last night it was BBQ and it smelled SO DAMN GOOD that I couldn't resist. Unfortunately it smelled better than it tasted, but I ate it anyway, LOL. Then I cleaned up the house quite a bit so all I have left to do tonight is the kitchen, including getting out all the paper plates and stuff like that to take downstairs tomorrow, and then I'll do the bathroom in the morning once I am through in there tomorrow.

Our temperature has dropped from 58 yesterday to 28 today. Brrr...!!!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
marcy-thanks for the telescope recommendation. Matt is researching it to make sure it does what he wants. Yay - new furniture!! We just need a few more things and then we're finished. A dining room set is one of those things. Our dining room is currently storing a couch that needs to be moved upstairs to the man room. Are you having a big Christmas party to go with your new Christmas dishes? Our project consultant had to fly from here to Denver yesterday. It was in the 60's here and waaayyy colder in Denver when he landed. I'm surprised he actually made it. Your bear looks so pitiful sitting there in the chair all wrapped up in garland. I sure hope you were able to meet their demands!

dee*jay-I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. Be careful driving if you end up heading that way. I hear you about the holidays coming too early. Matt's Christmas party is tomorrow night, and I haven't had time to buy something to wear. I tried on the suit I wore to last year's party, and had to make a quick run to the store tonight to get a pair of control top hose with extra panels to hold in the rear, gut, and hips. I was just tickled the pants zipped!

If it's not one thing, it's another. I had a bad reaction to something I ate Tuesday and have been down with a migraine for the last 2 days. I haven't been able to eat at all the last 2 days - hey, maybe that's why my suit pants zipped! I tried to go to work, but only made it a few hours each day before having to come home. I actually got sick at work in a room with people around, which was sooo embarrassing. Today everyone I came across let me know they heard what happened the day before and then proceeded to tell me how awful I looked. Nice. We got our tree up and decorated this week, and I love it! It's over 9 ft tall. We pushed it into a corner and decorated only would be seen, and it took every single light and ornament we had. I'll take a few pics this weekend. We have kind of fizzled on our outside decor. We got a few things up, but its going to be ugly this weekend so I think we're probably finished. Wish me luck in making it the whole day at work tomorrow, and then to a Christmas party tomorrow night in my too tight suit. Yay! Fun times! Have a great day.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Friday, Kids!

Dee Jay, your menu sounds great. How did the party go? I tried to make it but I ended up having way too many appointments here at the house today. I hate when food smells better than it tastes. That is kind of like popcorn. Welcome to the deep freeze. Poor Dallas had an ice storm. If you headed out already have a safe trip.

Deegee, that scope is definitely a beginners scope but I sure like it. If he wants something more substantial I can give him different recommendations but of course the price goes up; it’s like diamonds. That is great you don’t need a lot more furniture. Yes, we are having the family here for a Christmas dinner on the 22nd. It should be fun. My dad gave me $60 today for booze for that day. Too funny. I am sure your consultant did not like the weather in Denver. I hope you have fun at Matt’s Christmas party tomorrow. My company does them in January because they are cheaper. We should try to make Marty’s sometime; I wonder where it would be? I am so sorry to hear you had a rough week and got sick. I hope you are feeling better now. Your 9-foot tree sounds beautiful. I look forward to seeing pictures of it.

I stayed up late last night only to get a text from an employee at 7:15 that they were going to leave early today and a revised timecard was on my desk. Well, duh – I am not at work today have my boss sign it and turn it in. Sigh. I got up and took a shower. The warranty construction manager and a HVAC guy were coming by to look at the basement at 9. They wanted to have someone come back to work on it at 1 pm so I couldn’t go to the funeral I was planning on attending.

After they left I went to the grocery store. I picked up quite a bit of the stuff I need for the family Christmas dinner. It was sure icy out there; the temp was up to -3 and sunny so the snow and ice melt on top then freeze again.

I met my dad at Olive Garden for lunch and got home in time for the furnace guys to come by. They apparently put in 2 cold air returns in the ceiling downstairs. I swear since they left it is colder in here and smells funny. They left a light on downstairs but I don’t want to walk down there to turn it off well because there is 16 stairs to walk back up if I do that. Also when I told Marty that he said they were supposed to put them low because they won’t help in the ceiling. Sigh. Again that is why he should be here when they work on the house.

The drywall guy also came buy and chipped out a portion of our ceiling in the living room / dining room. We could see a seam up there so he filled it up and will come back and spackle it on Monday then we’ll need it painted. We still need a window replaced and then all the warranty should be done.

My poor bear had a rough afternoon at work. First I got a picture with him wrapped up in Christmas lights and bulbs, they said he was trying to decorate but it was too hard for him. Then they send a series of pictures of him drawing a picture (I can’t quite make out what he “drew”), playing uno and then his head was in the bottom tray of the printer. Then they sent me a picture of Cartman dressed up like a police officer setting on my bear and the last picture was of my bear drinking a Pepsi (I am a diehard Coke fan). And my employees were busy today. I told them if I didn’t know Marty was on a plane and couldn’t give them suggestions I’d swear he was putting them up to all of this.

Marty is on his way home now. I told him to be careful and watch out for black ice. Colorado has these stupid grooves in the highway that are the dumbest idea possible for the interstate in a place that has snow. The grooves work great in rain because it keeps the water off the road but guess what happens when it snows, melts then freezers? Yep, cars spin out and end up in the ditch or worse. I swear if I knew who thought they were a good idea to put in I’d go smack them.

Have a great weekend.
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Marcy-your poor little bear had a stressful day! Poor little guy is probably ready to come home. Do you have a certain amount of time to get the warranty work done? I don't like to be the one in charge when repair people come. They could tell me anything and I'd believe it! That's funny your dad gave you booze money! I have to hide my booze on the rare occasions Matt's parents visit, but my parents are in awe of my selection and look at it as a chance to try something new. I hope you have a great family get together. I live an hour and a half away from my family, and they all act like I'm so far away they can't possibly make the trip. I understand about the 16 steps. I've gotten so used to everything on the first floor now. I tend to call Matt on his cell phone rather than go upstairs to his man room. That's bad. I hope Marty is home and you enjoy your weekend!

The party last night was the same as usual. The food was good, the DJ was obnoxious and the music was really loud. Those of us who don't dance sit around and yell at each other. We stayed for 4 hours before I thought my head would explode. Tonight we have tickets to the symphony for the Christmas show. Our only plans for the day are to eat dinner at a nice restaurant and got to he symphony. A funny thing happened to me today. I was sitting in the couch, minding my own business. Max the cat was chilling upstairs, squeezed in between the rails that overlook the family room. Lily bolted up the stairs, Max freaked out and jumped, which sent him flying through the air and landing on me below. 18 pounds of cat slammed into the side of my head, and he scratched the crap out of my arm trying to get away. I think I have new whiplash! Can you imagine me explaining this one to the chiropractor? Matt was sweet and doctored the cuts down my arm. Lily knows I got hurt, so now she's guarding me. Max is afraid to come out from under the bed. The strangest things happen to me. Have a good evening!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Cold Saturday.

Deegee, I agree that I might need to bring my teddy bear home from work. They just aren't safe anywhere. The house is under warranty for a year. We closed on December 21st. Marty thinks the basement is colder. He wanted the cold air returns on the floor because it doesn't make sense to have them on the ceiling. Once again that is why he should be here when they are working on those kind of things because I am just okay fine. It is funny my dad gave me booze money. Do you remember my visit to one of my sisters last summer when she went on a rant about serving wine at a family dinner where there are kids? It will be interesting to see if she says something about that for the Christmas dinner. Her daughters like wine. I wonder if they will have some wine they are here. Do you have to hide the booze from Matt's parents? That is good your parents like to try new things. Does your dad start chemo this week? I hope he does good with it. Most of my family is about 90 minutes away too but sometimes it seems very far. That is funny you'll call Matt in his man room. Our new phones have an intercom that I can call Marty on downstairs but I usually just text him. The Lily and Max story did make me laugh but I am sorry you got hurt. I bet that would be quite a jolt on your head. You can't make those kind of things up. Take it easy tomorrow.

We slept until about 7. I didn't sleep well because all of a sudden someone was moving around and snoring in my bed. Marty slept from about 10 until 7. He said he hasn't slept that much in weeks.

I made eggs, bacon and biscuits for breakfast then we ran errands. We took the truck since the roads are so icy. Some intersections were actually closed off by cones with police cars behind them. All we could figured is they were waiting for a plow or sand truck to get there. Marty got felt pads for the feet of our new chairs and the bottom of the legs on the table. He picked up windshield fluid inky to find out he didn't need any his tank was frozen coming home from the airport. He dropped off his suits so he can get them before his next trip then we hit the liquor store. We got 6 whites, 6 reds, some beer and some soda.

We had leftover soup for lunch and cheese and crackers for supper.

Here are the 2 pictures they sent me from work yesterday. They are worth a good laugh.

Marcy

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1386469443.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1386469452.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Sunday Kids.

We are up to 7 degrees now and it inky feels like 0. I hardly need a cost anymore in this heat wave.

We got up about 7. I made pancakes and bacon for Marty for breakfast. I decided to make dinner rolls for the family Christmas dinner so I brewed them up and Marty helped me roll them out to make crescent rolls. They turned out good but are a little large. We were kind of guessing on size. We both had 1 hot one so we could test them. You know you can't serve company bad food.

We have been watching football all day. Some of games were playing in heavy snow. We ordered pizza for lunch since we were busy making rolls. Now I have the dishes done, the rolls in the freezer and have just been knitting and watching football this afternoon.

Marcy

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Sunday kids.

Deegee, that is just a crazy story about your cat! I'm sorry are all scratched up, that's just terrible! And I am right there with you about loud restaurants and bars. I have, on lots and lots of occasions, walked into a place and turned around and gone right back out. Being in a place that I can't even hear the person I'm with is absolutely no fun at all.

Marcy, those bear pics are just too funny! I'm glad Marty made it home. What are you knitting? I *can* knit, but only very basic stitches. Kind of embarrassing really... I'm a much better crochetter (sp?)! My father's mother could knit and/or crochet ANYTHING, and I mean anything. It was amazing. She would just LOOK at something and voila!

My (other) grandmother passed away last night so tomorrow I am on my way to Pittsburgh. We are having a bit of a blizzard here in Chicago or else I would have considered driving instead of flying, but I really didn't want to end up stuck in a total snow situation in like the middle of Ohio or something. Apparently my grandmother left a bit of a mess in terms of paperwork so I'm going to help my brother and mother as much as I can, but this is sounding like a nightmare out of the gate...

My annual client party was on Friday and about 50 people came through. I've got lots of leftovers, and none of them good for me! (As I sit here eating cookies... ACK.) Today the CB and I went to THE appliance store here in the Chicagoland area and looked at things. Good god, appliances cost a FORTUNE. I've decided to "skimp" and get the $4,000 refrigerator, but I really like the $6,500 range. Oh, and sinks are now more than $1,000. WTF.

OK, off to pack.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother. That is probably a good call to fly instead of drive with all the snow storms going on. Good luck going through all the paperwork and dealing with your brother and mother. Hopefully that goes well. The price of appliances have gone up a lot since we bought new appliances about 5 years ago for our old house. I don't like my refrigerator or dishwasher very well in the new house but after looking at prices I decided those appliances were "GREAT". It sounds like your client party had a good turn out. I am knitting a scarf with a variation of a rib pattern. I can knit anything but crocheting is more challenging for me. I can crochet okay but I hold the hook like a knitting needle and work it the same as knitting and I have to watch and count every stitch. It does come out the same way though. Have a safe trip, I'll be thinking of you and your family. Let me know if I can do anything.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy Windy Monday!

We have wind gusts up to 65 mph around here so driving home tonight was like driving through a blizzard. Fun! Deegee and Dee Jay you guys are probably getting the snow we had last week. Welcome to winter, huh?

Marty was on conference calls all day. He didn't even know it was after 5 when I got home. Rats, he didn't cook supper for us but the steaks were still partly froze anyway so I microwaved some stuffed shells and leftover spaghetti for us. I baked Marty a couple of rolls and me one and we had raw veggies. We'll try for steak and rice tomorrow night.

Work was okay today. I had 3 meetings and was busy most of the day.

Is it Friday yet?

Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Marcy-your bear stuffed in the printer drawer is too funny. You work with a bunch of stinkers! I always feel funny ordering a beer with my dinner when my nieces come for a visit, even though I know their parents drink. I'd never hear the end of it if Matt's parents knew I drink because they sit in judgement of all others. I once excused myself from the table at a restaurant to hunt down the server to ask her to make my ice tea the Long Island variety, and to keep that little tidbit of info from my MIL. (I needed that drink after listening to her.) My dad and I drank beer and watched football during their visit last week. My parents are soooo different than Matt's. Dad gets his pump put in this week, and chemo starts on Monday. He is going to be so sick over Christmas. I hate that for him and my mom more than I can express. I have been having not so nice thoughts about it all. Matt's parents are selfish takers who wallow in nastiness, and no one wants to be around them, and they're perfectly healthy, miserable souls who go nowhere and do nothing. My wonderful, giving, awesome parents whom everyone adores have heart problems, arthritis, etc., and dad is having his 2nd bout with cancer. I know...there's no reason or logic in life. I'm a bad person for even going there.

Dee*Jay-I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. Safe travels. I didn't know fridges cost so much! The one we replaced in our old house was $2000 2 years ago, but it certainly buy anything fancy. Do you cook enough to use a $6,500 range? I thought you were like me! Nuke-a-wave queen! If I actually cook, it is something that has come out of a box or the freezer. My gas stove and convection oven are pretty darn fancy for me. I'm miserable in really loud places anymore. I feel so old! Somehow we were seated at the table right next to the dance floor and a ginormous speaker, and the DJ started blasting music before everyone was finished with dinner.

I think my getting decked by a flying cat story will be funny once my puffy lip heals. And also once I get my glasses straightened back out. Darn cat. Both cats are snuggled up next to Lily on the couch, so I guess everyone has made up. Yes Marcy, I think we got some of your weather yesterday and they're warning us about the morning commute. After work I did laundry, put out the rest of what I'm going to do for outside decorations, and paid a slew of bills online. I had chicken noodle soup for lunch and a hamburger from Wendy's for dinner. No exercise, but I didn't sit down until after 9 this evening so that counts for something. Matt is out of town until Thursday this week. I have been such a grouch this Christmas season, and I noticed when I left work this evening that he had changed my default satellite radio station to a Christmas station, and he replaced the USB of my normal music with a USB with all Christmas music. What a twerp! Have a good evening.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deegee, I understand how you feel about how things work out in life and wonder why nice people have bad things happen to them when nasty people just seem to skate through life. Trust me I don't think ill of you for going there and I have those same feelings myself. I try not to dwell on it, I know life isn't fair but when bad things happen to people we love I think it's natural for us to wonder why. I am sure life isn't all roses for those nasty people as well. I am glad you and your dad enjoyed a day of football, good company and a beer this weekend. I hope your dad is feeling better by Christmas after his first round of chemo, I know this will be hard on him, your mom and you. I wish I could do something or say something to help.

That is too funny you hunted down your waitress and had her bring you a long island iced tea; it sounds like being around Matt's parents would drive anyone to drink. They sound like real charmers.

I hope your lip and scratches heal soon. Darn it that your glasses are bent. Glad to hear Lily and the cats made up. Good idea to get out the rest of the decorations you want outside.

My employees were all chuckling today about the teddy bear antics today. Amazingly the bear seemed to behave when I was there. Of course they told me that is because the bear is afraid I'll take him home and let the killer rabbit loose on him.

Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Marcy-you and your family have been through a tough time this year and you're right about not dwelling on those thoughts. Thanks for your words! I need to focus on the fact that my parents are, and have always been, wonderful. I am very blessed. Matt resents his parents but has tried to find some peace over the years. He has told my parents many times that visiting them was refreshing, especially after a visit to his parents. It really hurts him that his parents are the way they are. My boss and I had a long talk today. Her husband has been fighting cancer of the brain and eyes for the past two years. They have 2 little ones under the age of 8. She gave me some advice and tips for my mom, and she talked about how important it was for the family to stay positive and support not only my dad but each other. Her dad died a few years ago of pancreatic cancer and her mom died suddenly last year. If she can keep a good attitude then dang it, so can I! So, have you set your new table with your new Christmas dishes, just to see how it looks...and of course, to decide what else you might need to order? I bet everything looks fabulous. Hopefully next Christmas we'll have a dining room table and we can buy some pretty dishes and have people over. I don't cook though, so I'd be serving pizza on those pretty dishes! And I don't blame the bear for not wanting to come home. Don't you have killer rabbits on your tree?

I went to bed this morning at 3:30 and woke up at 5:30, and couldn't get back to sleep no matter how hard I tried. I'm beat. I had tomato soup for lunch and a ham sandwich for dinner. Lily and I tried to walk but the road was pretty icy. I figured a fall was imminent, so we came back home. I'm going to try to find something to do until Matt calls, but I'm betting I conk out on the couch. Good night!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Windy Tuesday!

Deegee, I am so glad you are blessed with wonderful parents and a wonderful husband. I know I’ve said this before but I think it is great that Matt has your family since his parents sound like such “charmers”. I completely understand why it would make Matt feel bad but I am so glad he has risen above it and has a far better life for it. You boss certainly has had challenges and heartbreak over the last few years. She is so right that maintaining a positive attitude can be a big help in such trying times. I feel bad for her. I have not set my table yet but I did get my butter plates and 3 pasta bowls in the mail today. I love the little butter plates. They are about 6” in diameter and are so cute – little holly plates. I told Marty they are my favorite so far. I see nothing wrong with you having a party and serving pizza. You could also try a potluck. Yes, I do have killer rabbits in our tree so I don’t blame the bear either for wanting to stay at work. Good idea to go home instead of walking when it’s icy. You did have a very short night; I hope you sleep well tonight.

Speaking of sleeping well I did not. Deegee you have more sleep than me but I went to bed late then woke up about 2:30 and then at 5:30 Marty’s phone chirped. He slept right through it and I was wide-awake until right before my alarm went off.
It was still horribly windy when I left for work so instead of opening the garage door as I came in the garage I just got in my car then opened the garage door. I just start backing out and all of a sudden I realize I’m not going anywhere. I am so stuck in a big snow drift I can’t go anywhere – frontwards or backwards. I try to get out of the car to come in the house and get Marty but I can’t get the door open. I call Marty who comes out and digs me out. The stupid wind last night blew in a drift about 15 inches high and about 10 feet long. Marty said it was like chipping out cement. My car was shaking when I drove after that so I hope I didn’t ruin anything. Most likely it is snow on the tires and around the wheels.

I got to work and stayed there for less than an hour and headed off to a funeral. The photo shop I worked at through college and for many years after graduating was run by a couple and the wife died last week. The funeral was downtown so parking is always a challenge especially after a snowstorm with drifting so I walked about 2 blocks to get to the church. It was a very chilly walk too.

After the service I stopped at the bank then picked up a junior Arby’s roast beef sandwich and a small potato cake. The last time I bought a junior RB sandwich it was much larger so I ate 2 potato cakes instead of just my usual one. It at least stayed warm until I got back to work.

The roads were much better coming home tonight even though it is still very windy around here. Tomorrow we might make it above freezing.

Marty broiled steaks and made rice and veggies for supper. Tomorrow is crockpot ribs and baked potatoes.

Dee Jay, I hope things are going okay for you this week.

Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy We Got Above Freezing Wednesday!

Work was very busy today so the day zipped by. I left BBQ ribs in the crock pot and Marty made seasoned potatoes for us. Mmm. We had a glass of wine with it and I am finally done with chores other than a batch of towels I just started.

I guess Marty will be back in the UK for 2 weeks in January. Boo. He is headed to Serbia next week. He leaves on Sunday.

I made my baking shopping list today. I need to get busy on more cookies and a pan of fudge. I freeze it all when I get it done then pack it up and send it home with everyone. We save a few pieces of each in the freezer for Christmas day. We don't want the temptation around the house.

Laters!
Marcy

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Thursday kids.

Deegee, I don’t cook AT ALL. But it’s all about “the look” and *perceived* quality. Frankly I don’t think a Viking or Thermador range is any (much?) better than the Whirlpool counterpart for a fraction of the cost, but when I go to sell this place I know what people look for and they will be WOW’d but very high end appliances. Whatever. I may never turn the thing on!

Marcy, I would love some pictures of your plates! When I was looking at a condo a few years ago the guy who lived there actually had the dining room table “set” and it looked FABULOUS. I mean FABULOUS. He had all these marvelous cool plates and the whole thing was decked out like he was expecting people for a dinner party any second. I have often promised myself I am going to keep my table set like that but it’s never happened… (Is anyone surprised?!?)

I am happy to report that I’m back in Chicago. The past three days were MISERABLE. My mother makes me INSANE, but brother smokes like a chimney (the house is tiny and he never opens the window even), and the paperwork is a MESS MESS MESS. Just when we thought we had a handle on things my mother when to get a cup to make tea and found five more insurance policies in the china cabinet. Oy. And speaking of China, I am now the proud owner of Wedgewood service for 24 with platinum (yes, PLATINUM) trim. My grandmother’s second husband bought it for me when I was SIX and it’s been sitting there waiting for me ever since. I can’t decide whether to sell it on Ebay or just use it as my everyday dishes.

Food was catch-as-catch-can and I drank every night I was there. Enough said!

OK, off to straighten up some things from when I was gone.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And let's just add insult to injury (this is my venting thread, LOL -- I say things in here I don't say elsewhere, and certainly not in real life!).

When I was waiting for my flight on Monday morning the CB called and said, um, where do you store your furs? So I told him, and he emailed me an article in the local paper. Apparently the guy who owns the place where I store them has been taking them in and then selling them!!! I last stored my furs in May 2012 and I didn't pick them up that winter becuase I was in KC. My plan was to get them this week (I never retrieve them before Thanksgiving). Well I just got off the phone with the State's Attorney's office and they can only locate three of my four coats. Of course the one they can't find is my favorite--Bill bought it for me for my 30th birthday. I am SO PISSED OFF. I have to go there next Tuesday and get them (assuming they are actually mine becuase there have been some mislabeled). My insurance company is going to SO NOT LOVE ME... and I'm trying to get homeowner's insurance for my new place right now... ;(

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.

Dee Jay, I will start washing my plates Sunday so I will get some pictures of them. That is cool you really remember a condo that had the table set to impress. I best do some searching for elegant table settings. Sorry delaying with your mom and brother was so miserable. I remember when Marty's parents cleaned out his grandmas house they were finding stuff for months. She hid money everywhere including the freezer so they had to go through everything after that. I'd love to see your Wedgewood service. It sounds cool. I can understand why you'd drink every night while you were away. How awful about your fur coats. I hope the 3 they have are your and they find the 4th one. Good luck with that.

I hurried home from work so I could have dishes done before the football game started tonight. Since the Broncos are playing so bad right now I wish I had dishes to go work on. Grr. I ordered soup and a burger to split from Chillis and had Marty go pick them up while I was driving home. So much for planning ahead. Ha ha.

I met a friend for lunch today and then stopped by and visited my dad for about 15 minutes. It sounds like he is planning some trips for the spring. I am glad he is sticking to his normal routine but I think he will be really lonely driving by himself. He wants to go to Branson for a show then visit relatives in Alabama.

We got in to the 50's today. Woo hoo. Sadly next Thursday (the day Marty will be driving home for the airport) we will be getting more snow and bitter cold. Aak.

Laters.
Marcy

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Friday kids!

Marcy, I am pretty confident the three coats they have are mine based on the tag numbers matching and everything, but I'm really bummed about the lost one. The insurance company and I have been trading messages and I really really hope this doesn't affect my ability to get homeowner's insurance on the new place. You would think not becuase this even clearly took place away from my home and outside of my control, but I guess with insurance companies you just never know...

The food at my company's party last night was AMAZING and it was set up like "casino night." We all had such a good time and at the end of the night you could trade in your chips for raffle tickets that were drawn for prizes. My admin won a $5,000 travel voucher and I'm just thrilled for her! She's going to surprise her husband with it some night next week.

OK, off to find that second cup of coffee...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Friday and the Weekend Is Here :wavey:

Dee Jay, that sounds promising the 3 coats they have appear to be yours. Sorry you lost your birthday present coat though. Hopefully your insurance can re-coop some of their losses by going after his insurance (if he had any). I don't see how that kind of loss should impact insurance on your new place though. The company party sounds really nice. Yay for amazing food and great prices. Your Admin's husband is going to be very pleasantly surprised. :appl:

Marty had some friends over tonight to play poker. Since only 3 guys showed up they were out of here by 10. I made 2 kinds of cookies so the guys enjoyed some warm cookies. I was in the kitchen forever. Marty made chicken curry for poker so I had to do those dishes before I even started on my cookies. I am the family Christmas cookie baker. I am down to 2 more kinds of cookies and 1 pan of fudge. I think I'll make some small baggies of assorted cookies up and freeze them for my dad. He is a skinny guy who can eat anything and not gain weight. I so wish I had that problem. He likes treats too so that would make a nice Christmas gift for him.

Tomorrow is laundry day. Marty has to go pick up his suits and we are having dinner with friends. I am taking cookies and a salad.

Have a great weekend.

Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Saturday! :wavey:

We went out for breakfast, ran a few errands then came home and worked on things around the house. I have some cupboards I wanted to line so I worked on them for a few hours. Marty is headed overseas again tomorrow so we picked up his suits and got him packed. We are having dinner with friends tonight. We figure their 5 year old daughter is going to punch Marty - he ate reindeer on his last trip to Europe so they told her last night Marty ate one of Santa's reindeer. She started crying so they sent Marty a picture of her crying and all upset.

Tomorrow I am getting with my dad to go over his "stuff" and filling out some papers to put me on his life insurance as beneficiary. He's sent it in twice and they keep telling him he is doing it wrong so I will fill it out for him. I plan on getting another type of Christmas cookie made tomorrow then I'll be down to one more batch of cookies and one pan of fudge.

My legs are sore today from spending about 4 hours in the kitchen last night. Rats.

Take care.
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Howdy all!

Dee*Jay-oh wow! What a story about your furs! I hate it for you that you lost one that meant a lot to you. Good luck with your insurance company. I just don't understand people. I have to flag accounts quite often for members who have been caught embezzling, among other things. There have been some pretty crazy stories and I always wonder how people can be so bold and think they'll never get caught. Good thinking about the high end appliances. Everyone who visits me makes a big to-do over my stove. It's not nearly as fancy as you're looking at, but people who actually cook seem to notice it. All I know is that I nearly catch my hair on fire every time I turn it on because I'm not used to a gas stove and the little flame. Another reason not to cook!

Marcy-I can't wait to see a picture of your table all set. I have a coworker who leaves her dining room table set like she's always ready to have a dinner party. It's so pretty! I told Matt that when we have a dining room table next year, we're buying pretty Christmas dishes and having people over for pizza. Your poor friend's little daughter! I bet she is mad at Marty. Last year on one wall for our decorations at work, we made a fireplace and chimney. We had Santa legs sticking out of the top of the chimney. We made it look like he dove in. A coworker brought her 2yr old granddaughter to see the decorations, and the little one kept coming back to our section, pointing at the chimney, and saying in a very concerned voice "Santa stuck!" I just read your post from yesterday and remembered I was supposed to be at a neighborhood cookie exchange today. Oopsie.

We've been out of town the last few days. We went to Louisville for Matt's Christmas party for that office. We went to see Trans Siberian Orchestra in Cincinnati Friday, spent yesterday shopping in Cincinnati, and got home late last night. Matt's parents live in Cincinnati, but his dad has taken a temporary assignment at a church in Iowa so they are living there for the time being. Not having to visit them made the trip so much fun! I haven't bought clothes for myself for a while (I didn't buy any winter clothes last year) so I was supposed to go on a shopping spree. I couldn't find much and ended up buying a few sweaters and a toasty warm coat at Eddie Bauer. We bought new towels and wash cloths at Pottery Barn, and Matt ended up buying himself some nice dress shirts, shoes, a new winter coat, and gloves. No Christmas present buying on this trip! It seems like we're always buying for other people, so this trip was all about us. We walked so much the last few days that my legs are really feeling it today. I did pretty good with food. I'm trying to work up the energy to get in the shower. It's 3:15 and I'm still on the couch in my jammies. Have a great evening!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

Deegee, sorry if I missed this but what brand of stove do you have? Marty would love to get one of those fancy gas stoves they have on cooking shows. How neat your co-worker leaves her table set for a dinner party all the time. A well set table looks very impressive. Good idea to get Christmas dishes for next year and have everyone in for pizza. My friend’s daughter answered the door last night and asked Marty why he ate Dasher. That is really cute the little boy at work was worried about Santa being stuck. Rats for missing the cookie exchange. It sounds like you had a busy couple of days and found some new clothes. Nice to visit Cincinnati without the necessity to visit Matt’s family.

The weekend went by pretty fast but today sure dragged.

Our friends cooked a turkey so Marty could have a Thanksgiving dinner. We played cards and got home about midnight. Marty was on the road to the airport by 6:15 am – short night! He’ll arrive at his destination about 5 am our time tomorrow. I hope he sleeps some on the plane.

I went over to my dad’s this morning to go over paperwork with him.

My dad and I went out to lunch and split a cheeseburger. They give you such large burgers most places ½ of one is more than enough.

I made sour cream sugar cookies today and got them in the freezer. I had 6 cookies that wouldn’t fit in my container so I’ll drop them by for my dad on the way to work tomorrow. If I leave them here I’ll eat them.

Laters, :wavey:
Marcy

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday kids!

Deegee, I have always wanted to see Trans Siberian Orchestra! Last night we went to a "house concert" held by a friend of mine. He knows a lot of people in the music industry and there is a group of four folk singers touring in this area right now so he had about 30 people over and they sang for us in his living room. It was pretty awesome!

Curby, it was so nice of your friends to have Thanksgiving for Marty! And that story about eating Dasher makes me LOL! (Poor kid though!) And I feel for you on all the "stuff" with your dad. I have become the defacto executrix of my grandmother's estate and this paperwork is enough to drive me to drink (as if I need any more of an excuse!).

This weekend was sheer craziness. I went home on Friday and took a two hour nap. The cold I brought back from Pittsburgh really kicked my A$$. The CB came over and we ate in, then I wrapped some more gifts. Saturday I braved a mall to finish the last of the shopping. It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be, but we got out of there as fast as we could. Yesterday I went to an annual holiday brunch hosted by someone that I used to work with back in the late nineties, and then there was the house party. I did finish boxing up everything to ship and dropped it down in my receiving room this morning for Fed Ex to pick up, but I just did not have the energy to clean up the paper and boxe and ribbon I have all over the apartment. That HAS to get done before I head to Tahoe on Thursday though becuase I just CAN NOT come home to that mess. And today through Wednesday I am working 8-5:30 and then going to tax school from 6-9. Do you think anyone would notice if I climbed under my desk and took a nap...???

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday! :wavey:

Dee Jay, too funny you called me Curby again because I did slid on ice the other day and hit the curb at the drive through lane at the post office. I keep forgetting to check by back wheel though. I figure piled up ice doesn't count though, right? Marty ate reindeer again today in Serbia. I told him that little girl is going to be really made at him now. I feel for you on taking care of your grandmother's estate. There is so much to do. I agree that can drive us to drink. Any news on your furs? You certainly had a busy weekend and this week doesn't look much easier. I know what you mean about coming home to a mess. Marty teases me about that as well.

I slept pretty well for Marty being gone. I am on round 2 of running my Christmas dishes through the dishwasher. I cleaned out a few cupboards here and there so I'd have a place to put everything after it's clean. It will be a challenge to get it all put away. See above about not leaving messes.

I hate this Christmas Snoopy iPhone cover but it's slick. After having my phone shoot out of my hand 3 times now with that case on I put my Tumi case back on and threw the the Snoopy cover away.

I was going to make fudge tonight but as the guys that work with me quickly pointed out today that is not a good idea because after the fudge sets up - what do you use to cut it up? Yes, one of those knives which I am banned from using for my own good. I admitted that was a good call; I'll make it the night Marty is driving home from DIA.

Take care.
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay- Matt and I have been going to the Trans Siberian orchestra concert every year since they started touring, I think 12 or 13 years ago. They were here in WV in November, but we always like to go out of town to a bigger venue. Your home concert sounds awesome! The Christmas season is so exhausting. Too much to do in so little time. It would help if I would start earlier, but I can never get motivated.

Marcy-you definitely need those personalized plates for your car. People at work are always reminding me of things I'm not allowed to do. I got griped at for walking up the stairs with a hot cup of coffee today. I'm not allowed to do that because of my balance issues, but the elevator was broken. How am I supposed to get back to my table with my coffee? Geez. Maybe you could make your fudge and tell people they have to break off a piece. My stove isn't anything high end. It's a frigidairre professional series gas stove/electric convection oven. Maybe it's high end of the low end appliances! I felt bad about missing the cookie exchange because it was right across the street. I'm also dying to see inside that house and I missed my chance. Darn it!

Dad had his first treatment today. Mom said he felt okay but was really uncomfortable with the pump that doesn't come out until Wednesday. Afterwards, they went to the pharmacy to have prescriptions filled. The pharmacy wouldn't fill one of them until they (the pharmacy) contact the dr to tell him to contact insurance. Unfortunately it's was too late tonight to get the dr, and the medicine is for nausea. How ridiculous is that? They tell you to tackle the nausea right away, and then you can't get the prescription filled. I did pretty good with food today. I took my group out for our last Christmas lunch together. I had 1/2 bowl of soup and 1/2 sandwich. Matt made chili and grilled cheese for dinner. We sat around and talked all evening while he made Christmas peanut clusters. One candy making night many years ago, I tossed dry roasted peanuts into the leftover melted dipping chocolate in an effort to use all of the chocolate. I spooned out little peanut globs, which turned out to be a big hit. They are requested every year, and that's something we can so without messing it up! I'm off to bed. Have a good day tomorrow!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Tuesday kids!

Curby, anything involving piled up ice certainly doesn’t count! I’m going to get (what I hope are) my three remaining furs on Thursday morning. I have to do this big form for the State’s Attorney’s office and all this other stuff. Ug. And my mess did not get improved at all last night. Still stuff everywhere… And my nailes look like absolute hell. The saving grace is I have a really light neutral color on so I'm sure I'm the only one who notices

Deegee, I shop all year and usually start wrapping in October (yes, really!) but this year with all my exams going through the end of November and this whole grandmother thing, well, the season just got away from me. And the idea that I’m not sending x-mas cards this year for the first time in my entire adult life kind of gives me hives, but it is what it is. I’ll send double next year!

Last night I had tax class until 9 pm and then I stopped to find new boots. Nothing fabulous, just something that will keep my feet warm and dry because when I came home on Saturday from shopping my feet were wet and it wasn’t even that bad out, just kinda sloppy. I ended up buying something waterproof but they are a bit big (even though I’m really a size 5 I always end up with a 6 because that’s usually the smallest size places carry) so I ordered Uggs sheepskin insoles to put inside. The reviews on them were great so I really hope they do the trick!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results