shape
carat
color
clarity

have you noticed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking at the number of answers each posting generates.

It seems that people readily respond to:

any question about Paraibas
any question about Alexandrites
any question about Spinels
any question about Tsavorites
any question about Demantoids
some questions about Sapphires (unsure)
many questions about Spessartines
any question about colored diamonds

It is easy to predict what is "in" or which way the marked moves just by looking at the number of answers!
What other stones have I missed?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL!
People also ALWAYS post on threads making fun of a stone or design. Everyone loves to pick on the ugly stone!!

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I noticed that too, crasu.

My recent posting of my peridot, sunstone and 4 Peaks ammie got little love here, LOL. Of course, it could be MOI.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's perhaps a logical explanation:

I assume the reason that people respond to a thread is because they feel confident and able to contribute to something. Let's say I start a thread on, say, Hemimorphite or Taaffeite, how many people are going to have experience of those gems and are confident to give an opinion? If I'm asking a question it's generally because I want to hear from those who have had direct experience of a gemstone (not something they've read because I can do that)!

Most people on these boards are looking for the gemstones you've mentioned and most people here have had experience of them so that's why they attract answers.

You've also missed off your list:-

1. Certain popular cuts
2. Anything cut by one of our regular PS vendors
3. Anything by two or three of the favoured Etsy vendors

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I missed the 4 peaks amethyst. This is something I''m very interested in. But I haven''t been on much the past few weeks (school started back up) so I''ve missed a few threads. Don''t think it''s you, though. ;-)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may have something to do with colour preference.
2.gif
Red and green seem the most popular colours right now.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a recent thread on a spinel and a tsavorite (both in the same thread), it got very few comments. They must have been ugly!!
emsmilep.gif
LOL!

I also think that any thread with awesome photography helps too. It's nice to look at eye candy when it's crisp and clear, and the proper color IRL.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 4:30:53 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I had a recent thread on a spinel and a tsavorite (both in the same thread), it got very few comments. They must have been ugly!!
emsmilep.gif
LOL!

I also think that any thread with awesome photography helps too. It''s nice to look at eye candy when it''s crisp and clear, and the proper color IRL.
Oh well, that''s me and Chrono never posting again then!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 4:37:53 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

emsmilep.gif
LOL!

I also think that any thread with awesome photography helps too. It''s nice to look at eye candy when it''s crisp and clear, and the proper color IRL.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
My photos stink too!! However, you and Chrono have some world class gems, so you must get those photography skills in order!!
2.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''ve noticed the same. Rubies and emeralds are red and green, but neither of them get mentioned often either. I guess I''m one of the few that likes them?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m bad about reading and not commenting. Especially if it''s late and I''m tired or I have kids next to me poking me and chanting mommy mommy mommy. Or if I''m at work, I just am usually sneaky enough to read and rarely post.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I like Peridot and Amy. and all other stones. And I try to comment often.

Then again, sometimes I take a break from PS and miss really good threads.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I must have a better camera then!

Going to do a search and see what scholarship has gone here before now re cameras!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 4:37:53 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

emsmilep.gif
LOL!

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

No, that''s why I should post more - then yours and Chrono''s photographs will look better than VOGUE''s.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admit my photography skill isn't the best (most are blurry) and I can barely capture the true colour. Plus didn't I mention I'm on a picture hiatus until 2011? Ah....I'm never posting anymore pictures because my pictures suck big time.
25.gif
Personally, I try to find something nice to say about every stone and piece of jewellery. However, sometimes I do miss one or two inadvertently.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But here is what I wanted to say: by observing the amount of answers I can see what is "in", what will always be "in" and what is on the rise and potentially a good investment. Taaffeite I have read about and saw a couple for sale in Pala. But good-quality one seems to be quite expensive and I do not need bad quality. I am sure it is going to be a "thing'' in the future. Not this year, since there are no threads.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
A lot of less common yet lovely gemstones may not be mentioned or popular here because of it being mainly a collector''s item (too difficult to find, too expensive, too soft to even set or too unknown). A majority of posters prefer gemstones are are affordable and will hold up to daily wear with gentle care.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 9:52:39 PM
Author: crasru
But here is what I wanted to say: by observing the amount of answers I can see what is ''in'', what will always be ''in'' and what is on the rise and potentially a good investment. Taaffeite I have read about and saw a couple for sale in Pala. But good-quality one seems to be quite expensive and I do not need bad quality. I am sure it is going to be a ''thing'' in the future. Not this year, since there are no threads.
Taaffeite is incredibly rare, so it''s not like everyone can go out and buy one, and we start making it the "in" stone on Pricescope. It''s also very pricey in larger sizes.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suck at responding in general to anything right now because real life has gotten WAY out of control lately, but I'm hoping things can calm down so I can: A. post to PS again more regularly, B. respond to emails and C. write my wedding thank you notes. Lol.

I do try to respond to most spinel threads (no mahenge for me because I know squat about them!) but sometimes they do get away from you.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I think everyone has a "wish" list or "to buy" list, and most will have one or two of the stones mentioned on those "lists". So it makes sense that those threads would spark more interest. For example, not everyone has an amethyst on either of those "lists", but just about everyone will be interested in seeing a paraiba someone just picked up.
Sometimes the boards are a bit more quiet too, and people miss good threads.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 5:35:28 PM
Author: IndyLady
I''ve noticed the same. Rubies and emeralds are red and green, but neither of them get mentioned often either. I guess I''m one of the few that likes them?
I think this is partly a question of availability and affordability. While I own a small emerald that I love, I don''t see myself buying a ruby in the near future - there are simply too many gems that are more accessible in terms of price: 500 $ will get me a spectacular tanzanite, tsavorite, tourmaline, or spessartite, or maybe even a nice spinel or small fancy sapphire, but it gets me nowhere in terms of ruby. I''d love to own a stoplight red ruby of excellent clarity - maybe one day, when I''m very rich. ;-) For now, though, my interests revolve around the gems that are actually available to me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re right, I just posted some pictures on my deep green Muzo emerald, but it got very few comments. I think one of the big overriding reasons for that is how it photographs. Taking pictures of that stone is like taking pictures of Heidi Klum, and she ends up looking like Danny DeVito in the photos.
23.gif

Rubies and emeralds are also very very difficult to find in high quality. I think this leads to the "emeralds are ugly" syndrome. Most people have never really seen a fine emerald, so they think that they''re just all ugly, and people just don''t get excited about them. I even saw very ordinary ones at the museum I was at recently. Rubies in fine quality are so expensive that the only ones that most people could afford are tiny. You have to be a millionaire to get anything in substantial size in an unheated, top Burmese ruby.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 9:52:39 PM
Author: crasru
But here is what I wanted to say: by observing the amount of answers I can see what is 'in', what will always be 'in' and what is on the rise and potentially a good investment. Taaffeite I have read about and saw a couple for sale in Pala. But good-quality one seems to be quite expensive and I do not need bad quality. I am sure it is going to be a 'thing' in the future. Not this year, since there are no threads.
I want to disagree if you don't mind?

1. You only see what's "in" on PS because rough becomes available then the favourite vendors here usually get it and we get to see it.

2. Will it always be "in"? No.

3. Potentially a good investment. No No No No No. I can't stress that enough. Gemstones should NOT be bought as an investment. Very few are. If you have some then you're lucky but re-sale will very rarely ever reap rewards and you have to be extremely experienced to know whether the gemstone you've got may ever reach exceptional status!

4. Real collector gemstones are not often represented on here because (a) they're difficult to get hold of (b) not many are interested in them (c) they are usually kept as loose stones rather than being set. Will reading these forums tell you what they are? No. There is the occasional thread where some are mentioned but it's a limited audience as while people are interested in reading about them, these gemstones can be exceptionally expensive and may not have the decorative appeal of some others e.g. Taaffeite, Benitoite, Bixbite. They may be only found in small sizes or highly included or or or or or etc!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, and sphalerite is becoming more expensive, and Hayune is pretty expensive as well. But since I am not even on the doorstep of seriously collecting I am thinking of buying a sphalerite to set it and even to myself it sounds like an idiotic plan. Yet I still want to do it.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 10:26:39 AM

You''re right, I just posted some pictures on my deep green Muzo emerald, but it got very few comments. I think one of the big overriding reasons for that is how it photographs. Taking pictures of that stone is like taking pictures of Heidi Klum, and she ends up looking like Danny DeVito in the photos.
23.gif

Rubies and emeralds are also very very difficult to find in high quality. I think this leads to the ''emeralds are ugly'' syndrome. Most people have never really seen a fine emerald, so they think that they''re just all ugly, and people just don''t get excited about them. I even saw very ordinary ones at the museum I was at recently. Rubies in fine quality are so expensive that the only ones that most people could afford are tiny. You have to be a millionaire to get anything in substantial size in an unheated, top Burmese ruby.

That is great insight TL. Another reason why they might be less popular is because the precision cutters seem to have less rough available, and many PS''er prefer to work with precision cutters. It seems that the finest rubies and emeralds generally have native cuts. I agree that rubies are expensive (hence the ruby I bought recently was only 4.7mm!), so it must also be a question of size versus cost.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results