shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread January 5 through 12

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, guys! Quick fly-by...just got back from the gym and did an hour on the elliptical. I took the day off from weights since I was feeling sore all over! Anyway, we are headed out to do some errands and to get lunch somewhere. Hope everyone is having a fab. Saturday!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone!

I''ve had posting issues this week, so I haven''t been very active here on HL. If the scale doesn''t lie, I''ve lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks! Yippie!

Got a knee problem, preventing me from strenous excercise at the moment. I''m hoping it isn''t a sign of things to come -- i.e. a need for surgery on knee joints. I''ve had arthritis for years, and take all the dietary supplements to help cartiledge/bones. My left knee was especially painful to kneel on in church last Sunday, and then it locked up on me Monday because the joint slipped out of place. Darn near fell on my face! It''s been gamey ever since, but improving everyday.

Sticking with the smaller portions, lighter carbs, lower fat, and higher fiber. I ''feel'' much better. Less tired, less stressed, more alert, less bloated. I''ve never been an overeater, or a snacker. I was gaining weight simply because I''m too old to eat the same way and keep it from accumulating. My hormones have been all over the map the last two years, and we now know that that can trigger cravings for more carbs/fats than we need. I started noticing in the last year, especially since this summer, that if I ate anything, I would blow up like a balloon. I''m not experiencing that now. So, yeah!

Have a great weekend, y''all.
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WELL DONE HOLLY!!!!! That is fantastic progress!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, hopefully it will warm up today but I doubt it. I plan to walk while the sun is out and this evening we are barbecuing burgers and chicken, yum!!! Have a great weekend everyone! Wooo hoo for the weekend friends
9.gif

HOLLY, that is awesome
36.gif
keep up the great work friend!

Hi Lorelei and Marcy!

Rod, yay for Charlie having the week off!

Steph and Tacori yay for the workouts!

Kimi, you will lose it; yay for all your workouts!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, hope it warms up for you.

Rod, hope you and Charlie have a great birthday meal tonight...dessert included, you deserve it my friend!!!

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all!

I have been religious all week with exercising and eating healthy. Day by day I am feeling better. I can''t feel much change in my clothing. I guess I shouldn''t be too hard on myself - it hasn''t even been a full week yet!

I started today to incorporate some weights and ab crunched into my workout. Drinking LOTS of water. I was proud of myself resisting a piece of chocolate offered by Marty last night. Talk about will power.

I am off to go grocery shopping. Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

Lily

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 5:10:21 PM
Author: CdnBlingGal
Hello all!

I have been religious all week with exercising and eating healthy. Day by day I am feeling better. I can''t feel much change in my clothing. I guess I shouldn''t be too hard on myself - it hasn''t even been a full week yet!

I started today to incorporate some weights and ab crunched into my workout. Drinking LOTS of water. I was proud of myself resisting a piece of chocolate offered by Marty last night. Talk about will power.

I am off to go grocery shopping. Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

Lily
Woohoo, CDN! Sounds like you are off to a great start!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Took another walk with Tessa today. Good thing since I am going to eat an unhealthy dinner. Haha. My lower back is KILLING me though. I don''t know what I did but it is really painful.

Sounds like everyone is doing great!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Back from my walk too; must be a nice walk day! hehe Tonight is suppose to be a HUGE FULL MOON!
36.gif
Marcy posted about it in hangout.

We just finished making the burgers and the chicken on the charcoal grill, yum yum!
9.gif

HOLLY, well, my knees bothered me and now that I took some weight off they don't bother me as much so hopefully you will feel some relief losing weight? i don't know though just a thought but again kudos on your weight loss!

ROD, have fun at the palms! Yay!!

TACORI, wooo hooo for your walk; hope your back feels better soon, hopefully you didn't pull anything push the stroller, or maybe close to ttom? sending good back thoughts your way!

STEPH, yay for your gym workout and thanks!

CDnBling (LILY) you are doing awesome!!!!! It may feel slow but slow and steady keeps the weight off so yay for doing great
1.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good afternoon.
35.gif
We slept in late this morning so had BF about 11 at Perkins.Tonight we are going to our company’s holiday party.We spent some time running errands today then Marty went to a friend’s house to play video games.I ran a few more errands and stopped by my hair dressers to make an appointment.I am getting my hair trimmed tomorrow and getting highlights put in it.I bought a frost and tip kit at Target today but since my perm is only about 6 weeks old I decided I’d rather pay to have someone who knows what they are doing take care of my hair.
Rod, I am glad you enjoyed the night with friends last night and sushi.How fun for Charlie to be off for the entire weekend.I hope you have a wonderful dinner at the Palm tonight.Thank you for the congrats for being back to where I was; I told Marty now I am motivated to lose a few more pounds. I am really not trying to lose more weight I just want to be on the load side of where I am than the high side.
Tacori, it’s rough to be motivated to go walking in the cold.I took my camera out today to try the new lens in the park and there were not many people out walking today.The ducks were glad to see me until the figured out I didn’t bring anything for them to eat.Sorry to hear about your back hurting; I hope it gets better soon.
Kimi, rats for the weight not budging; I am sure it will though.Good luck finding a new job.
Steph, yeah for starting out the day at the gym.
Holly, congratulations for losing 4 pounds in the last few weeks.That is awesome.Oh girl I am sorry to hear about your knees.I have degenerative arthritis in my knees and have had both operated on; I hope they feel better soon.It sounds like you are sure eating right.
Hi Lorelei!
Skippy, I hope it did warm up for you today.We are in the 30’s and 40’s but the wind is relentless making it very chilly outside.
CDNBlingGal, no worries about your clothes; you’ll notice them getting loose soon.Yeah for eating right and exercising all week.
Have a great evening.
Marcy

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Quick check in. Today was day #4 of exercise I did my walk/jog routine around the neighborhood. Tomorrow I''ll do walk/jog routine again to complete my 5 days exercise for the week.

Also cannot wait until spring break. I went shopping for ski stuff and can''t wait! The next two months need to fast forward.

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Hey everybody!!

I hope everyone is having a fabulous Saturday! Just wanted to stop in and say hi. I''m dead tired today. Spent all day tutoring kids who need help for our midterms that are next week. Lots of hard work, but really worth it. Got up early and went for run, then got my hair trimmed at the salon (I''m TRYING to grow it another inch hopefully by the wedding ) and then spent all afternoon tutoring. Just got home about an hour ago. So I''m pooped! FI and I are spending a relaxing night at home watching football. I think I''m going to make grilled pork chops and a brown rice and veggie stir fry. YUM!! :) Hopefully tomorrow I can go for a long run in our neighborhood and then hit my favorite yoga class @ the Y in the afternoon.

Tacori-- Yup, we were posting @ the same time. :) So sorry to hear about your back. I hope it feels better soon.
Appletini- Yay for 4 days in a row! You go girl!
ChargerGirl- Good luck with projects this weekend..!
Rod- hope you had a good dinner
Skippy- Your dinner sounds yummy!! Do you marinate the chicken in anything special??
Marcy- I agree with you on the highlights I tried to do it myself once and my hair came out ORANGE!!
Holly- Yay for your progress!!
Kimberly- Sending you good thoughts, best of luck wth the new job search!!!

Have a fabulous night everyone!!
:)ILE

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Sorry I haven''t been keeping up
15.gif
Wanted to check in, sounds like everyone''s doing well
36.gif

After a much too long hiatus, I went to the gym this afternoon. I did 5 minutes on the bike, ran/walked 1 mile, did 15 mins. on the elliptical and did push ups and sit ups. I confess, I don''t like working out but I always feel good afterwards.

I''m off to dinner with a friend. We''re trying a fusion asian restaurant nearby. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great job PANDA
36.gif
it does feel good after a nice workout!

Woo for the workouts ILUVEMERALDS & APPLE!!!!

MARCY, yay for a haircut; I bet it will look great!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......It was just a super nice day. It was extra nice to have Charlie off all day (tomorrow too!). I slept till almot 10 AM (the absolute best treat!). We had coffee with Sakai on our shoulders and watched Saturday morning HGTV (always fun), then we fixed fresh blueberry waffles and sausage for brunch. It was a really good treat. We didn''t have lunch because we had a real breakfast for a change. I had my car washed, then we sat under the oak and enjoyed the most beautiful day you could imagine. It was sunny, about 75, with the most beautiful blue sky you could ask for. They say it''s going to be much cooler tomorrow as a cold front is supposed to come through, so it was nice to be outside in shorts and t-short today. We had a terrific workout at the gym. It''s just nicer when Charlie''s there. We do things we don''t normally do by ourselves, since we can spot each other with free weights. I probably overdid it a bit, but we''re going to take tomorrow off, so I needed to push extra hard. We may go to a movie tomorrow. We''ll see. Dinner at The Palm, was great. I had a couple slices of bread, a jumbo shrimp cocktail, caesar salad, lobster and creamed spinach. Charlie had lobster bisque, salad, crab cakes and creamed spinach. We didn''t have dessert and just opted to stop off at Sbucks on the way home for a cup of decaf. All in all, it was a really nice day.

Tacorie, good for you going for a walk even though it was cold!!

I''m sure youre weight will budge Kimberly. I hope dinner and the movie was good tonight!

YAY for being sore Steph! I''m glad you''re getting great things from the gym. I did enjoy my dinner tonight, but didn''t have any dessert!

Wow Holly........4 pounds in 2 weeks is terrific. I hope your knee feels better soon.

Yay for walking in the cold too Skippy. Yumm to grilled burgers and chicken! Thanks, we had fun at dinner tonight!!

You''re doing great Cdn!! BTW, you don''t have to resist chocolate. It just depends on what kind of chocolate and how much. Dark chocolate is filled with flavonoids, which are actually heart healthy. Several times a week, I have two pieces of Lindt Dark Chocolate (with at least 70% cacao). Two pieces are just 110 calories and it''s good for you!!

I''m glad you got to sleep late this morning too Marcy!! I hope your holiday party was fun tonight!! So how many more pounds are you planning on losing? It is nice to have a whole weekend with Charlie. I don''t think we''ve had a complete weekend together in over 6 months.

WOO HOO for working out 4 days Apple!! I''m sure spring break will come fast enough. For us ''older'' folks here, let''s not wish time to go any faster, OK?!! LOL

Good for you getting up early and going for a run on a weekend morning ILuv............I didn''t know you tutored kids! That''s a wonderful thing for sure!! Thanks for the best wishes for a good dinner, which we definitely had!!

Hey Panda. Yay for going to the gym and for feeling better!

Sleep well everyone. I''ll check in tomorrow night.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all.

Hope you are having a great weekend. Ross and I went into town this afternoon and did some essential grocery shopping. Lots more fresh fruit and veg! We stopped off at the pub for a drink. I stuck to diet coke. We were peckish so ordered some tomato and basil soup with bread. I thought it would be quite low in points. I was expecting a few points for the wholegrain baguette and butter, but the whole meal came to 10.5 points. I was rather shocked. I thought maybe 7 overall. The soup must be loaded with sugar. I could have had a proper meal! The actual wetherspoons soup and roll is listed as a meal on the WW tracker. I was apalled! haha! That''ll teach me. Just goes to show how careful you have to be. Luckily I have 10.5 points left for dinner, so quorn fillets and veggies will only be about 4 or 5 points.

dragonfly411 - I am a teaching assistant in a special school for children with various special needs. The school had increasing numbers of Autistic or Autistic Spectrum Disorder children as well as Downe''s Syndrome, ADHD, Global Delay etc. I work in a class for 7-8 year olds. Most of them are Autistic or ASD. I love it. I actually did go into teacher training back in 2004 to become a qualified primary school teacher but dropped out. I regret that but I had a hard time on the course. I am hoping to do the Higher Level Teaching Assistant qualification this year though, which puts me midway between teaching assistant and teacher. It will mean that I can work as a teacher to cover other teachers. The pay is better too! I may go back to teacher training one day.

IluvEmeralds - I find the tracking really easy at work to be honest. I pack my lunch read the night before and enter it into the tracker in the morning when I have breakfast. I usually have ryvita with light philadelphia, fruit, a cereal bar and a low fat packet of crisps for lunch. The school meals are pretty horrid and they don''t really cater well for us veggies, so it is easier for me to just make my own and monitor what I eat. It''s when I am at home that I have the problem. I have discovered this week that Saturday is my worst day for eating sensibly as I am at home alone and tend to pick random stuff rather than planned meals. I forget to drink too. The tracker is great for helping me t recognise these important things.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all, hubby and I are going to this fun antique place just to poke our heads around and see what there is for fun (sorry they don''t sell jewelry) just furniture and nick nacks. I hope it warms up; yesterday was 45 when I went for my walk. I am off to warm up some burgers with avocado for lunch!

Have a fab Sunday all!

Rod, yay, I am so glad you had a wonderful evening and wooo for Charlie having all week off!!!

MERRY, that has happened to me before with the points, bummer. Hopefully it was yummy!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Sunday kids!

I just realized I haven''t checked in for a few days...

Friday I did 30 mins on the dreadmill, 30 mins on hampster wheel, and 30 flights of stairs.

Yesterday I did a quasi-hard hour on the hampster wheel.

And Today I did a truly hard hour on the hampster wheel AND 30 flights of stairs. Seriously, I felt so good during the last half of my workout today I was tempted to reset the timer and go for another hour. Crazy, I know! I think I must have been fuled by those TWO (not one, but TWO) chocolate martinis I had last night.)
3.gif

Not sure what dinner will be but I hope we''re staying in because I could use a little low cal going on after the weekend I''ve had...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi All!

Holly, congrats on the loss! I have back problems which interfere with exercise from time to time, it can be frustrating! Hope you start feeling better soon.

Marcy and Skippy, my weight is pretty much not budging. There''s not a whole lot I can do but keep on doing what I know works and be okay with the fact that I''m a bit heavier than normal. Perhaps it''s just my winter coat?!

CDN, it sounds like you''re doing fantastic.

Marc and Iloveemeralds, I sub, and held a long term position that ended unexpectedly, so I don''t have to go job hunting, I''m just back to moving from school to school. Not a bad thing, just different, and no work garuanteed, which can be a tiny bit stressful.

Rod we had a great dinner and movie. Glad you enjoyed yours!

I''m taking today off, J is going to watch football, I''m just being lazy. We''re having tacos for dinner.

Happy Sunday all.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I have my first weight in tomorrow morning. I am a little anxious. I really hope it is good news!

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

Just checking in before the work week starts again (UGH!!) Had a busy Sunday, went grocery shopping to buy lots of healthy stuff for this week. Then I headed off to a fitness yoga class, and then did an hour of spinning @ the Y. I think I''m going to be SORE tomorrow but it will totally be worth it! :)

Next week is crazy with midterms @ school for my kids and tutoring every night until @ least 8 so I''m not sure how much I''ll be on here! I''m really going to have to stick to my 5am date with my treadmill and weights in the garage. I hope everyone has a fabulous week in the meantime. I''m off to make some chili or meatloaf I think. (My healthy version of course!) :)

Merry- good luck with the weigh in- I''m sure you''re doing great.

Panda- how was the fusion place?

Skippy- find anything fun @ the antiques store??

DeeJay- Whoa...30 flights of stairs you go girl! and btw- hampster wheel...is that the elliptical?? (Just wondering..) Oh and YUMMMM for chocolate martinis..:)

Have a fabulous Sunday night all...see you in next week''s thread!
:) ILE

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I didn't see anything good at the antiques store. Hubby and I were saying that maybe ebay hurt the antique stores for nick nacks?? Oh well; but we did stop and have gelato which I have not had since summer time; I got the kids size so that was good. Then I thought I had the a great idea of us walking well it is way too cold to walk today; I only did a 20 min walk. The wind was blowing so it made it extra cold; I am glad I got some fresh air though. hehe
emhot.gif

DEE, yay for all the uber workouts! Yum to the martinis; I wonder how you make a chocolate martini? Sounds good.

KIMI, I love lazy Sundays; they are the best, have fun watching the game and yum to tacos!

MERRY, yay for your wi, sending good wi thoughts, I bet you did great!

ILUVEMERALDS, yay for buying healthy food for the week! wow, yoga and spinning, you are in fab shap!!! Hope next week isn't too nuts. Yum to chilli or meatloaf; I love the healthy versions; you really can't tell they are healthy, kudos!
1.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
DH and I walked around the neighborhood for almost an hour so that completes my 5 days of exercise for the week.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
The company holiday party was fun last night.The food was pretty good and there was a good turnout there.They had buffet.I had salad, mashed potatoes (plain), a few slices of roast beef and a dinner roll.I got a glass of wine but it was awful so I didn’t finish it.The free drinks were the cheap stuff.
Today has been hectic.We slept in till about 9.I am working on the last of my 5 loads of laundry, I went grocery shopping, made mini meatloaves and potato wedges for lunch, worked on my class online for spring, I got my hair highlighted and started working on our astronomy club newsletter.I will be glad to go back to work tomorrow – it is less work for me. Since we ate lunch about 2:30 I brought home some frozen yogurt from the mall for our supper / treat tonight. I have enough food left from lunch today for 2 lunches this week. Woo hoo!
Appletini, yeah for the 5th day of exercise this week.Spring break will be here before your know it.Your ski shopping sounds fun.
ILE, you had a very busy Saturday.How nice to help tutor those students.Your supper sounds yummy.I too had Ronald McDonald orange hair once.I used summer blonde on it then dried my hair in the sun; it just kept getting more coppery orange every day.It was horrid.My highlights today turned out a bit more blonde than I’d imagined but I do like it.She did a nice job on it.
Panda, yeah for going to the gym.I hope your Asian dinner was good.
Skippy, she didn’t cut my hair; she thought it was fine to go another month so I just had it highlighted.Rats for not finding a treasure when you were looking at antiques.I wish it would warm up here too.You are a trooper though walking in the cold for 20 minutes.
Rod, the weather sounds marvelous there.Rats for a cold front moving it.It sounds like your dinner last night was really good too.I had my little square of Lindt milk chocolate today and enjoyed it a lot.I am really on maintenance but since I started the holidays on the high side of where I am comfortable I want to not only get back to the low side (2 more pounds) but lose a few extra pounds so maybe 3-5 more pounds is what I am shooting for.It seems like I had more bad days between Thanksgiving through the New Year than normal so I just want to be more structured again.
Merry, rats for eating more points than you thought for lunch.My mom is on WW and has some little books she carries around that shows her points.I don’t know if you can find them online or not.Good luck pursuing the higher level teaching assistant qualifications this year.Glad to hear you find the tracker easy to use.Good luck at your first weigh in tomorrow.
DeeJay, what is in a chocolate martini?
Kimi, you are doing everything you can so I am sure the weight will come off again.I hate it when the scale won’t budge.Hang in there lady!I hope you’ll have plenty of work subbing.
Take care and have a great evening.
Marcy

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
I haven''t forgotten about y''all - I had the flu and then had a busy weekend. Hope everyone is doing well!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy and Marcy, there are probably a bunch of different ways to make a chocolate martini but I like vanilla vodka, godiva dark chocolate liquor and baileys. One of our friends makes these for me and he drizzles the glass with hershey''s syrup before he pours anything else in. Sheer bliss!!!
26.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gecko, I hope you are all better now.

DeeJay, the chocolate martini sounds divine then. Anything with baileys has got to be good.
3.gif

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad to report that according to the scale, which I hope is not lying, I have lost 3.5lbs! I started exercising/dieting Dec 27th but really didn''t kick it into high gear until January 2nd. (Had to get in those last Holiday meals! haha)

I feel better as a whole and I''m really enjoying working out.
1.gif

Keep up the good work ladies! You''re all an inspiration!
9.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey........We had a plain 'ol lazy day today. It was warm and beautiful out this morning, so we had breakfast on the terrace. Lunch was at a terrific place called Pane Rustica, where they bake all their own breads, and bake from scratch virtually ever singgle thing they serve, including home made soups. We had white bean soup (fabulous) and we split a chicken salad sandwich on home made sour dough bread. Then we lounded under the oak and had coffee for a long time, just because it was beautiful outside. We tried to find a movie we both wanted to see and just couldn't get excited about anything out there, so we stopped by the video store and rented "Burn After Reading" from the Cohen brothers. It's really funny. Brad Pitt and Frances MacDormand were just fantastic. Dinner tonight was baked salmon and steamed carrots and brocolli. I'm not ready to start a new work week, but since we didn't win the lottery, I guess I don't have another option........LOL We'll meet for Sushi tomorrow night after work.

Sounds like you're really getting the point system down Merry!! I hope your diligence pays off with a good weigh in tomorrow!

Sorry the antique store didn't have anything of great interest Skippy. I'm glad you enjoyed your gelato and I'm sorry it didn't warm up out there.

Wow for 30 flights of stairs DeeJay!!

Good for you taking a day off too Kimberly. We all deserve one every now and then!!

I agree Iluv.........UGH!! to a new work week! LOL

Woo Hoo for 5 days of exercise Apple!!

I'm glad you had a good time at the company party lastnight Marcy. It sounds like you made good food choices. Cheap wine is never good, so it was a good thing to not drink it and have unnecessary bad calories. Sounds like you had a very busy day.... On the Lindt Chocolate. Dark chocolate is the heart healthy side of chocolate. Next time you're out shopping get some 70% Dark Chocolate instead of milk chocolate, OK?

Well, that's about all I've got. See you in next week's thread......

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inhisarms, congratulations for losing 3.5 pounds.How wonderful to hear you are feeling better and enjoying working out.
Rod, yeah for a lazy day.Your lunch sounds divine.Rats for not winning the lottery.I don’t even buy tickets so I definitely have to go to work tomorrow.I do have some dark Lindt chocolate in the house – that is what Marty likes.It is pretty good too but I am a milk chocolate fan.I only eat a tiny piece when I have one though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results