shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone bought from Aston Estate Jewelers in New Hampshire?

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Was wondering if anyone has done business with them and what your experience was like?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seem legit. Prices seem fair.
I would check what, if any, their return policy is. There isn’t one stated on the website.
I would also ask on what basis they state their diamond size, colour and clarity grades. Also testing for coloured gemstones.
With vintage and antique jewellery its more common to not have any lab reports but diamond prices are based on the 4 C so not knowing how accurate their stated grading is makes it difficult to be sure about value for money.
With coloured gemstones it matters. Lab created gemstones have been around over 100 years so being old doesn’t mean natural necessarily and/or only heat treatment, Also, people can and do replace gemstones in old jewellery.

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Seem legit. Prices seem fair.
I would check what, if any, their return policy is. There isn’t one stated on the website.
I would also ask on what basis they state their diamond size, colour and clarity grades. Also testing for coloured gemstones.
With vintage and antique jewellery its more common to not have any lab reports but diamond prices are based on the 4 C so not knowing how accurate their stated grading is makes it difficult to be sure about value for money.
With coloured gemstones it matters. Lab created gemstones have been around over 100 years so being old doesn’t mean natural necessarily and/or only heat treatment, Also, people can and do replace gemstones in old jewellery.

I asked what certifications and appraisals they provide for their diamond rings specifically. They do in house appraisals, so, I mean that's nice that they have that ability. A lot of jewelers do, but in anyone's experience, is that super accurate, or is it a bit of a conflict of interest for a jeweler to be appraising the jewelry they are trying to sell for a certain amount?

Also, the return policy is very tight. They will not return layaway payments, only give store credit. Full payments will be refunded, minus shipping, as long as you initiate a return within 3 days of receiving the product, and have it shipped within 7 days. having it shipped within 7 days, no problem. Deciding in 3 days is kind of sucky, because what if ones wants an appraisal done by another jeweler, who isn't going to be biased? I live in a rural area, have one jeweler within an hour drive, and have to make an appointment for an appraisal.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be frustrated that their return policy is not states on their company website. However, Aston Estate Jewelry also sells on RubyLane. RubyLane's default return policy is: 3 days to advise vendor of intent to return, 3 days for vendor to acknowledge your return request, then 3 days for you to actually ship it back. If it were me, I'd buy through RubyLane where there is a posted return policy.

You probably already know, the only appraiser who wouldn't be biased is an independent appraiser ... a jeweler who sells his/her own wares cannot be considered objective.

In case it is helpful, here's the PS List of Appraisers: https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

Depending on price of item you are interested in, perhaps you could arrange to pay a deposit and have vendor direct-ship it to your chosen professional appraiser with understanding you will purchase it if appraiser confirms item is as described (or better). Appraiser expense to be borne by you regardless of outcome. Your deposit to be fully refundable should appraisal reveal item does not match vendor description and you decide against purchase on that basis.

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
I would be frustrated that their return policy is not states on their company website. However, Aston Estate Jewelry also sells on RubyLane. RubyLane's default return policy is: 3 days to advise vendor of intent to return, 3 days for vendor to acknowledge your return request, then 3 days for you to actually ship it back. If it were me, I'd buy through RubyLane where there is a posted return policy.

You probably already know, the only appraiser who wouldn't be biased is an independent appraiser ... a jeweler who sells his/her own wares cannot be considered objective.

In case it is helpful, here's the PS List of Appraisers: https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

Depending on price of item you are interested in, perhaps you could arrange to pay a deposit and have vendor direct-ship it to your chosen professional appraiser with understanding you will purchase it if appraiser confirms item is as described (or better). Appraiser expense to be borne by you regardless of outcome. Your deposit to be fully refundable should appraisal reveal item does not match vendor description and you decide against purchase on that basis.

That is a brilliant idea! Thank you for this.

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Well, overall impression is they could be good, but there is no follow through, so I moved on to a different vendor. They must not be hungry for business. I asked to see a portfolio of works done, as I was discussing a custom project with them, and they said they would send me pictures a couple of times, but then never did.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results