shape
carat
color
clarity

Having some buyer''s remorse on an opal/diamond ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

opaluvr

Rough_Rock
You''re all making me feel a lot better about this! :) Thank you!

It''s good to hear that others think that the "open gallery" is OK. I wasn''t sure if the gallery was just "missing" or if it was just a rather cheaper simple way to make a ring...or a "more modern" way. Perhaps I''ve looked at too many rings that have elaborate galleries with "surprise" diamonds, etc.

But yes, I do enjoy it. When I put it on, I can''t keep my eyes off of it. The colors just jump out of the stone at me! It looks other-wordly!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admit I am not very versed on opals, but that does not appear to be a black opal, but some sort of crystal opal. Hopefully someone chimes in that knows more than I do. It is a pretty stone, and I'm unsure if origin affects it's value. I would think a high quality opal is valuable no matter where it comes from. I would be curious to know if a premium is attached to opal which has the Lightening Ridge origin. I hope you enjoy your ring, it is lovely.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I think its beautiful!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know anything about Opals. But I think your stone and ring are just LOVELY!

GREAT colors in the opal and the ring really lets the opal be the star! Bury your buyer''s remorse. Congrats!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That''s a beauty of a ring!

Even if you overpaid I don''t think it was by much, cause you got a nice 18k setting with quite a bit of diamonds and a nice size (probably crystal - jelly ones usually don''t show play of color unless there''s a dark background behind the stone) opal.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s almost impossible to "name" your Opal from your photos but have a look at this link. Flick through the pages and see if there''s one that represents the colour you see - concentrate on the background colour first. Under each photo you''ll see whether they have called it a crysal, black etc etc. From your photos the background looks grey but your description is different so ..................

http://www.internetopals.com/opals/solids/opals-2.htm

Would love to know what you think!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s pretty.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I bet you get $2K worth of compliments on that ring as you wear it.
2.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Not sure about the price, but that''s one gorgeous ring!

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Wear it and enjoy it. When I think about all the money I spend on things that bring me a fraction of the enjoyment my jewels do (new roof, new tiers, a bad meal, my 80th kid''s birthday present...)...you come out a head. You stimulated the economy, you have a lovely ring....go forth and sparkle.

opaluvr

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone for your input!

The site LovingDiamonds pointed out (http://www.internetopals.com/opals/solids/opals-2.htm) has some interesting opals and opal jewelry on it!

Definitely now I know that my ring has a crystal opal. Whether it''s from Australia or Mexico, I have no idea.!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I''m normally not into opals either, but I''ve never seen one quite like yours. WOW!!!
30.gif

I love the swooshes of light and color, and it seems to glow from underneath, in my eyes.

I''m serious, it looks alive.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 11:32:50 PM
Author: opaluvr

The site LovingDiamonds pointed out (http://www.internetopals.com/opals/solids/opals-2.htm) has some interesting opals and opal jewelry on it!

Definitely now I know that my ring has a crystal opal. Whether it's from Australia or Mexico, I have no idea.!
Thats a pretty ring. How many carats of diamonds and what quality are they? The ring itself may be worth at most of the price.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
THat is a gorgeous ring! I can see why you gave in to the impulse. If you had that made you would pay that much just for the setting, I say wear it, enjoy it and soak up the compliments!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 1:29:30 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Date: 12/2/2009 11:32:50 PM
Author: opaluvr

Definitely now I know that my ring has a crystal opal. Whether it's from Australia or Mexico, I have no idea.!
Thats a pretty ring. How many carats of diamonds and what quality are they? The ring itself may be worth at most of the price.
Yeah a nice halo setting with quality diamond melee isn't exactly cheap. Can't say I know a thing about opals, but settings I have shopped for quite a bit. Even a "cheap" halo setting like that wouldn't be that cheap, really.

I think it's really gorgeous, both the opal and the setting itself. I love opals, but would smash one to itty bitty bits if I tried to wear one in a ring.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
I
30.gif
opals and your ring is
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
That is a beautiful opal and ring!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I think that''s a lovely ring and I don''t think you got ripped off. I hope you can wear it often and enjoy it.
1.gif

opaluvr

Rough_Rock
The total diamond weight is 32 points. The opal is 2.5 carats. The setting is 18k white gold.

I got the paperwork from the vendor today. It stated that the opal was from Australia, although it didn''t reference a specific mine or region.

I thought the vendor paperwork would include only a description, but it also included an appraisal. It said that the replacement value is $5,000! That''s way inflated IMO. Maybe jewelers do this on purpose to ensure a good replacement valuation if something happens to the ring? I''m wondering if I should get my own 3rd party appraisal just for my own information.

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know much about opals, but this is definitely a gorgeous ring. Wear it always in good health, Opaluvr
1.gif

I think you don''t need to worry that much. But if you''re really curious, you can go for an extra appraisal. It will definitely make you feel much better.

gnopals

Rough_Rock
Hi opaluvr, the ring is beautiful and in my opinion worth what you''ve paid. The Opal does look a lot like a LR crystal opal and a good size too. I''d estimate the Opal alone to be worth about $300 - $500 from the picture, as a rather rough estimate. I''m looking at one as I type for $200 similar to yours and thats only 1 carat, I won''t link to it because of the rules.

Hope that helps you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results