shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone gone from a RB to a fancy shape?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I did a search on this subject and I couldn''t find a thread dedicated to it, probably because not a lot of people have done it!

I was just wondering if anyone either has gone from a round to a fancy shape, or when they were considering shapes started out with a round and wound up with a fancy.

I realize the light return in fancies isn''t near what it is for ideal cut rounds, so there must be some other intrisnic factor that draws people to the fancy shapes.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on this.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Pebbles. A while back I bought a 2 ct pear as I always liked the shape and thought they were more unusual than rounds, plus might look a bit bigger. It is beautiful, more firey than brilliant and I love it, but really prefer a round for performance, I just love the sparkle of a round. They all have their various merits I think, especially now the better cut qualities for fancies are emerging. I have always liked pears and to me they have a different appeal to a round, but I would probably in preference choose a round over a pear if I was choosing again. then again, I have always loved emerald cuts too.....
41.gif
I guess it depends on what they wearer values in a diamond, the classic charm and clean lines of the EC, the bling of the round, the more unusual pear and marquise.

I know my favourites are

Round
Emerald Cut
Pear

In that order, personally I wouldn't choose a Princess or Radiant for example, couldn't tell you why, they just don't appeal to me as much, however some have fab examples of those shapes here, just not what I would choose for me.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
hi Pebbles,

I had a RB for 10 yrs, and maybe for the last 3-4 I''ve been jonesin'' for a princess cut. I just made a purchase of a 2 ct princess....dont have it yet, the setting has to be ordered....hopefully by the end of the month I should have my upgrade!

so, I cant tell you for sure....but like I''ve said, I''ve just been drawn to the princess cut for years now......

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Well, I did not start with a round....I started with a fancy (EC) and I really dont ever see myself switching to another shape. I have ALWAYS loved EC''s and I plan on upgrading to a 2ct + in a few years. I just love them, no other shape (especially RB''S) appeal to me. I dont know why. I can appreciate their beauty when others wear them, but I would not want one for myself...

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
I started out with a .89 round, went to a 1.13 princess, then went back to a 1.01 well cut round. I decied whenever I noticed brilliance in peoples diamonds, it was always the rounds. I love the round. In the future I plan on mabey an asscher or cushion for a right hand ring though.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I always wanted a RB but when it came time to look for rings 7 years ago I was drawn to the marquise. Now I am the proud owner of a RB (it''s being appraised at the moment). I can''t wait to wear it. I love my marquise because my husband did such an amazing job picking it out by himself however nothing performs like a RB and if I was choosing again 7 years ago I would have gone with the RB hands down. I think the money that we were spending then wasn''t going to get us a very big stone so that drew me to the fancy shapes namely the marquise. I have a ''chunky'' marquise that looks like a 1ct but is only .81ct. The most we would have been able to afford for a RB was maybe just over .5 ct and that looked so small on my hand at the time. Plus knowing what I know now it was so poorly cut that it actually was probably facing up smaller than .5ct.
Anyway, fancies are great! I will alternate wearing my RB and marquise. My husband doesn''t want me to just stick his pick in the drawer lol. Good luck. What fancy shape interests you most?

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the thoughts.
1.gif

Small -- not to hijack my own thread, but I was reading TierHog''s thread and saw that your little guy isn''t feeling too well. I hope he (and you!) are able to get some sleep tonight. If you haven''t already, try alternating the Tylenol and Motrin. If he does have an ear infection, you can also try the infant decongestant nose drops. It won''t cure the infection, but may give him some relief by breaking up some of the fluid in his head. I have two toddlers of my own and they are 13 months apart so I know what you are going through! And I so want a third one right now! Are you in Chicago or the ''burbs? Damn! I wish we had this PM system back!

Anyway, I am really drawn to the princess shape. I have a 1ct ideal round that I love.....however, I have been through 4 different settings and cannot for the life of me find one that I am happy with for more than a month! Before I bought the round I had debated long and hard between a round and a princess...and the only reason why I didn''t go with the princess is b/c they did not have any ideal parameters for them at the time. I have always loved fancy shaped solitaires; there is something about them that is just so elegant and unique, and I don''t get that feeling from round solitaires (no offense to anyone out there). I mean, I LOVE the fire and brilliance you get from the rounds, and I would hate to give that up by getting a fancy, but I feel as though I am never going to truly be happy with a round since I can''t find a great setting for it. And trust me, I have been looking for years for a setting!

So I am not sure if I should just keep my round in the setting is it now and hope *someday* I will find a setting I truly adore....or, if I should take a leap of faith and just get a fancy.

Any additional thoughts are welcome. For the record, the two jewelers that I went to this week looking at settings thought I was absolutely nuts for considering trading in a round for a princess.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Awwww...thank you so much for thinking of me and for the advice. I''ll see how tonight goes and maybe I''ll try the nose drops...we have some but I''ve not used them yet. My little guy is feeling a bit better but last night was definitely rough! He was up most of the night...I think I ended at 5am with 1 hour of sleep and my husband had about 3...and now my husband is sick to boot...uuuggghhh!!! His fever broke around then so when I woke up with a baby who was sleeping very, very still I about jumped out of my skin because I thought something was wrong. He had finally been able to rest since his fever was gone. He''s a bit restless tonight as well but has been sleeping for a few hours now so my fingers are crossed that he is going to make it through the night.
Wow...13 mos apart and I thought my 15 mos were bad LOL!
We live in the south burbs. Very close to the Indiana line. Are you somewhere close?

I love the princess cuts. The only thing I don''t love about them is that they appear small. My friend has a beautiful, beautiful 1.5ct princess. It''s HUGE looking. I know her husband paid ALOT of money for it (he got ripped off at the retail jewelers LOL) but it''s really clear and very white. I''m not sure of the specs but it''s a beauty!
The only thing I can say about waiting is that I''ve not been ''in love'' with my marquise for a long time. It''s special to me because my husband picked it out but aside from that I know that my new RB will get worn so much more. I even got a new setting which I like alot but it''s still not the ring I''d love to have. I''d say if you''ve searched and searched and cannot find the ''right'' setting maybe it''s time to think about getting a princess. Do you have to do a trade in? I mean obviously it saves money but that would be hard I think.
Let me know how it goes. I''ll be interested to see what you choose!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi Pebbles,

When I first read the title of this thread and saw your name, I said, "Oh! What''s Pebbles up to now?"
2.gif

Any other fancy shapes you''re into besides Princesses? Asscher or Marquise perhaps?

What about those yummy hearts and arrows square cuts? Link

W2W

Rough_Rock
Hi Pebbles!

I started out knowing that I prefer a squarish solitaire. After seeing some terrible radiants with no brialliance, I became discouraged and at the same time obsessed with finding the best cut, sparkliest stone out there which led me to the RB. After looking for about a month and finding some really nice ones (and driving my future fi crazy) i realized that the rounds for an ering just didn''t capture me. Then I saw a squarish cushion and fell in love. The brilliance, the squarish shape, the high crown and big chunky flashes of light made me smile inside
36.gif
. That''s what we''re going with.

Another point to consider, I''ve found that rounds are more expensive so that even though squares can look smaller for carat weight, you can buy more. We were looking at 1.5 carat rounds and can look up to 2.25 cts in the cushion because they can be cheaper. On their face, both weights will probably look the same size (the cushions I like are cut deeply).

I think you have to go with your heart and your gut. Of course all rings are special because the are given to us by the man we love. But I also want my ering be a compliment to my style. I can see myself loving the cushion for years to come. I really don''t care whether or not a diamond cut will always be "in style." It''s more important that that my ering suits me. I love cushions because they have a subtle elegance, they are timeless and in my search I''ve realized that no two are really alike.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results