shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA question -confused

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

duck

Rough_Rock
Hi,

got a quick question.

In the tutorial, why does it say that most people prefer a rating between 1and 2 as apposed to a sallower stone around 0.5? if excellent is b/w 0-2, dont we want the stone to be as close to 0 as possible?

reason why im asking is b/c im gonna see this stone that socred 0.6 X/X/X/VG, which is a much better rating than the other one i was gonna see which scored 1.6 x/x/vg/vg. Also, this new stone is a AGS000 but falls outside of the white outline (but right in the cener of the grid, which is great). Confused, please help!

Pari

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe Garry will reply to your questions himself. A .6 or a 1.6 will both look very nice to most people''s eyes. I am not at all sure you can tell the difference visually. I might not be able to discern which one has the lower HCA, but I am pretty sure that I''d like the looks of either one.

The HCA and even the AGS000 rating dont'' give anyone a 100% situation, but both are excellent tools for gaining a lot of security in obtaining the best looking type of diamond.

I''d add that more fine diamonds are worn coated with soap film and dirt that make them look worse than fair cut ones that are kept meticulously clean. Nothing quite like a little ultrasonic or a steam cleaning to make even average cut diamonds sparkle.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Merely a novice, I like Dave''s answer, and would add that his last paragraph, coincidentally or not, may pick up on Garry Holloway''s theory that those dirty diamonds may benefit from what is sometimes also a coincidence between a lower score and shallower diamond.

Lots of threads on this question, with more than an average number including comments from me.

Good shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results