shape
carat
color
clarity

Have i paid to much

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamondgeeza

Rough_Rock
I recently bought a diamond ring from a company called Shimansky in South Africa, It is a new cut that they have patented called "My Girl" the ring is 0.5570 cts, Clarity is SI2, the colour is I. the ring cost (19,980 S.A Rand) (£1380 UK Pounds) ($2796 US Dollars).
Have i paid to much, what do you think???

Length/Width L:4.70mm W:4.69mm L/W: 1.00
Total dep 3.14mm 67.0%
Table 3.42mm 72.9%
Crown Ang 36.2 8.1%
Pavil Ang 39.3
Pavil crown Hqt 53.9%
Girdle 6.1% (2.3%-8.3%

Diamondgeeza

Rough_Rock
Yes it is in an 18ct white gold setting, the cut is simular to a princess i beleive

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless the special cut and a basic setting is worth $1400 to you, yes unfortunately you overpaid. This often happens with branded diamonds, so it just depends on whether the branded cut is worth it to you or not...

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A half carat stone, set into a mounting as a finished product would cost about $3000.-or more where I live, even in I color and SI2 clarity. Everything''s gotten very expensive. You''ve chosen a .55pt stone and one of the settings in those pictures? You got a good deal.

That "My Girl" cut is similiar to Lucida diamonds. Princess cuts with clipped corners.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/13/2007 7:45:34 AM
Author: gemgirl
A half carat stone, set into a mounting as a finished product would cost about $3000.-or more where I live, even in I color and SI2 clarity. Everything''s gotten very expensive. You''ve chosen a .55pt stone and one of the settings in those pictures? You got a good deal.

That ''My Girl'' cut is similiar to Lucida diamonds. Princess cuts with clipped corners.
this would be a similar diamond for a lot cheaper
22.gif
http://www.whiteflash.com/xfactor/X-Factor-cut-diamond-38.htm#
with your budget you could have gotten something like this http://www.whiteflash.com/xfactor/X-Factor-cut-diamond-41.htm#

but if your price includes your setting, you might not have gotten such a bad deal. It might have been more expensive to buy a diamond from the US and pay the taxes to take it out of the country (not sure on that
33.gif
)

suzi

Shiny_Rock
Here''s what I think...

If you love the ring, and are happy with your purchase, you didn''t pay too much. One thing I''ve learned is that there is always going to be a "better deal" deal somewhere if you look hard enough. Sometimes there is a lot to be said for just getting what you like and feeling happy with it.

I checked out the link you posted for the brand of diamond. That cut looks gorgeous! If you picked one of the rings in the advertisements, then you did good! Enjoy!
5.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything is more expensive where I live.......

I didn''t buy my ring as a finished product either. I bought my stone loose from my guy Ray Elsey (love that man!) at Tradeshop and saved a bundle. Then I had my jeweler pour me a mounting and set it with exactly the quality of diamonds that I wanted.

We''re talking about two different things here. He paid $2796 for the finished product. He bought a "ring". Alot of people don''t buy their stones loose. They wouldn''t know how to go about doing it. When a stone is already mounted, there''s a perceived value to the finished product. On top of that, and to make matters worse, the stone/ring is branded. Cha-ching!

Come on over to the North Shore of Long Island and I guarantee that any guy who walked into any reputable privately owned jewelry store could spend $4,000 to $5,000 for a finished ring with .56 pts. It''s sad, but true
40.gif
But it''s so great to live here in so many other ways!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2007 7:12:09 PM
Everything is more expensive where I live.......

I didn''t buy my ring as a finished product either. I bought my stone loose from my guy Ray Elsey (love that man!) at Tradeshop and saved a bundle. Then I had my jeweler pour me a mounting and set it with exactly the quality of diamonds that I wanted.

We''re talking about two different things here. He paid $2796 for the finished product. He bought a ''ring''. Alot of people don''t buy their stones loose. They wouldn''t know how to go about doing it. When a stone is already mounted, there''s a perceived value to the finished product. On top of that, and to make matters worse, the stone/ring is branded. Cha-ching!

Come on over to the North Shore of Long Island and I guarantee that any guy who walked into any reputable privately owned jewelry store could spend $4,000 to $5,000 for a finished ring with .56 pts. It''s sad, but true
40.gif
But it''s so great to live here in so many other ways!

If I lived on Long Island I would take a mosey on over to Good Old Gold and NOT pay $5,000 for a half carat ring myself.
2.gif
Just because there are many people getting ripped off where you live doesn''t answer the OP''s question. Yes, he could have been ripped off more. But he ALSO could have paid less by shopping around.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just came home from Fortunoff not two hours ago. (I bought myself a lovely diamond bracelet from the hubby for Christmas. LOVE will-call!) Anyway......... here''s a good example of the price of things where I am. Yes, this ring is Ritani and yes it''s platinum, so let''s subtract what? Three thousand for that? Look at the price for a half a carat! $8,995.- Gulp............... got a gun? Nuts!

I cut and pasted the picture too. I wonder why it didn''t show up?

Square Princess-Cut Diamond Ring, Platinum
From the designer collection by Ritani, a beautiful platinum engagement ring with a square, princess-cut center diamond surrounded by pave diamond accents totalling .50 carat. Center diamond grading, I-SI1; accent diamonds grading, H/I-SI1/SI2. sku (076100247)

Need help finding the perfect engagement ring?
Click here for our Diamond Buyer''s Survival Guide.

Item Name(s) Our Low Qty
Square Princess-Cut Diamond Ring, Platinum SKU(076100247) $8,995.00

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2007 7:19:00 PM
I just came home from Fortunoff not two hours ago. (I bought myself a lovely diamond bracelet from the hubby for Christmas. LOVE will-call!) Anyway......... here''s a good example of the price of things where I am. Yes, this ring is Ritani and yes it''s platinum, so let''s subtract what? Three thousand for that? Look at the price for a half a carat! $8,995.- Gulp............... got a gun? Nuts!

I cut and pasted the picture too. I wonder why it didn''t show up?

From the designer collection by Ritani, a beautiful platinum engagement ring with a square, princess-cut center diamond surrounded by pave diamond accents totalling .50 carat. Center diamond grading, I-SI1; accent diamonds grading, H/I-SI1/SI2. sku (076100247)

Click here for our Diamond Buyer''s Survival Guide.

Item Name(s) Our Low Qty

I don''t doubt that some stores are charging these prices gemgirl, I am not trying to dispute you on that. All I am saying is that just because some stores are charging that much doesn''t mean EVERYONE is.

Based on your description of that Ritani, I think that is my ring. And mine, with a .81 G VS2 GIA center stone, in platinum, was about $4400. In NYC. So all I am saying is that with a little research it IS possible to get better deals...

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My princess cut is 1.01 ctw, SI2, I color, 14K, we paid around $3200 for it about 5 years ago...so it does sound kind of pricey to me...but heck I dont know anything lol
20.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I just wanna chime in and say that the cut is beautiful, but if you are still within your return period I would return the stone. The cut looks a lot like Whiteflash's "X-Factor" and you could most likely get it at a way better price.

Edit: Oops. It's already been pointed out. Sorry!

spaceworm

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/13/2007 7:24:25 PM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 9/13/2007 7:19:00 PM

I just came home from Fortunoff not two hours ago. (I bought myself a lovely diamond bracelet from the hubby for Christmas. LOVE will-call!) Anyway......... here's a good example of the price of things where I am. Yes, this ring is Ritani and yes it's platinum, so let's subtract what? Three thousand for that? Look at the price for a half a carat! $8,995.- Gulp............... got a gun? Nuts!

I cut and pasted the picture too. I wonder why it didn't show up?

Click here for our Diamond Buyer's Survival Guide.

Item Name(s) Our Low Qty

I don't doubt that some stores are charging these prices gemgirl, I am not trying to dispute you on that. All I am saying is that just because some stores are charging that much doesn't mean EVERYONE is.

Based on your description of that Ritani, I think that is my ring. And mine, with a .81 G VS2 GIA center stone, in platinum, was about $4400. In NYC. So all I am saying is that with a little research it IS possible to get better deals...

I believe this is the link to the ring gemgirl mentions... That Ritani is the Halo version, which I believe is a bit more expensive. Its possible but hard to get the ritani endless love w/o halo for under 2k -setting only. It is beautiful though
3.gif

http://www.fortunoff.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=076100247&index=31&corp%5Fgift=0&dept%5Fid=1060417

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results