shape
carat
color
clarity

Hawaii drops universal child health coverage

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Link

This program lasted all of seven months. People who paid for coverage dropped it so that they could get the healthcare for free. That''s how programs like these usually work, and fail, unfortunately.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
I thought most needy children have health insurance now under SCHIP or Medicaid. Is this incorrect? If so, I don''t know why Hawaii tried to enact their own form of universal health care for children.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 3:06:42 PM
Author: IndyGirl22
I thought most needy children have health insurance now under SCHIP or Medicaid. Is this incorrect? If so, I don't know why Hawaii tried to enact their own form of universal health care for children.
I have no idea either but I must say I'm loving the crickets in this thread! lol!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm be interested in how and why it failed after 7 months when several nations have made it work for at least 50 years.

ETA: You tone of your original post seems happy that it failed. Am I reading it wrong?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2008 2:48:12 PM
Author:luckystar112
like these usually work, and fail, unfortunately.

link?

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 8:42:00 PM
Author: Addy
I''m be interested in how and why it failed after 7 months when several nations have made it work for at least 50 years.

ETA: You tone of your original post seems happy that it failed. Am I reading it wrong?
What about my tone (how do you read tone on the internet, btw?) makes you think that I''m happy about it?

Before I am accused by someone of thinking it''s better for poor children to die of sickness rather than get health coverage (I know it''s coming), here is my point: Why would someone pay for something that they could get for free? From what I understand, the program failed because people dropped their current coverage for the free coverage and it Hawaii couldn''t afford it anymore. And this was only for something like 2000 kids!

I think the state of Maine has a wonderful program available to families (Mainecare)...although I do think they should tighten up their eligibility requirements. Hawaii should look into something like that--granted I''m not familiar enough with Hawaii to know if they do.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Interesting, thanks for posting. If it helps any I didn''t perceive you as excited it failed. *shrug*

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2008 9:25:42 PM
Author: luckystar112

What about my tone (how do you read tone on the internet, btw?) makes you think that I'm happy about it?

You're right, I can't preceive tone. It was the wording about this of system usually failing. Julie put it much better than I could.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 9:25:42 PM
Date: 10/17/2008 8:42:00 PM

Author: Addy

I'm be interested in how and why it failed after 7 months when several nations have made it work for at least 50 years.

What about my tone (how do you read tone on the internet, btw?) makes you think that I'm happy about it?

Before I am accused by someone of thinking it's better for poor children to die of sickness rather than get health coverage (I know it's coming), here is my point: Why would someone pay for something that they could get for free? From what I understand, the program failed because people dropped their current coverage for the free coverage and it Hawaii couldn't afford it anymore. And this was only for something like 2000 kids!

I think the state of Maine has a wonderful program available to families (Mainecare)...although I do think they should tighten up their eligibility requirements. Hawaii should look into something like that--granted I'm not familiar enough with Hawaii to know if they do.

FYI: That wonderful program in Maine you are talking about? Medicaid. Every state is allowed to name/administer their own program, but it's all Medicaid. And every state does have it in some form.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 3:06:42 PM
Author: IndyGirl22
I thought most needy children have health insurance now under SCHIP or Medicaid. Is this incorrect? If so, I don't know why Hawaii tried to enact their own form of universal health care for children.

This is mostly correct... The program in Hawaii is called Quest (Medicaid again) and all children are covered if their parents don't make enough $. But the problem is that there is a "gap" group of kids, kids whose parents can't really access or afford insurance through their employer, but they make too much for Quest. So I believe those kids are who the Hawaii plan was targeting. And it failed because it was implemented poorly, not because it's necessarily a bad idea IMO.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I am well aware that the Mainecare is medicaid, but isn't the eligibility different in each state?
I know that you are a lot more versed in this in me, and so I fully expect you to correct me if I'm wrong. But from what I understand from the website the eligibility for Keiki was

Children age 31 days through 18 years.
Living in the state of Hawaii.
No other medical coverage.
Uninsured for the previous six months.
Not eligible for any other state or federal coverage.

ETA: Ah, okay I get what you're saying now. Apparently the eligibility in Maine is up to 200% of the federal poverty level whereas Hawaii's is 300%...I'm wondering if this is just to help curb the blow of ending this program though.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 1:19:16 AM
I am well aware that the Mainecare is medicaid, but isn''t the eligibility different in each state?

I know that you are a lot more versed in this in me, and so I fully expect you to correct me if I''m wrong. But from what I understand from the website the eligibility for Keiki was

Children age 31 days through 18 years.

Living in the state of Hawaii.

No other medical coverage.

Uninsured for the previous six months.

Not eligible for any other state or federal coverage.

ETA: Ah, okay I get what you''re saying now. Apparently the eligibility in Maine is up to 200% of the federal poverty level whereas Hawaii''s is 300%...I''m wondering if this is just to help curb the blow of ending this program though.

Hawaii''s has been higher for quite a while. And Quest is a different program than Keiki. These programs can and do work well (they are not destined to fail), just look at the Medicaid program that you said was great in Maine. The problem with Keiki was that it was implemented AND designed really poorly, and a poorly implemented/designed program is going to fail no matter how good the intent is.

Other state''s SCHIP and Medicaid programs DO cover all children whose parents can''t afford/access insurance like Keiki was attempting to do, but they do it much better. So these programs can work, just Keiki was done poorly IMO.

Sorry I didn''t mean to get defensive, but I didn''t like that you were implying that the program failed just because it was a universal coverage type of plan for kids...and I''m not even someone who thinks universal coverage is the answer for everyone! But I DO think we need to support universal coverage for kids, they deserve good healthcare AND it''s really an investment. Preventative care pays for itself very easily in avoided medical costs later.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results