shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 25th August till 31st August

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha ha, you crack me up Dee. She had TWO BOYS, BLESS HER HEART. What a handful. My two grand-boys keep me hopping. I can''t wait to see their pictures, I bet they are beautiful babies.

Linda

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her text message to me was so cute... she said they were "perfect" and "smooshie." Awwww!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh, I can''t wait to see their pictures. Twins are adorable. I remember when my sister in laws had twins. Both of my SIL had twin boys in the same year. They were adorable, now all 4 of them are 28 years old
14.gif
, they grow too fast.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 11:10:57 AM
Author: Dee*Jay

I do have a SQUAT QUESTION for anyone who want to chime in. I find when I do them with my feet close together I feel it almost exclusively in my quads, but if I do them with my feet far (like even way more than shoulder width) apart I feel them in my butt. (And if I turn my toes out in that postion I feel them in my inner thighs, but that is a different thing.) So, am I missing something? Should I be feeling it in my butt with my feet close together? And the whole concept of trying not to let your knee go over you toe is, well, impossible to me. Do you people possess some sort of magic center of balance that I simply don''t have? How can you do this?
Hi DeeJay!

You''re not missing anything at all -- in my exercise classes the instructors often have us do squats in slightly varying ways (just like you describe ... feet close, feet shoulder-width apart, feet far apart with toes out (plie squat)) to work different areas of the butt and legs.

As far as not letting your knees go past your toes, the lower leg from the ankle to knee is not supposed to move very much. As I''ve been taught in my classes, to do a "proper" squat you bend at the knee and hips to push your butt way back ... like you''re going to sit in a chair ... your chest sort of goes toward your knees, but keeping your head up and back straight. With practice and as the legs get stronger, the upper legs from the knees to hips can get almost parallel with the floor. The weight should be in the heels (my instructors say you should be able to wiggle your toes).

Here''s an annoyingly fit lady showing proper form: YouTubeLinky I''m not so sure about those "hops" at the end, though. One of my instructors does those, and they make my knees sore.

Oh, and thanks from a lurker for the news about Jas''s boys! Cannot wait to hear more from her!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Friends!!! It has been great reading your weight loss or healthy journey's; they are all so inspiring!!
36.gif
36.gif
Welcome to the new people too
35.gif
This thread is hopping!
3.gif
Last nights walk was nice! We need to go earlier because it is getting dark
emmoon.gif
quick!!! Another walk tonight!!!

DJ, thanks for the update on Jas, yay for her and her hubby! I bet her bambino's are adorable!!!

Julianna, I would be too nervous to say even hello to Anderson! LOL

Catch you all laters
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 1:41:02 PM
Author: Linda W
whoo Hoo, I had to pop in here to tell everyone, who knows Jas, she had her twins!!!! Skippy, I hope she will start posting again soon.

Linda
36.gif
I am over the MOON
emmoon.gif
about the twins too Linda!!! I am sure she will be back!!! hehe

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

I''ve done something strange to my stomach, it''s like I''ve overextended my muscles or something, so I''m taking the day off from exercising. And I feel like I''ve been overeating and DH has vowed to make fries for dinner. Oh well, back on the wagon tomorrow, today I''m just going to run with it and pretend it will help make my tummy feel better.

Hooray for the news about Jackie!

K

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/27/2008 2:38:11 PM
Author: turtledazzle

I do have a SQUAT QUESTION for anyone who want to chime in. I find when I do them with my feet close together I feel it almost exclusively in my quads, but if I do them with my feet far (like even way more than shoulder width) apart I feel them in my butt. (And if I turn my toes out in that postion I feel them in my inner thighs, but that is a different thing.) So, am I missing something? Should I be feeling it in my butt with my feet close together? And the whole concept of trying not to let your knee go over you toe is, well, impossible to me. Do you people possess some sort of magic center of balance that I simply don''t have? How can you do this?
Hi DeeJay!

You''re not missing anything at all -- in my exercise classes the instructors often have us do squats in slightly varying ways (just like you describe ... feet close, feet shoulder-width apart, feet far apart with toes out (plie squat)) to work different areas of the butt and legs.

As far as not letting your knees go past your toes, the lower leg from the ankle to knee is not supposed to move very much. As I''ve been taught in my classes, to do a ''proper'' squat you bend at the knee and hips to push your butt way back ... like you''re going to sit in a chair ... your chest sort of goes toward your knees, but keeping your head up and back straight. With practice and as the legs get stronger, the upper legs from the knees to hips can get almost parallel with the floor. The weight should be in the heels (my instructors say you should be able to wiggle your toes).

Here''s an annoyingly fit lady showing proper form: YouTubeLinky I''m not so sure about those ''hops'' at the end, though. One of my instructors does those, and they make my knees sore.

Oh, and thanks from a lurker for the news about Jas''s boys! Cannot wait to hear more from her!
OK, in over analyzing this TO DEATH, this is where my problem lies. I can do it if I angle forward at the hips and my boobs go toward my knees (and at 37 let me assure you that my boobs are indeed creeping toward my knees no matter what postion I''m in
39.gif
), but there is just no way to keep my head up and back straight (unless you mean back straight = not curling over, but it''s ok to *lean* over as long as the spine stays straight). Does that make ANY sense? I don''t know why I have such a mental block on this.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, guys. Well I had a fabulous day today. One of the best I''ve had in weeks actually. It was a beautiful day today and hot so I took Andrew up to the pool and we swam for hours. He met a little boy there and they were playing on the steps, so I took that opportunity to keep swimming up and down past the steps while watching him and really got a fab. workout. Then we went shopping b/c I already made my Christmas list. I saw a few things, but didn''t buy anything yet. I love to do almost all my shopping early and have it done, so I''m sure I will start buying soon. Then after dinner, we all went for a nice walk in the neighborhood. It was a little more exercise, but not much b/c Andrew rode his bike and kept stopping, but it was fun and great to get out in the fresh air and see sunshine and not rain! Tomorrow is Andrew''s first day of school. He is so excited, but nervous for me to leave him. I just read him the book "i always come back" to show him I will be there for him after class is out. Anyway, hope everyone has a great night!

Rod, enjoy your nice weekend with Charlie!

Gecko, great job on down 2.5!

Julianna, thanks for the good wishes. And I agree with you on 90 percent diet thing for me at least. That is really the only thing that works to take the weight off...exercise def. helps to keep it off though and make you feel better!

Lorelei, sorry to hear your tooth troubles are continuing. That has got to be annoying and painful. Hugs!

Dragonfly, you sound like you are doing great on your diet...good job!

Linda, thanks for the news on Jas, that is great!

Apple, good job on the treddie walk today.

Dee, yay for sore abs!

Hi, Skippy. Great job on the walk!

Kimi, no worries about the fries. Hope your stomach is better soon.

SanDiegoLady, good for you for taking some me time....you deserve it girl!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey......

I had a good day at work! I made my 3rd placement today, so things are going really well at the moment. I met Charlie after work at our favorite little diner for dinner. I had a bowl of spicey chicken soup and fish tacos with a side salad. Then we walked over for some FroYo and topped it off with a cup of decaf at Sbucks. I guess I lifted too much weight at the gym last night and my back is a bit sore. A few years ago had I done this, I would have been walking like the hunchback of notre damn, but my core is so much stronger that while I can feel tightness in my lower back, it will pass quickly. I may not workout tomorrow night, just to give my back an extra night off, but I only have to work 1/2 day on Friday, so I''ll workout then instead.

How wonderful to hear about Jas'' twins! I hope she comes back to post soon!

DeeJay, I think you''re feeling what you should be feeling from doing squats in different positions. Our trainer had us do them feet close, spread apart and in-between to work different muscles in your glutes. And no, don''t use a bar to stabilize yourself. It completely defeats the purpose of squats to begin with. Turte offered great perspective!!

YAY for being down 2.5 gecko!! You go.......

Julianna, when you mentioned Hostess Cupcakes it sure brought back memories. I always had weakness for them and for Hostess Fruit Pies. Oh how I love them. I actually saw one the other day and just about fell over when I saw they contain nearly 500 calories, and the fat grams, oh my.........And to think I once at them like they were just a wee little treat. No wonder Rod was once a hefty boy.......

Lorelei, I''m so sorry your toof problems continue. I hope you get it all taken care of soon.

Hey dragon. Good for you getting whooped by the 30 day shred!!

Hey Linda, I hope life''s good with you!!

Hi there Skippy. I''m glad last night''s walk was good!

Hope your stomach feels better Kimberly. I''m sure John''s french fries will do the trick!! LOL

I''m glad you had a nice ME day SDL!!

If anyone deserved a fabulous day, it''s you Steph, so I''m glad it was that nice!!

See you all tomorrow!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rod, glad you had a nice evening with Charlie!!!

Steph, glad you had a lovely day swimming and it was gorgeous out!

Kimi, enjoy your evening w/your sweet DH.

Hi Dee and SDL!

Apple, hope everyone is safe!

Hey Marcy.

Have a great evening all; I spent my evening talking to a dear friend so my walk will happen tomorrow. the Tortoise is back
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
I am excited to know the long weekend is getting closer. I got home from school about 7:30. I brought Marty and me one of the low fat McDonalds ice cream cones. Yummy!
3.gif

Linda, yes people can be so stupid. I do find it entertaining though. Woo hoo for Jas having her twins.
36.gif

Steph, sounds like you have great opportunities to work out when Andrew is at school or on weekends. That would be awesome to sign up for a 5K. Thanks for the nice compliment. I am going to start my Christmas shopping too. I love to pick up things when I see them.
Rod, it sounds like you have been really busy. Glad you are okay. I see another hurricane is brewing. Aak! I am glad you like my pictures, thanks. Congratulations on losing 68 plus pounds plus the incredible transformation of your body. You are awesome! Congratulations on your 3rd placement today.
Geckodani, congratulations for being down 2.5 pounds.
36.gif

Julianna, I love hostess cupcakes but I’ve never tried the orange ones. Pretty much any cupcakes are good.
DeeJay, congratulations for making in to the 140’s!
36.gif

Hi Appletini. Glad you had time for the TM today.
Lorelei, my continued get well wishes to you and your poor teef.
Dragonfly, sounds like you had a wonderful workout this morning. Yippee!
Turtledazzle, LOL at “an annoying fit lady”.
Skippy, glad you had a nice visit with your friend. It is so pretty in the evenings right now I know you’ll be out there walking tomorrow.
Kimi, I hope your tummy feels better soon.
SanDiegoLady, yay for taking time to have a me day. Your deserve it.
Have a great Thursday!
Marcy

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Julianna, you're breakin' my heart here!
39.gif
HOWEVER... I do think I have to agree with you... I've been watching my cals for only a few days now (and NO CHEATING) and I've dropped below 150 for the first time in a LONG time.
YAY, DeeJay, I missed this earlier
36.gif
36.gif

Marcy, yum to the cones!! hehe

Rod, whoooo hooo for your huge weight loss and being Hot Rod Bod!! hehe

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Marcy and Skippy! (But you know I''m jinxed now that I said it, right? The scale will probably read 200 tomorrow just to spite me!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 11:07:13 PM
Thanks Marcy and Skippy! (But you know I'm jinxed now that I said it, right? The scale will probably read 200 tomorrow just to spite me!)
Oh pleeeazeeee, no way woman!
25.gif
2.gif
Keep up the good work
36.gif
36.gif
you rock!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy, thanks again for letting me know about those ice cream cones. Marty likes them too. I used to bring us home Frosty’s or blizzards but they are way to fattening after school.
DeeJay, no way will that evil scale do that to you in the morning! I swear.
I’m off to bed 35 minutes early. Yippee!
I forgot to tell you about someone I ran in to at school tonight. I was in the lap prep room and another adjunct walks in. I have not seen her for over 2 years. I said hi to her and addressed her by her first name and she said hi. Then she asked me if I was the new biology teacher. I said no. I teach astronomy. She gives me the up and down look and doesn’t say anything. So I said we’ve met before. I am Marcy. She said you look like a completely different person. She is probably as overweight as I used to be so when I saw her kind of struggling for something to say I just told her how much I’ve lost and how I did it. She said she’d have to talk to me to find out what I eat. Maybe I inspired her to go for a lifestyle change – time will tell.
TTFN!
35.gif

Marcy

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello strangers! Don''t want you to think I forgot about you guys. This was just a *crazy* summer and I was hardly home let alone had time for the gym. Anyways, I have hit a wall for sure. I am sick and tired of being chubby! I am sick of cringing at my reflection. I still can''t fit in my old clothes which is BEYOND depressing. My baby is almost 10 months. Unfortunately I cannot use her as my excuse anymore. So it is time for changes (even though I don''t want to! *whine*) b/c this IS in my control. I CAN reshape my body (just need to remind myself that). I would love to lose 10-15 lbs by her first b-day. Pretty aggressive goal though. So exercise and diet it is. I have no diet experience and am slightly clueless. But I WILL go to the gym today. I WILL. I WILL.

Hope everyone is doing well and looking great!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Tacori!! You can do it!!!
cheerleader1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lorelei! I have little experience with this so it makes me nervous. I need to find some FAST and EASY low fat recipes.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

My stomach muscles feel better today, so I''ll be working out.

Way to go on the scale, Dee! So awesome for you. I''ve gotta agree with Julianna about so much of my loss being about food. Exercise is great for overall health, but what I eat far outweighs how much I move (I''d say 90/10).

Welcome back, Tacori. In the threads Lorelei posted I''m sure there''s a link but check out www.cookinglight.com for recipes. It''s mostly what DH and I eat and they are usually pretty delicious.

I was supposed to babysit this morning, it was cancelled, so now I have the day to myself. I''m going to exercise, make dinner, get a pedicure, and read my book.

Have a good one, everybody.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 7:57:07 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 8/28/2008 7:55:21 AM

Author: Tacori E-ring

Thanks Lorelei! I have little experience with this so it makes me nervous. I need to find some FAST and EASY low fat recipes.
1.gif

No worries Tacori - here are some threads which might help!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wwt-healthier-recipes-thread-post-your-recipes-here.85010/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/favorite-lighter-recipes.42571/

Thanks! Some of those seem kind of complicated though
41.gif
I need simple, fool proof, FAST recipes.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
hi everyone
35.gif
35.gif

i lurk on this thread all the time for your wonderful inspiration and *virtual* support - but now i am need of some 'real' support or feedback?
i hope you don't feel like i'm just 'using' you - since i don't participate much on weekly threads
3.gif
i'm just very perplexed .. and you are all so helpful :)

a little back story:
in preparation for my wedding last october i got my butt in gear and started watching my diet and working out. i am 5'9" and weighed 156 lb. when i began my journey. thru running and lifting weights 6 days a week, and watching my caloric intake (although not eliminating anything from my diet.. this girl needs her dark chocolate and wine;-) i was able to lose 27 lb. and went from a size 8/10 to a 4. after the wedding i decided i wanted to tone up (since i was happy at my weight) and work more on my core. i also decided to train for a half-marathon which took place in april. i have maintained my weight at 129 for almost a year... now here is where i'm perplexed.

since the half marathon i have cut way back on running (i used to run 3 days a week - mostly hills, with an endurance day on saturday and lifted the other 3 days) - now, i run approx. 3 days a week (1% incline), but only for 30 mins. the other 2 days i lift weights/core.

i recently got on the scale and my weight had gone up approx. 5lb
14.gif
not a huge amount, but enough for me to take a look at my workouts.

my question is this.. do i need to change the intensity of my 30min runs back to hills? can my weight gain be attributed to gain in muscle mass (although, truth be told my pants are a tiny bit more snug then they were back in april)? - or do i need to start doing long runs again on the weekends? but it's really hard to maintain that running schedule - and i like to have my weekends off. work more on diet? or is the new added 5lb just my 'new' weight? i'd like to get back to 129 - because overall everything just 'fits' better at that weight.. and i mentally *feel* better.

i know 5lb. sounds trivial.. but i worked so hard to get down to that size and maintained it for almost a year that now i feel like a loser that it's gone back up... and i really don't want to have a 'whatever' attitude and one day wake up and be 156 again.

thanks for reading my rambling! i really appreciate your help!
1.gif

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 6:24:17 PM

Date: 8/27/2008 2:38:11 PM
Author: turtledazzle

I do have a SQUAT QUESTION for anyone who want to chime in. I find when I do them with my feet close together I feel it almost exclusively in my quads, but if I do them with my feet far (like even way more than shoulder width) apart I feel them in my butt. (And if I turn my toes out in that postion I feel them in my inner thighs, but that is a different thing.) So, am I missing something? Should I be feeling it in my butt with my feet close together? And the whole concept of trying not to let your knee go over you toe is, well, impossible to me. Do you people possess some sort of magic center of balance that I simply don't have? How can you do this?
Hi DeeJay!

You're not missing anything at all -- in my exercise classes the instructors often have us do squats in slightly varying ways (just like you describe ... feet close, feet shoulder-width apart, feet far apart with toes out (plie squat)) to work different areas of the butt and legs.

As far as not letting your knees go past your toes, the lower leg from the ankle to knee is not supposed to move very much. As I've been taught in my classes, to do a 'proper' squat you bend at the knee and hips to push your butt way back ... like you're going to sit in a chair ... your chest sort of goes toward your knees, but keeping your head up and back straight. With practice and as the legs get stronger, the upper legs from the knees to hips can get almost parallel with the floor. The weight should be in the heels (my instructors say you should be able to wiggle your toes).

Here's an annoyingly fit lady showing proper form: YouTubeLinky I'm not so sure about those 'hops' at the end, though. One of my instructors does those, and they make my knees sore.

Oh, and thanks from a lurker for the news about Jas's boys! Cannot wait to hear more from her!
OK, in over analyzing this TO DEATH, this is where my problem lies. I can do it if I angle forward at the hips and my boobs go toward my knees (and at 37 let me assure you that my boobs are indeed creeping toward my knees no matter what postion I'm in
39.gif
), but there is just no way to keep my head up and back straight (unless you mean back straight = not curling over, but it's ok to *lean* over as long as the spine stays straight). Does that make ANY sense? I don't know why I have such a mental block on this.
Hi DeeJay --

What I've highlighted is correct. When I said keep a straight back, I meant not curled (so not arching or humping over -- keeping neutral straight spine). You cannot keep your back straight (i.e. perpendicular) relative to the floor and do the squat, you have to lean over but keep the spine straight. Did you watch the YouTube Link in my previous post -- I *think* that might have clarify. I hope I've helped! Squats are a great lower body exercise!

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
thanks SDL! i really want to believe that it''s all muscle.. but am getting hung up on the ''my pants are tighter'' thing... i should be losing inches off my core, not having more of a muffin top ;-) ughhhhh the dreaded muffin top.. she''s my worst enemy! and she''s always around ;-)

i guess i was wondering if i have to change my routine all together?.. something like spinning in lieu of running? but i feel like i just don''t get the cardio workout from any other activity other than running... machines in lieu of free weights?
i''m stumped!

and i can''t believe i''m about to do this.. but here are some before and after shots... unaltered... egad!
this is at my biggest. i know i''m tall.. but i was also so... soo.. puffy.
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif

fattyvizsla.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
and now ;-) well +5lbs

nowvizsla.jpg

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
vizsla - looks like photos of two different women!

I think the weight gain is from your sudden drop in exercise. though you are still exercising more than the average person, I think your body got used to all that exercise training for the marathon and if you cut quite a bit of it off, you can''t expect your body to continuing burning the same amount of calories with less exercise. I''m guessing you continued eating the same (consuming same amount of calories as before).

that''s just my theory. so most likely your body has to find its new rhythm with the amount of exercising you''re doing now and then you''ll drop the 5lbs again, but I can''t promise. I can understand how you want your weight back down after all that really hard work.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 7:55:21 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
1.gif

Tacori, Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine makes delicious frozen dinner and lunch entrees, they are in your frozen food section. I eat those at times, and just add a salad and a fruit.

Hi everyone
35.gif

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all, I am back from Weight Watchers and I lost 1 lbs for a total of 16 lbs, yay!!!
9.gif
So for a treat I went to bath and Body works to buy myself Fakkai Glossing Cream; I also bought my goddaughter a birthday present since she turns 2 Sept 2. Tonight I will go for a walk! Have a great day all
35.gif

TACORI good to see you here! I just love the Tessa avie! Great job on going to the gym; I second Kimberly on the Cooking Light recipes, also check out Ellie Kreiger of the foodnetworks recipes. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ek/ Appletini and I have had good luck w/her recipes!! You can do it friend! Do you have a Trader Joe's? They have some good low cal foods like low fat spinach pie, boca burgers, prepackaged salads.

KIMBERLY, glad you are feeling better today! Enjoy your workout and pedicure and book! What are you reading
34.gif

MARCY, whooo hooo for low cal ice cream cones, I love those when I need a treat!

VIZSLA, are you eating the same as when you were training for a marathon?? You might cut back a couple hundred calories?? You sound super fit!! Welcome and glad you joined us!!! Awesome on the marathon!! Maybe add more weights? Mara exercised the same but did more weights.

MICHELLE, I love seeing you in this thread!!! You rock, you did walked. Sorry it kept you up, can you go earlier? You can do it!

TURTLE, good to see you!

NOELWR, hello there!!!

LORELEI, hi friend!!

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
wow.. my hunch was right.. you all ARE super nice and supportive
2.gif

to answer your question, yes.. i think i''ve been eating the same amount as when i was training (and to be fair to those *real* marathoners.. it was only 1/2 that i ran ;-)

and bleh.. i was afraid it was going to have to be my diet that i needed to change... as it stands right now i eat a cliff bar and coffee for breakfast - lunch is a bag of frozen mixed veggies - low fat baby bell cheese - wheat crackers - apple or yogurt and h2o - dinner is typically veggies and rice or chicken veggies and a little carb... i really like to try and ''zone'' my meals.. then i''ll have a dark chocolate and if the moods strikes me a glass of wine... i''m having a hard time figuring out what to cut out there.. i know i could probably *not* go out to dinner on the weekends, but i usually try and choose healthy options (salad w/ protein or a vegetarian dish) ...

i was looking at the ''belly pooch'' thread and saw some ideas.. the one that most sparked my interest was the high intensity interval training? anyone try this?

one more picture.. but what i think is so funny is the olympic gold medalist finished in about the same time it took me to run half! LOL!

vizslarunning.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results