shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever metled down platinum and started over

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Have you had any platinum jewelery melted down and started again?? I have two diamond bands that I want to get rid of wonder if it is worth it to have them melted down and start over????

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
my amateur opnion: i think what they do is sell it for scrap, it gets tested and thrown into a pot with other matching scrap and resold for new. i could be wrong.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/10/2006 12:17:01 PM
Author:woobug02
Have you had any platinum jewelery melted down and started again?? I have two diamond bands that I want to get rid of wonder if it is worth it to have them melted down and start over????
Hi WOObug02:

It all depends on who the Platinumsmith is. Some Platinumsmith''s do not like to use metals which they are not 100% sure of the purity and also are weary of other characteristics being present in the Metal which might have a serious effect in the overall casting of the new piece/ring.

I reluctantly got Mark Morell to do this for me. I paid him to make a custom platinum engagement ring for Regina which was beautiful. It was replacing a D''Vatche Platinum X-prong Ring which had been ruined when a jeweler who resized it, did not know what he was doing.

In addition to the engagement ring, Morrell made a matching platinum band to sit against the custom solitaire ring he already fabricated from the D''Vatche Band. I knew and he knew the D''Vatche band was stamped PT950. To be sure not to sacrifice his own quality in workmanship, Morrell agreed to fabricate the band, but would not stamp it PT950 or put his trademarked "MWM" name on it just in the slim chance the purity of the D''Vatche ring had been compromised.
37.gif

Long Story Short...Morrell did this for me...But I think a lot of Platinumsmiths are not in the practice of doing it because of the different aspects of fabricating/casting the metal along with the possible long term effects of craftmanship with a ring stamped with their name on it.
35.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here''s the initial stages when the ring was fabricated to give you an idea of how the old platinum D''Vatche melted into the accompanying band looked next to the custom platinum solitaire that Mark Fabricated
35.gif

headshot.jpg

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
oh my that is beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results