shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone have this simple 6-prong setting from WF?

Zitong

Rough_Rock
Dear All,
I am interested in this 6-prong setting. Platinum $675
http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/gold_details.aspx?ItemCode=ST6PW&CategID=5

This one is very nice , but the platinum price is $1275, 18K white gold price is $775, the platinum price is over my budget.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/classic-tiffany-style-knife-edge_1137.htm

I want to get a platinum setting. Has anyone have the first setting? From side view, does the prong looks
thick and high? Thank you.

How do you think for the first setting?

Zitong

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one has a traditional peg head which is pretty common and can be ordered out of most mountings catalogues. It is on the bulky side. The second one has WF''s nicer head.

As far as Tiffany type solitaires go, I think Brian & Lesley have the nicest ring with the most attractive head. It''s not thick at all, and it''s sculpted. It can be found here :
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5336

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, maybe I'm just completely blind, but the knife edge settings from both BGD and WF look nearly identical to me.

Either way - I'd try to understand what is more important to you. Is it the fact that the setting will be platinum, or that the setting will look more graceful?

I have to agree with Gemgirl - the Knife Edge Tiffany (from both WF and BGD) is much more graceful than the plain 6 prong, so if you're not concerned with the metal, I'd look into white gold.

Zitong

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for reply. I agree the tiffany style knife edge setting looks beautiful.

My concern is : if it''s 18K, we need go to re-Rhodium each 12 to 18 months. Too much work
10.gif

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I had the WF six-prong in WG for a couple of years before my reset. When I first received the setting, I hated it but it warmed up to me over time. The head was very, very low but the prongs were generic and hard looking. My biggest complaint would be the knife-edge.... I found it uncomfortable to wear in the beginning. I love the look of a six-prong but would opt for the second WF option if at all possible. Does the setting have to be in platinum? I actually prefer white gold because it looks whiter and can be easily restored.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
just to chime in, I have a 6-prong peg head (sounds like peg leg) and I''ve been very happy.....

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 2:27:58 PM
Author: Zitong
Thank you all for reply. I agree the tiffany style knife edge setting looks beautiful.

My concern is : if it''s 18K, we need go to re-Rhodium each 12 to 18 months. Too much work
10.gif
Zitong, just to clarfiy, not everyone reacts the same to white gold. And not all white gold is created equal.

I have a 14k WG engagement ring from WF that I have worn daily for about 4.5 years now, and I''ve never needed it re-Rhodiom plated. They sell 18k for their stock settings now, which IIRC, is a palladium alloy that retains that white look for longer, and should not suffer from yellowing due to nickel allergies.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 2:27:58 PM
Author: Zitong

My concern is : if it's 18K, we need go to re-Rhodium each 12 to 18 months. Too much work
10.gif

Not everyone reacts the same. Nor are all alloys the same. I have had plated white gold that I have never had to plate.

You can also get a quote for making it with palladium as the alloy - Au/Pd is a lot more gray-white than yellow-white. It should not be much more than the standard and definitely not as much as platinum. I have unplated white gold with palladium alloy, and it is not yellow AT all. I think WF still automatically plates theirs but you can ask them not to.

But it is also just personal preference. Some people prefer gold (plated or not) over platinum (like me), others prefer platinum over gold, and so on.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Hi zitong. I personally prefer the tiffany style knife-edge setting.

All my rings are in 18kt WG and I love how white and shiny they look. First time I had to re-plate my ring was after 3 years of 24/7 wear when it started getting a bit yellow on the underside. Although then I wasn''t ''obsessed'' with jewellery and PS, so now I`d probably replate every 18-24 months.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the first setting you posted. I got mine from BGD and I am pretty sure they are identical. I find the setting to be comfortable but the head sits up rather high. I asked that my stone be set as low as possible but its still high.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results