color
clarity

Have you heard about rolling coal?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry you are having a bad day Wink.

I have a dumb question.

Why are pickup trucks sometimes diesel and other times gas?
In the old days, diesel was less expensive than gas, but I noticed
that it was more when we stopped at the truck stops along the way through ID to Yellowstone.

Kenny, we bought a Hybrid SUV earlier this year because we are too cheap to pay
for expensive gas in CA (more than 30 cents per gal than other states). We also don't need
to do a smog test in CA.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Wink - hugs, hope you feel better soon. We've all had "those" days!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome Wink.

We have a 2002 Ford F350 one ton diesel (last year of the awesome 7.3L) and use it daily also. It is DH's DD and we tow horse trailer, military trailer, cargo trailer, and soon an RV. Those pics of the lifted rigs above are just silly. My DH calls them Compensation Trucks and he has no need for that. And why would we want to waste $ and fuel with a device that just floods the engine with fuel that is unable to burn off? There are dumbasses everywhere on every side.

For us a hybrid would be useless as most of our driving is above 35mph which causes the gas part of the engine to run. They are too damned expensive and those batteries have to be disposed of carefully as they are very toxic. Kind of an oxymoron if you ask me. Gotta watch that vid posted.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1405195126|3712158 said:
Sorry you are having a bad day Wink.

I have a dumb question.

Why are pickup trucks sometimes diesel and other times gas?
In the old days, diesel was less expensive than gas, but I noticed
that it was more when we stopped at the truck stops along the way through ID to Yellowstone.

Kenny, we bought a Hybrid SUV earlier this year because we are too cheap to pay
for expensive gas in CA (more than 30 cents per gal than other states). We also don't need
to do a smog test in CA.

I will answer. The diesel engine has much more torque for towing than the gas engine. It also runs many miles longer than a gas engine, we could get 500,000 miles out of our truck. Fuel mileage is better than a gas engine of equal towing ability. It costs more upfront but is worth it.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
I have several friends that have diesel trucks who tow 5th-wheels or trailers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results