shape
carat
color
clarity

have no clue what to do with the setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cc garnet, I shall find the link to the thread. Can not bezel it because it is a color-changer; do not want to LOGR it because I like change of colors. I have a nice diamond setting but it is WG and I like YG. Any ideas?
Kismet helped me last time.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cc-garnet-from-finewater.134592/

Sorry for the cr...not so artful pictures. I bought a tripod and it seems to help.

I liked Freke's setting from ETSY but I think that leaves might distract attention from the stone in my case. I liked Innerkitten's spessartite ring, too. The one I liked most I unfortunately can not reproduce here. I think it is very expensive, though.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Link.

I''m new to setting things, but it''s a very nice stone :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Can you post a photo of the setting? If it''s plain white gold (like traditional solitaires), you can add yellow gold details onto the shank, like some scrolls made from gold wire or have your jeweller solder some gold balls onto it in some pattern, which is called granulation (don''t know if it could be done, just guessing). Neither of those ideas will give you a solid yellow gold piece, but you''ll at least get a bicolored one, and IMO that''s better than plating.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Personally, I don''t see why not bezel a color changer. As usual, a bezel may darken the stone, but it shouldn''t affect the colour change itself. Unless the stone is already very dark, which would be a no-no for any bezel.

Mr ma re - in true granulation, the little balls are not solder on, but rather fused on. By coating a piece with copper (either mixed in diluted hide glue or by plating in an old acid bath), the fusion temperature in the places where the balls touch is lowered slightly, which allows the bond without the balls colapsing (and also allows for a large number of melted pieces by beginners
2.gif
)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 6:08:08 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain

Mr ma re - in true granulation, the little balls are not solder on, but rather fused on. By coating a piece with copper (either mixed in diluted hide glue or by plating in an old acid bath), the fusion temperature in the places where the balls touch is lowered slightly, which allows the bond without the balls colapsing (and also allows for a large number of melted pieces by beginners
2.gif
)
Thnx for the reminder, I always forget about that
1.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ma re, the problem is, I find most settings in books and I am unsure if I can reproduce them without theis authors'' permission - in fact, I am almost positive I can not. What I did find out, though, is that sometimes it is easier to go through the original designer even if he is expensive because he already has the settings and it costs less to set the stone in a pre-existing piece. I thiought Nehama was expensive, but for the quality of his gold and granulations it would be cheaper to go through him. For this piece, however, I chose a different designer - if he returns my email.

About returning emails - I once sent an email to Beaujoux Extraordinaire. I wanted them to set my spessartite. I received it several weeks after it had been set, and they said they worked only with their own stones. A very polite email, though, and I am keeping this company on my list because the pieces they make are unique.

BTW, has anyone seen the book with reproductions of wedding rings? I bought it at Amazon. Some of them are amazing, some hilarious, but in general, the book is pretty interesting.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here is the answer: I can not post pictures from books. I called one of the designers featured in Renee Newman''s book - I yet have to find out his prices for a mere setting but his representative got extremely concerned when I said I got the name from the book. I am sure Renee asked permission to reproduce pictures - she made notes "reproduced with permission of Andrew Sarosi", for example, but this guy got extremely anxious. I do not see where the problem is - without the book, I won''t tell the designer from a fly on a wall. But apparently, there may be problems with posting photos.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2010 1:34:12 AM
Author:crasru
My cc garnet, I shall find the link to the thread. Can not bezel it because it is a color-changer; do not want to LOGR it because I like change of colors. I have a nice diamond setting but it is WG and I like YG. Any ideas?
Kismet helped me last time.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cc-garnet-from-finewater.134592/

Sorry for the cr...not so artful pictures. I bought a tripod and it seems to help.

I liked Freke''s setting from ETSY but I think that leaves might distract attention from the stone in my case. I liked Innerkitten''s spessartite ring, too. The one I liked most I unfortunately can not reproduce here. I think it is very expensive, though.
Crasru - if the stone isn''t too dark there''s no reason why you can''t bezel it. Try cupping you fingers around the stone to make a sort of bezel and walk into different lighting sources to see if it affects the colour change.

Why don''t you want an LOGR? Not sure what you mean?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't found a LOGR that would suit my idea. I want 6 gold prongs and no diamonds around it. I wish I could show you what I like. Come to think of it, I can post a link.

Something like this

http://www.trisko2.com/modules.php?mod=Pages&page_id=18&album_31_numToDisplay=1&album_31_numToStart=9&#Ladies%20Rings

Or this

http://www.trisko2.com/modules.php?mod=Pages&page_id=18&album_31_numToDisplay=1&album_31_numToStart=6&#Ladies%20Rings

He has a lot of stuff available but I do not know his prices. Probably expensive but if he already has the settings it may be easier.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the Lark jewelry books. The Masters series (Gold and gemstones), Brilliance and Wedding rings are my favourites. The pieces are very contemporary and a lot fall into the conceptual art category, but they are worth many hours of drooling.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh ok, now I understand why you don''t want an LOGR.

Links fixed

http://www.trisko2.com/modules.php?mod=Pages&page_id=18&album_31_numToDisplay=1&album_31_numToStart=9&#Ladies%20Rings

http://www.trisko2.com/modules.php?mod=Pages&page_id=18&album_31_numToDisplay=1&album_31_numToStart=6&#Ladies%20Rings

Do you have any good benchmen/jewellers in your area you could approach? Most will be happy to replicate a setting (especially if you make small tweaks to the original design)

The first one would have to be custom made for your stone I would think but it''s quite open at the sides so won''t darken your stone like a traditional bezel setting would. The second one will keep a gemstone very exposed - are you careful with your jewellery? If not, then you''d be better of with the one in the first link because the stone is more protected.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2010 9:33:16 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Oh ok, now I understand why you don''t want an LOGR.

Links fixed

Do you have any good benchmen/jewellers in your area you could approach? Most will be happy to replicate a setting (especially if you make small tweaks to the original design)

The first one would have to be custom made for your stone I would think but it''s quite open at the sides so won''t darken your stone like a traditional bezel setting would. The second one will keep a gemstone very exposed - are you careful with your jewellery? If not, then you''d be better of with the one in the first link because the stone is more protected.
I looked through many books - they replicate each other''s designs, I don''t know who first got the inspiration. I agree that the first one works best. I just looked at the prices of finished items - they are sort of OK, although on the higher side but since they have ready-made settings in fact in may cost cheaper because a local jeweler has to start from a scratch.

Anyhow, I bought the books on rings and designers and can call many people and look at their prices. Surprizingly, some of well-known names have decent prices while other ones have used their popularity to inflate them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD and Crasru,
Both URLs are identical and not only that, they brought up a blank page for me.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2010 3:51:32 PM
Author: Chrono
LD and Crasru,
Both URLs are identical and not only that, they brought up a blank page for me.
Yes and it is funny because I was viewing them an hour ago. I sent this guy, Mr. Trisko''s representative, a second e-mail asking him to contact me as soon as he could because I had other people I planned to talk to. I wonder if it is his answer (LOL).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, the page is blank, but if you click on "Trisko for women" it brings on the rings I am talking about. I think I mentioned Nr 2 and Nr 9 on that page.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They''re working for me. They are different. One has a 6& and the other a 9&. How strange!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picture from first link:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picture from second link:

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
They're working for me, too, and they're really interesting. I can see what you're after. There was someone here who recently had a garnet (I think) set by an etsy artist who done somewhat modern designs, with angles like what you're looking at. I'm going to hunt around to see if I can find it...

ETA: in terms of others who do that kind of work, do PMGART or OceanLily strike your fancy?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stranger still, both links work for me now.
20.gif

Ok, on to the settings. The first one is very unique but possibly very high off the finger too, but like LD, I like that it is quite open. The second is very exposed though so you''d have to be more careful with it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re right Novel! Weren''t they the ones that looked very angular and industrial looking? If I recall somebody had bought from the Etsy seller as well.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2010 5:14:16 PM
Author: Novel
They''re working for me, too, and they''re really interesting. I can see what you''re after. There was someone here who recently had a garnet (I think) set by an etsy artist who done somewhat modern designs, with angles like what you''re looking at. I''m going to hunt around to see if I can find it...
It will be great if you find his name.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I just updated my earlier post with two names (you guys posted fast!). I think the second was who Arcadian had been looking at and I know people on here have used PMGart before. Also, Crasru, if you like Freke''s ring with the leaves, Patrick Irla does other work, too, look here.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very interesting. I yet have to learn how to contact etsy sellers (could not find "conversation" link anywhere) but I think I could use some of the settings which are less bulky and less expensive. Some of them are more wearable but they surely are interesting. I wonder how much less it will be if I supply the stone. Let me inform you of the results.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Crasru, where it says

"oceanlilystudio''s info
rating:
no feedback
contact oceanlilystudio
"
use Contact Oceanlilystudio, but you might need to be signed in to do it.

LD, its from Arcadian''s thread here.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those rings are very unique looking and I think they will work well with a CC. I hope you can find someone to do a similar setting for you.

I thought we had this discussion before about my CC Spinel and it was decided that a CC shouldn''t be bezeled cause it might limit the CC. Not because of darkening the stone.

Is my memory faulty? Well yeah, but I mean about this topic.
20.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2010 6:16:42 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Those rings are very unique looking and I think they will work well with a CC. I hope you can find someone to do a similar setting for you.

I thought we had this discussion before about my CC Spinel and it was decided that a CC shouldn't be bezeled cause it might limit the CC. Not because of darkening the stone.

20.gif
Yes, I remember one of our experts advising me not to bezel the garnet. And since the evening color is dark-purple it makes perfect sense. I remember her saying that CC-ers needed light accessing them to fully show CC effect.

So far, none of these two guys have returned my email. I wonder why it takes people a while to answer? Some people answer in 5 minutes - obviously they carry a blackberry. It takes others up to several weeks. And it is not direclty linked to designer's reputation - it just seems that some people are more entrepreneurial.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought we had this discussion before about my CC Spinel and it was decided that a CC shouldn''t be bezeled cause it might limit the CC. Not because of darkening the stone.

20.gif
No your memory isn''t faulty. Typically if you bezel a cc stone, you will potentially limit the amount of light and therefore the cc of the gemstone may not appear as strong as it was unset. CC stones react to light so the best thing is to have a setting where it can get as much light as possible and then you''re more likely to see the strongest change in both directions - if you have a gem that is a dark blue that shifts to a dark purple, the colours are very similar and this may be one instance where I''d think very carefully about bezelling. If the stone is light in saturation to begin with and there''s a huge shift in colour then it probably isn''t such an issue. In all honesty (like everything else) it''s best to see the gemstone and experiment with it first by cupping it between your fingers and then moving between light sources.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2010 9:52:56 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

20.gif
No your memory isn''t faulty. Typically if you bezel a cc stone, you will potentially limit the amount of light and therefore the cc of the gemstone may not appear as strong as it was unset. CC stones react to light so the best thing is to have a setting where it can get as much light as possible and then you''re more likely to see the strongest change in both directions - if you have a gem that is a dark blue that shifts to a dark purple, the colours are very similar and this may be one instance where I''d think very carefully about bezelling. If the stone is light in saturation to begin with and there''s a huge shift in colour then it probably isn''t such an issue. In all honesty (like everything else) it''s best to see the gemstone and experiment with it first by cupping it between your fingers and then moving between light sources.
Thanks Crasru and LD! My CC Spinel does the blue to purple thing so that''s why it''s a no no to bezel it. Don''t want to limit the light going into it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results