shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you started your holiday shopping yet?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don’t usually start Christmas shopping until late November but this year I told the kids that their lists were due by Halloween. Well, they came through early and we have managed to get them their top items, that would be Lego sets for the young one and Pokémon sets for the older one. By the way if you don’t have a kid into Pokémon, count your blessings because it is ridiculous what the new sets go for when they come out!

We only buy for our kids and the cousin’s children, so that’s seven all together. We told our kids to make a list of five things they want because once you get past a handful of things it becomes overwhelming and they don’t play with it all anyways.

I know some folks start shopping a lot earlier than this so I’m curious where everyone else is in their holiday shopping?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What with moving, I haven’t even thought about Christmas!

It’ll be relatively easy, as I only have DH, DS and DDIL to buy for this year, although I haven’t given any thought to what to get them yet :shock:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I already started. I usually get the kiddos to give me a list early to allow family members to pick something out for them, and then I pick some of the left over items from the list to be from Santa.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH ordered my son a rechargeable shaver the other day. He has a corded one at the moment. When the package came in
I asked DH if this could wait until Christmas...he said Yes! So indeed, I have started my Xmas shopping!:lol:

Now, if I could just get my DH to order a few things for DD and a few more for DS...I'll be done!;)2

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am one of those weirdos who Christmas shops in the summer when everything is on clearance (this is for extended family though not my kid or husband). I have even purchased things in Jan-Feb for the following Christmas, because sometimes things are marked 75-80% off. :lol: For my husband and child I usually do it around now but I am not on the ball this year. Plus I am not sure what to get either of them.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I have more than half done! I have a lot of fun with it! I enjoy it when I’m not rushing.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I know pretty much what I'm going to get everyone. I'm debating buying it now while things are in stock vs. waiting for Black Friday sales. I think I'll wait and if it sells out, just think of another gift idea...

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm only saying yes, because I ordered something for myself online and decided to get one for my daughter too, and put it away for Christmas. Normally I am a "one holiday at a time" person so don't shop for Christmas until after Thanksgiving, and most years I go to the Christmas markets in Europe in early December and do some shopping there (though not last year or this b/c of Covid). I am going to start earlier this year because of worries about shipping and supplies, but I will still wait until after Halloween. My daughter and the others I shop for are adults so it's not as if they have a wish list that, if not fulfilled, will upset them. I think it's different for folks who shop for the little ones where Christmas and Santa Claus are really exciting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. Not at all. I shop for my nieces and parents (anniversary) and that’s usually it. We are not big gift givers for the holidays except for the kids. I love seeing it through their eyes.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No - only because I know what no one wants yet. I have asked the grandchildren to think about it and let me know. Could be a disappointing year for those that want very specific things. I have picked up some baking items for this year though!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't really buy much for holidays.

I buy for my parents, brother, his partner and my stepchild.

My parents, I usually do practical things they ask for because they have everything they want.

My brother and his partner- they tell me what they want or it's gift cards.

Stepchild- Normally only one or two smaller things. He has sufficient things already and doesn't tend to appreciate what he has. Every year, he has lots of unopened lego sets, unread books, never played games, etc. So, I go through his room every year before his birthday in the fall and put aside what he never even opened to donate to a toy drive for someone that will use them and appreciate them. He doesn't even realize this happens- the items are truly unwanted by him.

I don't exchange gifts with my other half.

I don't do work gifts at all.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to buy gifts for people as I happen across things that make me think of them. Nothing I hate more than having to find a gift under a deadline. So usually, I have much of my Christmas shopping done ahead of time.

But given I haven't gone out as much since Covid hit, I haven't started :( Similar to last year, I probably won't be seeing many people over the holidays which means fewer gift exchanges and more on-line gifts.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My presents are usually homemade edible ones, and I have planned what I am going to make for this year's goodies bag.

When I come across an item that I believe a friend/relative would like, I would buy it and give it to him/her when I see him/her next, rather than to wait until a special occasion.

DK :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
December is very busy for us (anniversary, my birthday, my parents anniversary, then the other holidays)

Its a milestone birthday for me but I've decided to keep it in the pocket. I send my parents money so they can get what they want. They don't want more stuff!

My siblings and I don't buy for each other.

I usually make cookies but my oven is down and who knows when the part will come in :oops2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admire those that start their shopping really early, looking at you @Mreader! I just can’t think about holidays during the summer but it is so smart.

I hope everyone gets what they want/need for the holiday. Maybe we will put our tree up early this year, why not you know?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only exchange gifts with DH.
I used to send gift cards to family in other states, but I stopped doing that.
I don't know yet what to get him, but he likes food, so maybe a gourmet food basket.
We don't spend much.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shop all year long! Whenever I see something for someone I GET it. And then it goes downstairs in the the storage room... and I promptly FORGET it! Around this time every year I have to take stock and see where I'm at on the list and deal with what's left. Some people and easier to shop for and end up with wayyyy too much and then I put it aside for the follow year... but I've found on several occasions that I'm a few years ahead on those people. I try making a list but I'm only about half good at remembering to put stuff on there. It's not a perfect system. :lol:

A bunch of people have sent me notes through my Etsy store with their orders that say things like, I'm buying this for my sister for Christmas and she's going to love it! So I am definitely seeing folks getting things done early. (But then again this is my first year with the store, so maybe this is "normal"?)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I keep reading about toy back ups so I’ve started for the grandkids!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son's birthday is December 12th, and my daughter is January 13th, so I need to be organised! I'm pretty well sorted with the kids, just a couple of laybuys to collect Christmas week. For my parents, brothers and in-laws, I make up big hampers full of goodies. DH and I usually buy furniture or something for the house in lieu of gifts to each other. We're looking at new caravans, so that should sort us for a few Christmases :mrgreen:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yep I have, I have 4 gifts so far...but 2 are birthday gifts, my sisters birthday is 12/21 and my son's is 12/26

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Yes Im mostly finished. Did it earlier this year due to shipping and inventory issues. No littles so I dont have that to worry about!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started this week. I’ve got five little ones to buy for and with talk of possible shortages I figured I had better get this done quickly.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also shop year round hitting sales, close outs, and clearance and buy things I know will make great gifts for the people in my life. I hate last minute, impulsive and overpriced buys. That being said, like DeeJay I buy and forget too. Also, throughout the year, I use the pre bought Xmas goods for bdays if I can’t find appropriate gifts and thus have to replenish the stockpile. Last year ‘s lockdown did not effect the holiday as I had previously stocked upon presents. This year is another matter. By now, I would have most if not all of my shopping done for relatives, friends and family. As I have mostly worked from home I actually got less shopping done ( I blame it on stay at home hubby since he hates to shop with me but does not want to remain at home when I do go out shopping) since I did a lot of shopping on my lunch hour or after work. Currently, I do see less selection at my go-to stores. With two college age girls, costume jewelry, socks, cosmetics, books, candles, and some winter wear was enough to make all happy.(They get the good jewelry on special occasions. ) Quality costume jewelry such as sterling or vermeil pieces are either nonexistent, way overpriced or the quality and selection is lacking. I am not an internet shopper. So this year they will get a bunch of fine chocolates and a check. Boring! Hubby who always says he wants nothing may end up getting his wish. Relatives will get a bottle of their fave booze. Done! But I will keep the hunt going as I do love the hunt and seeing everyone enjoy their gifts. Now what am I going to do with all of those rolls of Xmas wrapping paper I bought on clearance last year?!?!

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
I have no one left to buy for, but I bake highly anticipated cookies as token gifts for friends, coworkers and what little family I have left and actually see at the holidays. I am however busy preparing holiday gifts for others as I organize a large craft market. If you’re worried about supply chain disruption in shops, consider shopping handmade. Most local artisans will be fully stocked up and are hoping to make up for losses during last year’s holiday season.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results