shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone noticed how emerald-cut diamond rings are getting more wide and short?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
Hi , my name''s Sara and I''m new on the forums.
35.gif

Has anyone noticed how emerald-cuts are getting wide and short? I don''t want them to be thin , but I think of a "true" emerald cut as being long and not too wide.

A lot of the emerald-cut diamonds that I''m seeing now are looking more like princess cuts.

Does anyone know what I''m talking about?
40.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, people's tastes have changed over time. 1.7 used to be the favoured ratio, now it is considered long. 1.4 to 1.5 is now considered a medium ratio. I see a trend headed towards a 1.3 ratio soon.

There is now also a square emerald cut which mimics an asscher cut. Is this what you are referring to?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 5:24:26 AM
Author:Coloratura
Hi , my name's Sara and I'm new on the forums.
35.gif

Has anyone noticed how emerald-cuts are getting wide and short? I don't want them to be thin , but I think of a 'true' emerald cut as being long and not too wide.

A lot of the emerald-cut diamonds that I'm seeing now are looking more like princess cuts.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
40.gif
Yeah, but I am not into trends... I like all of them :) My cushion is considered long at 1.26 but it's a very short oval and a very short emerald LOL I think I'm right in the best of all worlds there! Mine is basically one and a quarter.... but I think one and a third (1.33:1) is a very nice visual combo. One and a half (1.50:1) is as long as I'd go in everything except maybe marquise and even then not much longer. I don't like under 1:10 either though... except in princess and round.

ETA: Hi Sara!
35.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like fat emeralds! Probably just because I like square stones in general... maybe that''s why I have a square one, HA!
9.gif

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono ,

I have some pictures to show the differences I''m referring to , but I can''t seem to upload them in any form.
33.gif

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
Hi Cehrabehra ,

Is your name Sara too?

I actually have some pics of rings that demonstrate what I''m talking about , but I can''t seem to upload them. I''ve tried and tried but they just won''t load.
33.gif

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
Hi Musey ,

The more squat diamonds are beautiful too.
1.gif

I''m just curious why I''m seeing less and less of the traditional proportions?

I''d like it if all the cuts and sizes were accessible.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea what are the ratios on these but the picture shows the traditional thin long ones and the short squat ones.
6545Ecsm.JPG

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say I like the first two diamonds in the length to width ratio. I just think in a ring they appeasing aesthetically than a squarer shape.

But then again my dream ring is a 3ct emerald in a simple Leon setting. A girl can dream

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results