shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you had a physical?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend was amazed that I hadn''t ever had a complete physical exam. I guess it just never occurred to me, being healthy and in my early 30''s. I go to my OBGYN yearly for my annual exam and thought that was enough. My friend was horrified that I didn''t know my glucose and cholesterol levels and told me that she gets a complete physical EVERY year. Then I asked my cousin who is an M.D. and she was like, "Uhhhh, no. Most healthy people under 40 don''t need to have a physical."

It got me curious....how old are you (general age range is fine too, heehee), and have you ever had a physical?

(I ended up getting one and everything checked out fine. It''s nice to have my cholesterol and glucose numbers)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think its good to have a check like you did as a ''baseline'' for the future. no way you''d know what counts are high and/or low for you if you don''t have a record of it somewhere....of course, only one test isn''t going show a pattern for you either. but its better than nothing.

movie zombie

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I''m 25 and was always told I should get a check-up every year. I skipped it a bit in college, and especially post-college when my mom didn''t make appointments for me anymore
2.gif
but now I''ve had two. I don''t think they are as comprehensive as a real "physical" though, but I might be wrong. I know I had to have a physical for my college application and for something else...maybe the program where I spent a summer in Jordan? But I don''t think I''ve ever had a physical proper without it being required of me.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I have, but that''s only because I have a ridiculously rickety body and have more health problems than I can shake a stick at.

I''ll be getting another one before I immigrate to the US. (Living with my sweetie ''for real'', here I come! Yay!)

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I''m 26, and I really don''t have physicals. I don''t remember the last time I had one, I think it was in 2000, when I had to have cataract surgery. I go for asthma appointments, allergy appointments and OB/GYN yearly. I also seem to have to go in for random sprains and pains. And my flu shot.
1.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i always had to have annual physical for work, including spirometry, stress tests, and drug screen.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Im 26, no physicals. Just the optometrist, dentist 2x a year, ob/gyn, endocrinologist.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
No physical, but we''re arranging things for me to get tested for everything under the sun that I should have already have had done! Sounds like fun...NOT!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... I'm almost 27 and I visit my family doctor (who I've seen since I was in middle school) whenever I need a prescription renewed, or have something in particular to discuss... so probably about once a year. But I don't think it's a "physical" per se... they really only do blood pressure, temp, weight... the basics. I'm pretty certain he would tell me if I needed something more done though, like glucose or cholesterol?

Other than that, I see a dentist, eye doctor, dermatologist occasionally... REALLY need to make a gyn appt since it's been several years. I had a tonsillectomy a few years ago and I assume they did some sort of work-up then to make sure I was okay before going under general anesthesia... so I think I'm okay for now, even without knowing my exact cholesterol numbers!
31.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I usally try to get a physical every 2 years, but my OB/GYN will run all the bloodwork for me each year if I ask. It''s just an extra step while I''m already there and they send me my numbers. It''s definitely good to keep up with that stuff, but a healthy person doesn''t need to make a huge effort to do it. My BF hasn''t been to the dr. in 5 years and I just get so annoyed about that. That whole stereotype about men not going to the dr. totally applies to him.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Tawn is this for your immigration physical?

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I just turned 34 and haven''t really had a true physical, but with the three pregnancies and a life insurance physical within the last 7 years, I''ve had all of those things checked out many times. When I went to a primary care person when I was 31, she said, "See you when you''re 40".

But I do agree with the baseline thing. My in-laws are anti-doctor, and hadn''t gone for decades. But six years ago my FIL had fatigue and an elevated white blood cell count, and they told him it could be pre-leukemia, or nothing...they didn''t have any blood tests of his to know if this was a new development, an old one....so he had to wait 6 months for another draw to see if there was change. Everything ended up being fine, but a physical every year or two could have saved the family the horrible six month wait of wondering if he had cancer.

Glad it all checked out, Kristydarling!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I''m 31 and see my family doc every 1-1.5y for my annual health exam (I''m in Canada). Mostly I go just to get my blood pressure checked and to get my pap done.

There''s not a lot of evidence out there to support tons of testing (see http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/pocketgd.pdf if you''re really interested - it''s long!). Since I don''t drink much and don''t smoke, I think all I really need to have done are my BP and my pap. I should probably get my cholesterol levels checked every few years, but that''s only due to a family history of hypertension, high cholesterol, and heart conduction problems. I don''t have high blood pressure or high cholesterol, so the evidence says I don''t need my glucose checked...

Interesting question though! I think your cousin is right, aside from the fact that everyone should be counselled against smoking and drinking to excess, and should have their blood pressure checked yearly from age 18 on.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I just turned 35 in April. Until last May, never had a physical. I go to my OB/GYN regularly and with 2 pregnancies in the last 5 years, had lots of bloodwork. Until last May...during a routine chest x-ray (no symptoms, just preventative due to some medications that I take) they found a tumor in my chest the size of my fist. Had to have a thoracotomy (sp?) and it turned out (thankfully) to be benign, but I will now get a physical every year. Even my doctors were surprised at my age to find that! Just goes to show that YOU NEVER KNOW!!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh no girlrocks! good to hear you''re ok!

25, no physicals. Just the optometrist, dentist & ob/gyn

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Annually for the last five years; bloodwork every two years, since my cholesterol is very stable. Mammography annually (family hx of breast cancer) for the last ten years.

cheers--Sharon

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
My father (biological- long story) and my grandmother (on his side) both died from complications due to diabetes. My mom''s mom (Mema) also has diabetes. My mom''s dad (Pappa) had hypoglycemia and so does my aunt and cousin. I have a physical every year to check my blood for irregular sugars, low/high thyroid, and general cholesterol and blood pressure check ups. I''m only 26, but I want to be aware of my body. I also get regular gyno visits, dentist visits and eye exams. I don''t wear glasses and am never sick. It just pays to pay attention and make sure a doctor is as well.

My Pappa had colon cancer when he was 40. He survived, and lived to be 79 years old, but now I get to look forward to those exams when I am 35- I feel your pain SanDiegoLady! NOT looking forward to that.

If you don''t get a physical every year, try every other year. You can never be too careful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results