shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anybody used Sheer Cover?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I am having a couple problems with my skin lately, namely some adult zits and under eye circles.
14.gif

I keep thinking about ordering Sheer Cover as the ads seem really convincing !
I already use quite expensive make up (Lancome, MAC etc) so am not sure how I feel about a product that much cheaper..
Do any of you ladies use it or recommend it?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Wow, really, no-one? lol..

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I have never tried it but a lot of people in the shopping section swear by Bare Minerals. Its the same things and I have heard some nice things about it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 12:21:00 PM
Author: ~*Alexis*~
I have never tried it but a lot of people in the shopping section swear by Bare Minerals. Its the same things and I have heard some nice things about it.
Thankyou Alexis for the reply, perhaps I should''ve posted over there..
cheers!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love mineral makeup and have tried Sheer Cover, Bare Minerals, Prescriptives, Everyday Minerals and Fresh Minerals (Costco). I actually preferred Bare Minerals over Sheer Cover, but only slightly. All are great in one way or another. But my favorite of them all is actually the one I got from Costco - Fresh Minerals. But all are comparable. I have a tricky skin tone to match (1/2 Indian, 1/2 Czech), so that''s the main problem I had with Sheer Cover - I just couldn''t get the color tone right and it always felt more opaque than Bare Minerals. I found Everyday Minerals to be too sheer (they offer several coverage options, I had just tried the regular one, not the heavier one).

Overall, though, the Fresh Minerals from Costco had the best and most convenient applicator and fewest "steps" to a nice finished look. I really love it and the medium toned color, by sheer (pardon the pun) coincidence is just perfect.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 1:11:12 AM
Author: ericad
I love mineral makeup and have tried Sheer Cover, Bare Minerals, Prescriptives, Everyday Minerals and Fresh Minerals (Costco). I actually preferred Bare Minerals over Sheer Cover, but only slightly. All are great in one way or another. But my favorite of them all is actually the one I got from Costco - Fresh Minerals. But all are comparable. I have a tricky skin tone to match (1/2 Indian, 1/2 Czech), so that''s the main problem I had with Sheer Cover - I just couldn''t get the color tone right and it always felt more opaque than Bare Minerals. I found Everyday Minerals to be too sheer (they offer several coverage options, I had just tried the regular one, not the heavier one).

Overall, though, the Fresh Minerals from Costco had the best and most convenient applicator and fewest ''steps'' to a nice finished look. I really love it and the medium toned color, by sheer (pardon the pun) coincidence is just perfect.
Thats great info, thanks Erica !
I''m not in the US, so most likely will have to get one of the ones available on info-mercials, either Sheer cover or I also think Bare Minerals..
What you''ve bought up is a good point though, how do you decide what colour is right for you without a consultation?

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I may be wrong, but I think I remember hearing that once you buy sheer cover from the infomercial they keep sending you new products and charging your card.

Wait....found it
Here ya go

I think I''d go with bare minerals if you can swing it!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 1:02:56 AM
Author: luckystar112
I may be wrong, but I think I remember hearing that once you buy sheer cover from the infomercial they keep sending you new products and charging your card.

Wait....found it
Here ya go

hey lucky, cheers for the heads up - although I think all you need to do is ask not be in their "club".
It does sound as if bare minerals is more popular though, I''m having a look to see if there''s someone who sells it here.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
AJ heaps of stores stock bare Minerals here including Myer.
I find it far to dry for me but hey your much younger than me and could just be the ticket!

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 1:48:11 AM
Author: arjunajane

Wait....found it

Here ya go

hey lucky, cheers for the heads up - although I think all you need to do is ask not be in their ''club''.

It does sound as if bare minerals is more popular though, I''m having a look to see if there''s someone who sells it here.

Hi AJ,

My Mum rang up about the sheer cover and they told her she had to authorise the ongoing payments and then recontact them to unsubscribe. The warning bells went off and she told them to stick it
1.gif
Could be a bit like a gym membership where you can cancel anytime according to the sales pitch but just about the only valid excuse to break the contract is death if you actually want to stop.

Can''t help you on the effectiveness of the product unfortunately
7.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 1:59:28 AM
Author: Pieface

Date: 10/7/2008 1:48:11 AM

Wait....found it

Here ya go

I think I'd go with bare minerals if you can swing it!

hey lucky, cheers for the heads up - although I think all you need to do is ask not be in their 'club'.

It does sound as if bare minerals is more popular though, I'm having a look to see if there's someone who sells it here.

Hi AJ,

My Mum rang up about the sheer cover and they told her she had to authorise the ongoing payments and then recontact them to unsubscribe. The warning bells went off and she told them to stick it
1.gif
Could be a bit like a gym membership where you can cancel anytime according to the sales pitch but just about the only valid excuse to break the contract is death if you actually want to stop.

Can't help you on the effectiveness of the product unfortunately
7.gif
Really? Hrrmmm..sure does sound not worth it.
Cheers for the advice, sounds like I will steer away from that product.
I wonder how such a big company gets away with peeving off so many people all the time..?

And I hear ya about the gym membership, lol, don't even go there!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 1:50:52 AM
Author: katebar
AJ heaps of stores stock bare Minerals here including Myer.
I find it far to dry for me but hey your much younger than me and could just be the ticket!
Hey Kate, cheers for the reply. I haven't seen it yet, just the mineral stuff by Natio, Maybelline etc.
I will ask in Myer and DJ's tomorrow.
What type of skin do you have, is it typically dry? (if you don't mind sharing of course)..

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I have been loyal to Bare Minerals for 4 years, and I used to be the type who switched from brand to brand. I think it''s a little more expensive than some of the other brands, but you get what you pay for. I''ve tried some of the drugstore brands, but none of them are even close to Bare Minerals.

If you buy the starter kit for $60, it comes with tons of powders & brushes, and actually turns out to be a very good deal.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have used Bare Minerals for about 2 years now. I have tried a bunch of other brands, but kept coming back to Bare Minerals. I kept trying others because I don't have anywhere near me that sells Bare Minerals, and I have to remember to order it from Sephora. I'm bad to forget until I have nothing left!

The absolute worst one I tried (drugstore and other) was Neutrogena. I had high hopes for it, but it ended up being really bad on my skin.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
ugh! I'm still using it (Sheer Coverage) because I don't want to waste my money. It works pretty well, though I don't think it was that great for dark circles under the eyes. The billing department is what really ticked me off. I wish I had more time to talk about it, but it's a really long story. I'll try to write more tomorrow.

Overall, I do not think it was worth the money (or the headache!)

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock

Wait....found it

Here ya go

That''s exactly what happened to me. Even after I sent it back, they were still billing me! Terrible mess...do not recommend.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much vespergirl, deegee and idream for your help - now I really want bare minerals! I hope I can find it here..

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 1:37:18 AM
Thanks so much vespergirl, deegee and idream for your help - now I really want bare minerals! I hope I can find it here..
You can always order it from the bare escentuals website (they have great kits) or from sephora.com, if you can''t find it in your area. The starter kits come with two different foundation colors, so one of them will probably suit you. The kits come in light, medium, tan, or dark, so they have a few to choose from. Just as a tip, I wear Medium Beige from the Medium kit, and I am Caucasian, Mediterranean heritage, with brown hair and brown eyes. Since I am sort of olive-skinned, I had originally ordered tan, but it was much too dark for me - I think that tan is probably a better color for deeper Latina and Asian, or light African-American skin tones. Good luck!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 8:50:10 AM
Author: vespergirl

Date: 10/8/2008 1:37:18 AM
You can always order it from the bare escentuals website (they have great kits) or from sephora.com, if you can''t find it in your area. The starter kits come with two different foundation colors, so one of them will probably suit you. The kits come in light, medium, tan, or dark, so they have a few to choose from. Just as a tip, I wear Medium Beige from the Medium kit, and I am Caucasian, Mediterranean heritage, with brown hair and brown eyes. Since I am sort of olive-skinned, I had originally ordered tan, but it was much too dark for me - I think that tan is probably a better color for deeper Latina and Asian, or light African-American skin tones. Good luck!
hey again Vesper - I''m so glad you bought up the shades, as it seems I have exactly the same colouring as you ! Same heritage, everything, lol..and I was trying to think if tan would be too much - I took the little "discover your shade" test thingo at Sephora.com and I decided medium would be best. Cheers for confirming for me!
Thankyou for the advice, however I''m in Australia, so neither of those sites ship here
7.gif

Wow, I wish we had Sephora here - now I understand why you gals call it the Mothership, lol ! I will try the dept storess tomorrow, no time today
5.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Aj ( i am abbreviating it cos it always spell it wrong sorry!)
I don''t really have dry skin at all. In fact I have an oily T but I find that around my eyes and the BM looks cakey and to old lady for me. I do use it though for camouflaging a red spot etc and sometimes use the finishing powder (forget its name) on my nose and forehead it is really good.
Have a consult buy one thing and get the rest on ebay. Its hideously expensive her and its easy to get ''sucked'' into wanting everything!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 9:36:35 PM
I don''t really have dry skin at all. In fact I have an oily T but I find that around my eyes and the BM looks cakey and to old lady for me. I do use it though for camouflaging a red spot etc and sometimes use the finishing powder (forget its name) on my nose and forehead it is really good.
Have a consult buy one thing and get the rest on ebay. Its hideously expensive her and its easy to get ''sucked'' into wanting everything!
Hey there! I just wanted to reply to this, because the first time I used the bare escentuals the same thing happened - I used the wrong brush & applied it incorrectly, and I thought it looked cakey. So, I went to Sephora to return it, but the girl showed me how to apply it while I was there, and it totally blended and looked natural when she did it. I think the kit comes with a DVD as well that shows you how to do it. I just wanted to mention it because when I used my drugstore brushes, instead of the buki brush, this is what happened - I don''t know if that''s what happened with katebar, but I just wanted to mention that application counts with this stuff
emsmile.gif

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
hi.... I actually started out using Sheer Cover...after one late night of watching infommmercials, LOL.

It made my skin break out like crazy! But I did love the look of the makeup, so a friend suggested I try bare Minerals instead. That did the trick, the break outs went away, right away!

And yes, you sign up for autoship, its the only way you can buy......they debit your card every so many weeks. They send too much product so you end up with lots of containers, and a huge bill. I sold mine all on Ebay.

goodluck!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou all so much for your replies ladies! (esp Vespergirl for the great info).
So I tried the Bare Minerals in the dept. store today and thought it looked really good, so I bought the "Get started kit" in medium!
Yes, it does come with a DVD, which I'm about to sit down and watch now.
I will let you all know how it goes in the next week or so !
1.gif

Oh, a question - what do those that use the product think about using other makeups at the same time? For example, I now have the starter kit which I will use of course for my base, but I have very dark circles, so I'd still like to use my YSL Touche Eclat concealer etc, and some blush from Lancome - that should be fine, right?

thankies!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 9:36:35 PM
Hi kate, no worries at all about my name , lol!
cheers for your reply - I have the same thing, really oily t-zone, so I''m hoping this will help that. Do you think its nay good as a concealer, or thats where it makes you look cakey?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2008 6:31:25 AM
Thankyou all so much for your replies ladies! (esp Vespergirl for the great info).
So I tried the Bare Minerals in the dept. store today and thought it looked really good, so I bought the ''Get started kit'' in medium!
Yes, it does come with a DVD, which I''m about to sit down and watch now.
I will let you all know how it goes in the next week or so !
1.gif

Oh, a question - what do those that use the product think about using other makeups at the same time? For example, I now have the starter kit which I will use of course for my base, but I have very dark circles, so I''d still like to use my YSL Touche Eclat concealer etc, and some blush from Lancome - that should be fine, right?

thankies!
I haven''t used BM AJ, but I have tried other mineral makeup and still used YSL TE and blusher no problem.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 7:01:13 AM
Author: Lorelei

I haven't used BM AJ, but I have tried other mineral makeup and still used YSL TE and blusher no problem.
Hi Lorelei, thankyou for your reply!

I just went and tried it all out, start to finish..swirl, tap and buff..lol..And I LOVE IT!!!!
36.gif

I had high expectations after reading the threads on here, but Wow! It really is fantastic - I had serious doubts it would cover my blemishes or circles just with that powder - but it really does.
I am extremely happy with the result - I am very much a "less is more" type for my makeup, so its great to have something that finally does look natural. And if it helps (or doesn't worsen) my blemishes, I will be stoked !
Sorry, I'm sounding like an infomercial partcipant, lol..
20.gif

Now I want to try their other stuff too! The powder eye liner looks really cool - somehow pencil now seems too harsh..

Thankyou everyone who gave me advice, I'm so glad I didn't get sheer cover, BM rocks!
9.gif

ok, gushing over - and no, I do not work for BM....
5.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have experimented with over 10 brands of mineral makeup (but not Sheer Cover). I absolutely love LaurEss and Joppa Minerals. Both of these brands come with a lot of olive, yellow, beige shades that might work for you. They also come in a variety of coverage from full to light. I have very sensitive/dry skin - these products worked well.

You should head over to MakeupTalk - there is a great subforum for mineral makeup. I can't directly link you right now because they are upgrading their site.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 4:40:00 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
I have experimented with over 10 brands of mineral makeup (but not Sheer Cover). I absolutely love LaurEss and Joppa Minerals. Both of these brands come with a lot of olive, yellow, beige shades that might work for you. They also come in a variety of coverage from full to light. I have very sensitive/dry skin - these products worked well.

You should head over to MakeupTalk - there is a great subforum for mineral makeup. I can''t directly link you right now because they are upgrading their site.
Thankies for the info and link Charmy - I have actually purchased Bare Minerals already and am really digging it!
Now the girls at work want to try it too - I will look at MakeupTalk, thankyou!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey there! I wanted to say that I usually just wear the BE, and I use the "summer bisque" concealer from BE under my eyes. However, I also use Touche Eclat with it sometimes, and it looks great too - it never cakes. I''m glad that you''re enjoying your new makeup! I knew that it was the one for me when I had been wearing it for about a month, and I was at the BE counter looking at buying a blush. A woman in the store came up to me & said, "is this the makeup that you use? If so I want to try it, because your skin looks so fresh & natural." I was so pleased & happy when she said that, because I''ve struggled with sensitive/combo/acne-prone skin my whole life, that was the first time I ever got a compliment on my complexion. So, I figured if it works well enough to get a compliment from a stranger, it must really be working! :)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t used it but have had success with mineral makeup. I have really sensitive skin and it works really well with me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results