shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you returned diamonds to online dealers?

Willay

Rough_Rock
The wide selection and low prices of online dealers is very appealing to me; however, I also think that having to return the diamond may be a hassle if I don't like it.

For example, Blue Nile suggests returning their diamonds using USPS and insuring the diamond. I found that the USPS will only insure up to $5k. Does that mean if I return a $15k diamond and it gets lost, I lose $10k?

If you have bought and returned diamonds from online dealers would you share your experience with me please?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You return a diamond by USPS Registered Mail which has an insurance limit of $25,000. I've definitely done this several times (with diamonds and other jewelry). It is the safest method to send valuable items.

Willay

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1339627619|3215692 said:
You return a diamond by USPS Registered Mail which has an insurance limit of $25,000. I've definitely done this several times (with diamonds and other jewelry). It is the safest method to send valuable items.

Thank you. Do you remember how much it costs to ship jewelery back that's insured $20-25k?

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I returned to James Allen and GOG (for setting) - each had their own insurance cover it and sent me a mailing label. It was incredibly easy! :)

Edit: both were via Fedex. I put it back in their free boxes, attached the label and sent it off!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many of the vendors here will supply you with a Fedex label and insurance if you want to return their diamond. Some charge for this, some do not.

As you were correctly told, if you use Express mail your can insure for much more than with Priority mail, and with registered mail I believe the limit is $50k, but I could be mistaken since it has been years since I used it.

Wink

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
As the others have already told said, I've found it very easy to ship stones back and forth between vendors. I was always supplied a shipping label and the stone was returned 2nd day Fed Ex and the vendor paid for the shipping and the insurance. If you deal with a reputable vendor than you shouldn't have any problems.

ImmaSquashYou

Rough_Rock
i just returned a diamond last month. diamond and ring was about $6200. insured through registered mail was about $35. You can calculate the cost through USPS website. just select registered mail and select how much you need to insure it by. Also, you WILL need to tape ALL edges with the paper tape. I didn't connect a few edges, and lady at the post office had to tape it up for me. But its pretty easy to return to blue nile. I haven't experienced with any other vendors. But blue nile refunded the money pretty quickly.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The major companies will provide you with a label for the return. I know BGD will. Before you buy just make sure you vendor does that. It's very easy when they do. Totally stress free.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have, and it was either through a FedEx label provided by the vendor, USPS registered, or USPS overnight through the jeweler's account.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Willay|1339628095|3215696 said:

Thank you. Do you remember how much it costs to ship jewelery back that's insured $20-25k?

I can't remember exactly, but it seems like it was close to $50. for an item that expensive.

I do have to suggest, though, that if you buy from a vendor who provides pictures and other images on the stone, you are less likely to have to return. And some of those will provide a return shipping label and charge you around $30.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1339680236|3215980 said:
Willay|1339628095|3215696 said:

I can't remember exactly, but it seems like it was close to $50. for an item that expensive.

I do have to suggest, though, that if you buy from a vendor who provides pictures and other images on the stone, you are less likely to have to return. And some of those will provide a return shipping label and charge you around $30.

Ditto! ASET or Idealscope for rounds.

dyxdyx

Rough_Rock
We recently returned a bluenile diamond. It was recommended on their website to ship back by USPS but we ended up going with Fedex, which was faster (and in my mind more reliable). The shipping including insurance cost around $80 (for a slightly higher fair market value diamond). My fiancee did the shipping so I am not sure what he did exactly but I think the trick was to purchase the insurance separately from shipping so that the package doesn't look suspicious.

Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dyxdyx|1339701266|3216265 said:
We recently returned a bluenile diamond. It was recommended on their website to ship back by USPS but we ended up going with Fedex, which was faster (and in my mind more reliable). The shipping including insurance cost around $80 (for a slightly higher fair market value diamond). My fiancee did the shipping so I am not sure what he did exactly but I think the trick was to purchase the insurance separately from shipping so that the package doesn't look suspicious.

Good luck!

Vendors who send labels get bulk rates on the shipping. The insurance is through their carrier. So typically it's about 40-60 to ship.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1339712044|3216411 said:
dyxdyx|1339701266|3216265 said:

Good luck!

Vendors who send labels get bulk rates on the shipping. The insurance is through their carrier. So typically it's about 40-60 to ship.

Not to mention that our insurance will actually pay. When you ship with Fedex if you read the small print you are only covered for $100 with diamonds. You MUST use a vendors label or purchase supplementary insurance. Fedex loses very few packages, but you do NOT want to be the one who finds out the hard way that while they are happy to collect, they will not pay for some types of items.

Wink

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
I just returned a diamond to Good Old Gold in New York. I live on the west coast, and was trying to find the most reliable, yet affordable way to ship it. When they sent it to me, they shipped it overnight, FedEx.
When I asked about returning it via FedEx here is what they said... (this is a quote from an email to me from GOG)..

"The best and safest way and least expensive way is to go to your
local post office and fully insure /registered and return receipt.
Please secure the diamond in the original ring box or envelope and
place in doubled shipped boxes along with the original cert.

If you want to go with FedEx, I will create you a shipping label and
e-mail it to you. The roundtrip shipping label/and return diamond
shipping fee will be $150.00 which will get deducted from your refund
balance."

I knew they were already going to deduct $50 from my refund because I had to reimburse their shipping cost from when they sent it to me. So basically that meant that to use FedEx would cost an additional $100.
I chose to use USPS Registered mail. It took longer, but it only cost me $45. So it ended up being $95 (total) in shipping costs (across the country and back) to view a diamond in person and realize it wasn't what I wanted.
The second one they sent me is perfect, and I kept the first one long enough so I could compare the 2 side-by-side. I am SO glad I did!! And the shipping cost was worth it to me to now have a diamond that I am totally happy with!

BTW... my stone was insured at $18,000.

Hope this helps.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently returned a diamond halo pendant from BN and we sent it registered insured USPS and it arrived no problem and we received a prompt refund within a week of returning the diamond. I was concerned about sending it through the mail but was assured this was the safest way to send it back. It cost us about $40 to return I think. It is the first piece of jewelry I ever returned and I was concerned there might be a problem but all in all it was an easy transaction.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Weird - because GOG only charged me $30 for the return label on the diamond. Wonder if it's because it was a much cheaper diamond adn the insurance part was cheaper?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over the years I've returned perhaps a dozen diamonds to various online vendors.
When the value is under $25,000 I always use USPS Registered return receipt requested and insisted on the slowest/cheapest choice.
Every time the clerks try to sell me Priority, Overnight, Next Day, Express, Whatever, blah blah blah on my Registered package but that is a scam since Registered stuff all CAN and usually does travel at a snail pace.

I tell my vendor to plan on Registered taking the full 15 days and be pleasantly surprised if it is faster, even if the postal clerk tells me, 'It should arrive in 4 business days". Bah Humbug!!!

Be sure you have written proof of the value you claim such as a recent invoice, receipt, appraisal in case they lose your package.
They don't take your word for it; you must prove value.
You could claim a value of $25,000 and if they lose it and your appraisal is for $1,000 you will get $1,000.
If you have no proof you get ZERO.
They DO trust you that the gem really IS in the box; they don't check.
Your registered package must be wrapped in brown paper and taped with that old fashioned brown paper tape that needs water to make sticky.

When the value has been over $25,000 I have used http://www.malcaamit.com/
They specialize in high security worldwide shipping of high value diamonds.
I don't care to create curious neighbors by Malca Amit's armored truck pulling up to my house so I drive the diamond to one of their locations in a large city.

Ask whether your vendor has a special arrangement with their insurance company and a carrier like UPS or FedEx, which permits the vendor to send you an authorized mailing label that insures it under THEIR contracts.
They may or may not charge you, but it probably will cost less than you shipping it as a private individual.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1339633011|3215747 said:
As the others have already told said, I've found it very easy to ship stones back and forth between vendors. I was always supplied a shipping label and the stone was returned 2nd day Fed Ex and the vendor paid for the shipping and the insurance. If you deal with a reputable vendor than you shouldn't have any problems.

That's sweet they paid for the shipping and insurance. Every time I have returned something, it had to be on my dime.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1339633011|3215747 said:

That's nice and a few of my returns have been "free" with the vendor providing the shipping label on their dime.

But I would not say a vendor requiring me to pay for return shipping makes them not reputable, especially when their websites clearly state the customer pays for return shipping.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results