shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever purchased lots?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve gone to a couple of gem sites and have been tempted to buy a lot of 4-6 stones, etc. I totally understand the quality is up in the air but sometimes I get tempted...

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Where are you considering purchasing from? Any links?

If you''re purchasing a suite in which they more or less ''match'' and you have a project idea in mind, I''d go for it.

Personally, I''ve purchased a couple of lots before but only ended up setting gems from one parcel. They ended up being used as more of an educational tool than anything else.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only once and it was meh.... but I wanted to bezel set a sterling silver bracelet and one that was original for me so its ok (I just started the project so we shall see)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes the stones in the lot aren’t the same measurement, different shapes and the quality is usually lacking. I know sometimes a person might get lucky but more often that likely, it’s not a good deal. It’s just too risky for me so I stick to single stone purchases or at most, a matched pair.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
No links or lots in particular. I was just cruising some sites and saw some lots of garnets and sapphires and they were cheap. I don''t have lots of knowledge on what is good or bad about stones so I was wondering if I did happen to buy a lot, would I really be disappointed, etc. I mean, I could see if they had inclusions or were shaped oddly, etc. The pics are so small you really don''t see them. I thought it would be fun to buy and inexpensive lot and see what comes - kind of like a grab bag!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
selling in lots usually means the quality is a little lacking..if the stones were real good they would be sold individually..or so i would think..more for your money is the name of the parcel game

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Am Guy posted, many of the lots I''ve seen are the odds and ends that are not saleable as individual stones where one would usually be able to sell for more.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Cheap sapphires= probably BE treated.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What size stones were they? A lot of .10 ct''s would be normal, but a lot of 2 ct''s would be a little suspect.

--Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results